Chemiclean Results

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with what I thought was cyano. It’s been close to 48 hours since I dosed chemiclean. It wiped out almost all the red patches. I’m wondering if the stuff that remains is Dinos or if I should dose chemiclean again after doing a water change.

Attachments

• IMG_3077.MOV
    19.9 MB
OP
OP
DerekB4

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to post another video just in case the first one doesn’t work

Attachments

• 64504558546__E4EFB6EF-472D-48C7-8D9C-F08091956F7C.MOV
    2.9 MB

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've used Chemiclean to much success in the past, though it usually takes 2 rounds to be really effective. Just be sure to keep the water oxygenated (we leave the skimmer on with the level set low so it doesn't overflow). Can also point a powerhead or two at the surface of the water to churn it and increase gas exchange.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with what I thought was cyano. It’s been close to 48 hours since I dosed chemiclean. It wiped out almost all the red patches. I’m wondering if the stuff that remains is Dinos
most likely.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 2 rounds is effective. The first round seems to kill a lot of it. Remove what is left and then do a second round. Nothing comes back this way IME.

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks EXACTLY like what I have been dealing with. I was using a turkey baster to move it around and clean up the substrate and it would all come back after about an hour.

Since Tuesday, I started vacuuming the sand into a filter cup with filter floss (without removing the sand) back into the compartment in my sump that has a UV sterilizer and my skimmer. I replace the floss immediately after I'm done. I also stopped running my phosphate reactor because I read on this site that too low phosphate and nitrate can be conducive to dinos. Lastly, I slowed the flow through my UV. Since Tuesday, I have noticed a gradual decrease in the prevalence of the (unconfirmed) dinos, and what has returned definitely takes MUCH LONGER than an hour to reappear. I am planning to continue this regimen for the next week or two and evaluate whether to do a blackout for a couple of days.

That was longer than anticipated but I figured I would share in case you want to try any of those methods and see if they work for you. It's pretty simple stuff without adding any chemicals (yet/hopefully).

OP
OP
DerekB4

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the second round last night. Seems like all the reddish patches are gone. The brown strings and brown on my sandbed is still there.

I even vacuumed some of the sand during my water changed. Must have dinos too. Still planning on giving the second dose it’s full 48 hours though.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that cures new tank uglies is time. Best course of action is removing what you can by hand, bolster CuC, manage nutrients and possibly reducing white light. They don't sell a time machine in a bottle.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back