Chemiclean: skimmer going nuts, should I turn it off?

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know using Chemiclean will cause the skimmer to go nuts, the thing is, my skimmer is an HOB Aquamaxx so when the water is full in the cup it will fkow back into the tank. So is it pointless leaving it on? Still under treatment though.

20191111_205023.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, have it drain into a 5 gallon bucket and slowly add back saltwater until and it’s like doing a water change except this is how
Your property remove the chemi clean post treatment

But if I sit there taking care of the skimmer then it will take 48 hours. :/

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did chemiclean change?

When I ran it, airstone but no skimmer (because it just pulls out water) and do a 10% (I think) water change after the correct time. Rinse repeat if needed.

OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did chemiclean change?

When I ran it, airstone but no skimmer (because it just pulls out water) and do a 10% (I think) water change after the correct time. Rinse repeat if needed.

Yeah the cyano seems to reduce a bit so I think it's working.

So I'm good with leaving it off then do a wc later?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Just make sure to follow the instructions very closely. Chemiclean depletes the oxygen in the water so make sure you’ve got an airstone running if you have fish

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep it on as long as you’re around. It’s removing all the dying cyano. You don’t want to leave it in your tank. Instructions state to keep skimmer running.

OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep it on as long as you’re around. It’s removing all the dying cyano. You don’t want to leave it in your tank. Instructions state to keep skimmer running.

I understand. The thing is, it still leads the dying cyano back into the tank because the gunk that's supposed to be in the cup are now just water and water. When the cup is full of water it flows back into the tank...

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added chemiclean to my 14 g just a couple hours ago. I had to remove my skimmer because no matter how I set it the thing overfilled in 15 mins. I am running a strong airstone in its place. In my experience removing the skimmer has no Ill effects. I also turned off uv

nyc reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes remove the skimmer it’s just gonna overflow, put the air stone and remove the floating cyano when you do water changes (about 10%) for a few days until you’ve done a 50% water change overall. That is how I dealt with this situation, just make sure you get as much of the dead and dying cyano out.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. The thing is, it still leads the dying cyano back into the tank because the gunk that's supposed to be in the cup are now just water and water. When the cup is full of water it flows back into the tank...
What I mean is set aside some time to tend to it. Maybe spend 30 mins around it to clean the cup out then shut it off. I believe you need to do a 20% water change after the 48 hours. I’d probably try to aim for a bit bigger of a water change. I’ve used chemiclean before as well. Works just as advertised.

OP
OP
S

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is set aside some time to tend to it. Maybe spend 30 mins around it to clean the cup out then shut it off. I believe you need to do a 20% water change after the 48 hours. I’d probably try to aim for a bit bigger of a water change. I’ve used chemiclean before as well. Works just as advertised.

Thank you Scott, that seems to be a good way to help take out a portion of cyano.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back