Cheato questions

iplumbsome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a large refugium which currently has a ball of cheato in it larger than a basketball. It's been that size for a month or so. Does cheato only absorb nutrients only when it is actively growing so it would be better to trim often? Or does this large ball continue to absorb nutrients without it constantly growing?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae consumes as it grows. Look at your parameters and see if the chaeto is keeping the nitrates/phosphates at the level you prefer to maintain. If so, keep it around that size of a ball. People trim the chaeto when it starts to out grow its compartment... then if nutrients are still elevated, the chaeto will continue to grow...if nutrients are depleted, then the chaeto will stall or start to recede. You don't want it to recede though... dying chaeto releases nutrients back into your system.

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a large refugium which currently has a ball of cheato in it larger than a basketball. It's been that size for a month or so. Does cheato only absorb nutrients only when it is actively growing so it would be better to trim often? Or does this large ball continue to absorb nutrients without it constantly growing?
If it's not frowning that mean your water is fine when it grows fast that means your levels are high. If it is not growing and just living it is stable

OP
OP
iplumbsome

iplumbsome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not frowning that mean your water is fine when it grows fast that means your levels are high. If it is not growing and just living it is stable

It seems like it isn't growing anymore unless its just getting denser. I nitrates are still about 40 ppm. There is no harm and cutting it back to a small ball and keeping an eye on how fast it grows.

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like it isn't growing anymore unless its just getting denser. I nitrates are still about 40 ppm. There is no harm and cutting it back to a small ball and keeping an eye on how fast it grows.
Stability is key on my system I dont fo Many water changes my tank has about 3-4 pounds of cheato ir ir start to break up I know the water is to clean and I have to dose nitrates.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back