Chemiclean dosage 2nd treatmemt

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 180 and put recommended dosage..after 48 hours there is still a little but of cyano left..can I just dose the remaining amount of chemiclean without harming tank? It's a 300gallon total dosage. Or do I have to do a 20% water change first then does the rest?

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never done a water change while dosing. With that said I would follow the directions.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harm in following the instructions (20% water change after 48 hrs). If anything goes wrong, you won't kick yourself later..

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No harm in following the instructions (20% water change after 48 hrs). If anything goes wrong, you won't kick yourself later..
So water then change redose then water change again?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have always done that. 180+ gallons here as well

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dump the remaining if you still have cyano. If all cleared up, then save the rest. Minor outbreaks may only need one treatment.

The key is to figure out what is causing the cyano. Check your phosphate and nitrate if not already. Otherwise you're resetting only to get back there again.

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dump the remaining if you still have cyano. If all cleared up, then save the rest. Minor outbreaks may only need one treatment.

The key is to figure out what is causing the cyano. Check your phosphate and nitrate if not already. Otherwise you're resetting only to get back there again.
Dump after the water change ? Or can I do it now before the water change? I'd hate to do 2 40 gallon water changes

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going by the instructions, it's a 20% water change per treatment. Remember the measurement you put in is a 100% strength per treatment. The fact that there is some chemiclean product left over poses your question.
Same rules for each unique treatment.
Again, that's playing it by the instructions and many people do treat back to back without the water change and had no adverse issues. I personally didn't want to take risk with so much livestock invested. I did the 20% water change per treatment. Cleaned up all cyano and no impact to livestock. Granted the 2nd treatment is not full strength 300/180...

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going by the instructions, it's a 20% water change per treatment. Remember the measurement you put in is a 100% strength per treatment. The fact that there is some chemiclean product left over poses your question.
Same rules for each unique treatment.
Again, that's playing it by the instructions and many people do treat back to back without the water change and had no adverse issues. I personally didn't want to take risk with so much livestock invested. I did the 20% water change per treatment. Cleaned up all cyano and no impact to livestock. Granted the 2nd treatment is not full strength 300/180...
Exactly, thank you my friend

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back