OP
OP
crabbejoe

crabbejoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay you guys talked me into it. Trying a fan does sound a lot easier than tearing down the sump and replumbing. :)

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to even have a twin azoo fan setup that can clip right on the side of the sump if your interested!

Eric

OP
OP
crabbejoe

crabbejoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll just go with an el cheapo walmart fan. I'm not even sure an azoo fan would work on my sump, it's got a weird sized fat ledge to it.

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the fan

you could probably even put it on a timer where its only on from noon to 8 or so just for the summer.

OP
OP
crabbejoe

crabbejoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that that's the best way to do it. If you want to do hard corals, after the tank is cycled, and gone through the algea blooms, you should then put in only hard corals. What most do is put in some softies first because they're tougher or easier, but by doing that, it can make the tank inhospitable for the hard corals.

So has anyone else heard this? I think it was in an article on RC.

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights do you have? like mentioned above if you have halides make sure the cover or the bulb itself are not cracked. I have seen pics of a sps tank that bleached really fast and on investigation they found one of the SE bulbs was cracked in half but still lighting. The resulting UV radiation is very capable of causing massive damage.

intricable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cracked MH bulbs, by the way, start fires. The fire chief determined that one of our metal halides had catastrophic failure which started our house fire in March. Check your bulbs and connections often.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm still going to take all my softies out and start fresh with the 75 being only hard corals. I'll do a separate softy nano or something. I read somewhere that that's the best way to do it. If you want to do hard corals, after the tank is cycled, and gone through the algea blooms, you should then put in only hard corals. What most do is put in some softies first because they're tougher or easier, but by doing that, it can make the tank inhospitable for the hard corals.

Having housed soft corals in a tank that you eventually plan to keep stony corals in doesn't by any means, make it inhospitable. The concern with softies and stonies is the release of alells by the softies of which most often results in stunted growth of stony corals. The removal of the softies and some carbon filtration will remove all toxins they release thus seeming as if they were never there. If anyone can find evidence otherwise I'd sure be interested to see it.

Jeremy

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll just go with an el cheapo walmart fan. I'm not even sure an azoo fan would work on my sump, it's got a weird sized fat ledge to it.

Look at the other thread about the fan/chiller (I put the link in a message in this thread). It has a clip and it's only $15! I got one and it's on my sump. It works GREAT!

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that most fans don't function well when run for long hours under very humid conditions (like in or near a sump). I went through a dozen cheap wal-mart fans which would short out and send stray voltage through the tank and connecting wires after a few months use. I spent a little more on a higher quality fan with heavy duty construction and plastic outer molding and I've had it running for 2 yrs without trouble. It's called a vornado and works great.

Jeremy

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much head room do you have for a fan, and how much air are you looking to push? Last time I was there, Lowes had "small" (about 12" or 14' high) squirrel cage blowers and those things push a TON of air.

The Azoo fans do have a really strange requirement to the size of tanks they'll fit on. I tried some for my 125 and had to return them. Not sure if I tried them on my 40g sump or not.

I ended up ordering muffin-style fans on the the tank from Aquacave and have a regular (but really powerful) household fan in the stand.

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $12 fan from ace hardware mounted on a shelf pointing down at my rear chambers. The controller kicks it on when the tank reaches 78 and off at 77. It runs most of the time while the halides are on but keeps the tank under 82.

dont mind the mess
IMG_3238-1.jpg

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a fan similar to the one posted above, but I have mine on a shelf about 3' away from the tank, and it works great!

I can see if you had a canopy using the smaller discrete computer fans and such.

OP
OP
crabbejoe

crabbejoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having housed soft corals in a tank that you eventually plan to keep stony corals in doesn't by any means, make it inhospitable. The concern with softies and stonies is the release of alells by the softies of which most often results in stunted growth of stony corals. The removal of the softies and some carbon filtration will remove all toxins they release thus seeming as if they were never there. If anyone can find evidence otherwise I'd sure be interested to see it.
Jeremy

Sorry, I didn't mean that if you had at one time housed softies, that the tank could never house hard corals. I mean, and I think what the article means, is if you have a tank with softies currently in it, and try to add hard corals to the mix, it'll be more difficult for the hard corals to get going, than if you remove all the softies first, or never put softies in to begin with.

OP
OP
crabbejoe

crabbejoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much head room do you have for a fan, and how much air are you looking to push? Last time I was there, Lowes had "small" (about 12" or 14' high) squirrel cage blowers and those things push a TON of air.

The Azoo fans do have a really strange requirement to the size of tanks they'll fit on. I tried some for my 125 and had to return them. Not sure if I tried them on my 40g sump or not.

I ended up ordering muffin-style fans on the the tank from Aquacave and have a regular (but really powerful) household fan in the stand.

My sump is a 40 gallon long, same foot print as a standard 55, only shorter. I have it separate from the main 75g tank and stand, so I have no height restrictions.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't mean that if you had at one time housed softies, that the tank could never house hard corals. I mean, and I think what the article means, is if you have a tank with softies currently in it, and try to add hard corals to the mix, it'll be more difficult for the hard corals to get going, than if you remove all the softies first, or never put softies in to begin with.

Yep your right on with that one Joe!!

Jeremy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back