Check out this video of a Biota captive bred Mandarin fish eating flake food!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions to get mandarins back on pellets? I recently received a pair and was waiting on pellet food to arrive by mail so all I had was Live baby brine shrimp for the first few days they were in the tank. Now they won't eat anything besides live baby brine.

saulgoodmannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions to get mandarins back on pellets? I recently received a pair and was waiting on pellet food to arrive by mail so all I had was Live baby brine shrimp for the first few days they were in the tank. Now they won't eat anything besides live baby brine.
I got mine to eat some, keyword SOME ocean nutrition formula 2 small pellets after soaking them in garlic guard mixed with Benepets and some frozen San Francisco Bay variety pack cubes. Soaked for 4-5 minutes and tried to target blast his zone and I saw him eat one of the pellets. My LFS said that a customer takes some airline tube that’s been hidden in some LR by drilling out a hole and then connects a syringe filled with food and does slow controlled blasts of crushed flake food with brine shrimp. The mandarin knows that rock feeds him and when it sees some food come out he eats whatever comes out of there. I’ve never seen it with my own eyes but considered doing it myself.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're mandarins from us they will feed on the diets we list on their product page. A nice trick we use here is shutting off flow right before feeding consistently. This has almost like a Pavlovian response where they'll get noticeably more active and looking for feeds when the flow is off.

It is always hard to compete with available live feeds because obviously they're more enticing to the fish so we sometimes see customers who preemptively add a ton of copepods have difficulty feeding until those copepods run out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back