Check Your Hanna Reagent NOW!!

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't been checking your Reagent before you use it to make sure it's good do it now. Both of mine were bad. So I have been accurately correcting my tank to bad readings from my Alk Reagent.

LOT 5423 IS BAD

Go to this link and enter your Lot number.

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

Guess I need to break out my Red Sea Test.

Last edited:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this same this this morning. I tested and it came up 137ppm which I thought was way low since I upped my kalk amount recently. So I opened a new bottle and it came out 194! Quite a difference. Good thing I retested it or it could have been bad news.

KingTriton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I saw this. Mine was one of the ones needing a replacement . I was confused for a little bit with the really low numbers. Thanks for the heads up!

Markandy405

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap mines been really low too. Ad judged my calcium reactor to make up for it too. I'll have to check when I get home thank you f for the heads up

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they all need to be replaced. I entered 2 that were purchased months apart.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
call Hanna Labs directly, they should accommodate anyone with bad reagents. I've had issues with my Phosphorous ULR reagents and their monitor is supposed to be the best for PO4 (Phosphorous x 3.0666/1000).

not sure why you don't just go with Salifert for Alk though... their Alk tests are easy/fast.

Hanna: (401) 765-7500

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was on the list :-( ... thought it seemed a little low... good thing I didn't adjust dosing yet

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer use these tests for similar reasons. Regardless of the Lot# and Expiration date I've found that the reagents go stale (oxidize?) quickly after first time use.... a noticeable difference. I discovered this by comparing results from the same lot number/expiration that were opened a month apart. Significant differences... 20ppm+. I did this comparison with two separate groups, same startling results. Since then I have used other test kits against one another, my red sea test has been in use for 6-8 months and in comparison with fresh tests, is still putting out accurate numbers.

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post. Just checked my brand new reagent I got from amazon a few months back needs to be replaced. Lot [HASHTAG]#5554[/HASHTAG]

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the look out!

Mine is a replacement.

I thought I messed up my kalk this week, changed brands from EVS to BRS - ALK went from 8.1 -10.3....I started to question my kalk & ato, but it doesn't / can't swing that high and kalk is kalk.....

I'm done with hanna, too many times & I almost changed some things, my fault for not double checking with my red sea as it was very suspicious.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested both my Hanna regents (both on the list), API and Redsea and they all came out approximately the same. I don't seem to have this issue.

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out the one I'm currently using is also lot#5554. I was using it and have been slowly increasing my alk dosing.

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad luck even got worst. I took out red sea KH test kit from 2014 and could not even tell when the test will get to final color. I search youtube and found my red sea reagent is also bad.

I contacted red sea website for replacement as well.

Last edited:

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explains a lot, like how my reef seemed to do better when the test was at 195+ and then when I dropped into the 150s like where I should be I lost almost everything. Over $1500 in acros gone, grrrr. Found 4 bottles that have all been recalled representing the past 8 months of testing and frustration.

Last edited:

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad luck even got worst. I took out red sea KH test kit from 2014 and could not even tell when the test will get to final color. I search youtube and found my red sea reagent is also bad.

I believe they all turn orange. I've always had this....I think I will call tomorrow to make sure.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer use these tests for similar reasons. Regardless of the Lot# and Expiration date I've found that the reagents go stale (oxidize?) quickly after first time use.... a noticeable difference. I discovered this by comparing results from the same lot number/expiration that were opened a month apart. Significant differences... 20ppm+. I did this comparison with two separate groups, same startling results. Since then I have used other test kits against one another, my red sea test has been in use for 6-8 months and in comparison with fresh tests, is still putting out accurate numbers.

Does your redsea turn the color on the paper or more of an orange?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back