Chemiclean and airstone

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting too tired of the cyano in my new tank so I’m planning on just dosing chemiclean to rid myself of it (nitrates are ~7ppm and phosphates are 0.07ppm with flow from 2 MP40s running reef crest at 70%). I suspect that I had some on some rocks I added from my old tank and that has let it to take off more than normal. That said, I’ll keep running my skimmer without the cup but also got an air stone rated for 100g. Does this need to be run in the display or can I put it in the sump?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in the sump while treatment is going and no issues

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do run skimmer, reduce white light intensity and I Believe in ChemiClean as it Does work. Takes a little more time than many expect but then one day tank is white !
Siphon before treatment and DO NOT add coral foods or NoPox during treatment. Increase water flow if you can and direct towards sand bed but NOT at it

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do run skimmer, reduce white light intensity and I Believe in ChemiClean as it Does work. Takes a little more time than many expect but then one day tank is white !
Siphon before treatment and DO NOT add coral foods or NoPox during treatment. Increase water flow if you can and direct towards sand bed but NOT at it
I thought it makes the skimmer go crazy so you usually keep running it but remove the cup?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I used this stuff on my other tank, it took more than 2 days to clean out the cyano and I held off on doing the water change (also cared less as my tank was empty of livestock as I moved it all to my other tank). Should I wait to restart skimming, carbon, and the water change until it is all completely gone? Or is it that it’s done in 2 days and afterwards, it’s more just waiting for it to die off?

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemi clean 3 weeks ago, my tank was 100% clear by 48 hours, I removed skimmer cup and put the skimmer to max bubbles, if you do this you don't need to use air stone, skimmer is much more efficient in gas exchange.
At 48 hours placed cup back and did 20% water change. Everything looks great now.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always was planning/dis cup removal for further oxygenation and added a bubbler to be safe. Like I’ve said, I’ve done this once before and it took longer than 48 hours. I’m at the 24 hour mark and it doesn’t look really any different. Just curious about the water change of it hasn’t completely cleared at 48 hours.

mpbaker12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to turn my skimmer off (Octo-1000 HOB) or it just overflows. I am running an air stone and added another power head (3 total now) in my 125g. I added the chemiclean last night. Question I have though, I had my lights (3 Cetus 2’s) on a normal schedule, should I leave them off for o e day? I’ve read that I should turn off the reds but I’ve also read I should turn off the whites... will it hurt my anemones or corals to have the lights off?

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting too tired of the cyano in my new tank so I’m planning on just dosing chemiclean to rid myself of it (nitrates are ~7ppm and phosphates are 0.07ppm with flow from 2 MP40s running reef crest at 70%). I suspect that I had some on some rocks I added from my old tank and that has let it to take off more than normal. That said, I’ll keep running my skimmer without the cup but also got an air stone rated for 100g. Does this need to be run in the display or can I put it in the sump?
Dose correctly I’ve never used the stuff till Sunday. I posted a thread. Lol. It works!. The 48hrs is almost spot on. Some people notice a die off after 24 hrs. I knew it was dieing but didn’t set it gone till after 48 hrs. Everything popped right back. I did do lights off during treatment and I did feed the fish before hand. As they won’t be eating till tommorrow but yup it works.

Let the Skimmer overflow. You can run air stone anywhere. Remove the GFO and Carbon. You’ll be good if that’s the problem you have think hard about dosage. I did add more no issues.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to put the airstone next to my return pump intake and blow tiny bubbles throughout my display tank while running chemi-clean. The tiny bubbles are like little scrubbers picking up tiny debri in the water... you'll notice your filter socks will have more junk in them!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back