• Tone it down a bit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to measure some PAR using a Neptune PMK but not sure how accurate it is...

60 Gallon Cadlights Cube 24x24x24
(2) Hydra 26 HD running custom settings @ 73W each with 3D Reefing diffusers and mounted staggered
Lights ~10-11" from top of water
Clear mesh lid
2 MP40s in perpendicular sides running reef crest at about 45% max during peak
Measurements with Neptune PMK

The sensor was mounted on an acrylic rod I had and placed in position for about 5 minutes at each location.

900 readings are on top of the lid directly under the lights and all PAR readings in the tank includes the lid installed and powerheads on. Below also is my peak light schedule when I did the measurements.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ixowjWB0aYI/YHnVvUWpJOI/AAAAAAAAmj4/BkVQDme0Ij0KsEYOLPel2j8b-O8Pg_awACK8BGAsYHg/s0/2021-04-16.jpg?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Sc7pY0iSmpY/YHnXdC0sstI/AAAAAAAAmkM/sJeAux8RB8URZPv_V_LgR0MwO1iZN8ELACK8BGAsYHg/s0/2021-04-16.jpg?authuser=0

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just feel like my lighting schedule is pretty off as i can see one of my RBTAs that is nearest to the light starting to get translucent/bleach. Can anyone provide any suggestions on what I should do?

Should I change the light values and put it on acclimation mode? Any light profiles as a suggestion?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not suggesting you change the profile, but I have the Hydra32 HDs running the BRS suggested profile to mimik the AB+ spectrum. It's in my build thread if you are not familiar or check the BRS videos for more detail.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd probably get better coverage if you raised the lights a bit and moved them apart a bit. You wouldn't have to stagger them, and you'd get more even coverage on the whole tank without any major hotspots. The way you have them now, you're pretty hot in the middle and it falls off pretty fast at the sides.

Your PAR range looks decent, just suggesting ways to possibly improve it a bit more.

It all depends on what you're keeping too. The general rule for LPS and softies is the 75-150 range and SPS in the 200-300 range.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd probably get better coverage if you raised the lights a bit and moved them apart a bit. You wouldn't have to stagger them, and you'd get more even coverage on the whole tank without any major hotspots. The way you have them now, you're pretty hot in the middle and it falls off pretty fast at the sides.

Your PAR range looks decent, just suggesting ways to possibly improve it a bit more.

It all depends on what you're keeping too. The general rule for LPS and softies is the 75-150 range and SPS in the 200-300 range.

Thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking the same as you but I didn't want to buy new mounts as they are fixed and cannot be raised further. I was even contemplating to getting 1 XR30 gen 5 blue and just using 1 light which may be better for this setup? What do you guys think?

Currently I am trying out the AB+ profile with a 2 week acclimation period to see what happens.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been about a month and not getting the colors that I want from the corals. Not sure if its the lighting or the chemistry but all parameters seems to be on par.

Anyone with a 24" tall tank have any lighting suggestions or profiles that works great for coloring up corals?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back