Chemiclean and Brown Jelly!!!

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
so here lately I have been battling some brown jelly with my torches, all other euphyllia has been fine and shown no issue. I have been dipping the torches into hydrogen peroxide dip, which appears to clean off the piece of any brown jelly giving the time for the torch to heal. I know that once developed brown jelly can spread. Yesterday I found that one of my hellfires had a small little piece of BJD on its side, and this torch has always been fully out and happy, but was somewhat near an affected piece. I am now concerned with the BJD spreading in my take, even through there are no current visual signs of brown jelly, at least that I can see. I have read that others have used chemiclean after seeing signs of brown jelly with success, does anyone know if this is true? I am not looking for it to cure the the pieces that have already been affect but rather then kill any BJD that might be floating around. Also for those that have use chemiclean in the past, has there been any adverse affects on the system after using it. Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you in advance

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
so here lately I have been battling some brown jelly with my torches, all other euphyllia has been fine and shown no issue. I have been dipping the torches into hydrogen peroxide dip, which appears to clean off the piece of any brown jelly giving the time for the torch to heal. I know that once developed brown jelly can spread. Yesterday I found that one of my hellfires had a small little piece of BJD on its side, and this torch has always been fully out and happy, but was somewhat near an affected piece. I am now concerned with the BJD spreading in my take, even through there are no current visual signs of brown jelly, at least that I can see. I have read that others have used chemiclean after seeing signs of brown jelly with success, does anyone know if this is true? I am not looking for it to cure the the pieces that have already been affect but rather then kill any BJD that might be floating around. Also for those that have use chemiclean in the past, has there been any adverse affects on the system after using it. Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you in advance
I would look into Cipro for BJD. Here is a great thread from @AquaBiomics https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ic-treatments-for-brown-jelly-disease.782438/

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown Jelly is a tough one to get past. I have found once it starts, it's hard to stop it from spreading. I would do a few water changes, and let things settle down for a while. For sure do not any add Eupyllia.

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of one wholesaler who swears by chemiclean dips. I don't know how much Chemiclean they use for a dip?There are some threads for dipping zoas with it. what you could try is making a dip, with enough Chemiclean to treat your whole tank with. mix it in a bowl, put your coral in it for 15 min then put your coral back in the tank and then you could add the dip to treat your whole tank like you were treating your tank for red slime.I never had a problem using Chemiclean. I think the dip for zoas was 2 scoops a quart of tank water.

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of one wholesaler who swears by chemiclean dips. I don't know how much Chemiclean they use for a dip?There are some threads for dipping zoas with it. what you could try is making a dip, with enough Chemiclean to treat your whole tank with. mix it in a bowl, put your coral in it for 15 min then put your coral back in the tank and then you could add the dip to treat your whole tank like you were treating your tank for red slime.I never had a problem using Chemiclean. I think the dip for zoas was 2 scoops a quart of tank water.
I was defiantly considering this as I have enough to treat the whole tank. I just wasnt sure the proper dosage rates or if anyone has had any success with chemiclean and BJD. I dont want to do to much at once to the tank, so at this point debating between Cipro or chemiclean. Chemiclean seems to be the safer option but havent seen anyone directly say they have had success with it and preventing spread. Cipro sounds like it would make sense but I believe to be risky has i have a fairly heavy bioload

brunera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost a beautiful octospawn and yellow hammer to what I believe is brown jelly. I didn't have any Chemiclean handy but my mom was just put on Cipro so I snagged one of her pills (sorry mom!). I put the first dose in the tank today. I'll try to remember to report back the results. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost a beautiful octospawn and yellow hammer to what I believe is brown jelly. I didn't have any Chemiclean handy but my mom was just put on Cipro so I snagged one of her pills (sorry mom!). I put the first dose in the tank today. I'll try to remember to report back the results. Fingers crossed!
Thank you, please keep me posted

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a believer in the idea that UV helps prevent the spread long-term, but of course there is no experimental evidence as the pathogen is not known (could be multiple presenting the same symptoms, as other studies suggested).

OP
OP
B

Borgie234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a believer in the idea that UV helps prevent the spread long-term, but of course there is no experimental evidence as the pathogen is not known (could be multiple presenting the same symptoms, as other studies suggested).
thanks, I also believe that it can help. I am using 55 watt for a 180 display but not all of the bacteria will go through the uv

Blackened

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked for years for something to help with BJD having had little success with typical aquarium fish antibiotics, peroxide, Etc

I’ve used Ciprofloxacin to bring back sickly anemones but never occurred to me to try it on BJD

thank you

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out for you?

Back