Chemiclean, how long should I wait?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 month old, 240 gallon tank. 350 gallon system total. I have a cyano outbreak. Not too too bad, but I decided to dose it with chemiclean. I'm on the 3rd day, and the cyano hasn't diminished that much, if at all. One fly in the ointment is that I forgot to turn off my UV at first, UV was running for about 10 minutes after I added the chemiclean. Would that matter? I think I did everything else right - I disconnected carbon, and plumbed my skimmer overflow back into the sump.

The other thing I'm not clear on is the dosage. I added it by weight, not spoonful. The instructions said that to add 1 spoon per 10 gallons, and that it was .1 grams per spoonful. So I added 3.5 grams. But the bottle says that it contains 6 grams and treats 900 gallons. That math doesn't work. If it's .1 grams per 10 gallons, then the bottle would treat 600 gallons, not 900. What's up with that?

Anyway, should I give up and do a water change? Wait it out longer? Do a second dose?

Thanks!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 minutes won't matter, with the uv. Prolly time for wc and a second dose. Just went through this on my 120g, it took a double treatment to beat it. I didn't have a strong cuc since I had to break down my tank a few months ago, so I restocked that as well.

In terms of dosing, I never did it by weight, just one spoon per 10g. Total water volume between display and sump is only 130g or so.

Edit: IMHO, your tank is a bit big for a 25% wc, I'd just put in the second dose and then do a wc when your done. Which is what I did in my situation.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV being on for that short period would not impact it to the point of not working..
That is odd on the dosage by weight not adding up... I have always just counted the spoonfuls personally so im not much help there.

I would give it a few days. I have done 2 weeks without water change on service accounts and do feel in my experience that waiting a few days longer does help with the cyano. Now, just be ready to do multiple water changes over the next few days after the treatment period is over. More times than not GHA becomes the next battle due to the excess nutrients being released.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I do have a 100 gallon container filled with salt water, ready to go for when I do the WC. I'll stick it out a couple more days and see what happens.

Regarding spoonfuls, 35 spoonfuls seemed like too much to count out! I do have an accurate scale for doing it by weight, that seemed like the way to go.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!

I’m running into this problem as well. I want to dose by weight but per chemiclean it’s 100mg per 10 gallons which does not equal what the package says. 2 g would treat 200 gallons and not 300. Any ideas?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back