ChemiClean Treatment for Cyano...UV Light ..On or Off?..any other Tips?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am doing my first Chemiclean treatment for Cyano. I have not used this product before. I removed the skimmer cup to allow more air bubbles into the tank. As for the UV, should it beturned on or Off during Chemiclean Treatments?

Also, I know there is a another through process to dose Bacteria daily and Hydrogen Peroxide nightly instead of CheniClean? Has anyone done these treatments in parallel? I believe my Cyano issue is related to ultra low Phosphate and Nitrates in my tank (I test using Hanna, BTW).

Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am doing my first Chemiclean treatment for Cyano. I have not used this product before. I removed the skimmer cup to allow more air bubbles into the tank. As for the UV, should it beturned on or Off during Chemiclean Treatments?

Also, I know there is a another through process to dose Bacteria daily and Hydrogen Peroxide nightly instead of CheniClean? Has anyone done these treatments in parallel? I believe my Cyano issue is related to ultra low Phosphate and Nitrates in my tank (I test using Hanna, BTW).

Thanks
How old is your tank? How long have you had cyano? Can you share some pictures?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your skimmer has a drain tube, open it and run it into a filter sock if you have. Also, once you're done, it will take a good week for your skimmer to calm and get back to normal. I ran the drain open and into the sock until is calmed. As for UV directions say turn off. This is for the 24-48 hrs of treatment. Also, I ran 2 airstones into the display even a day or 2 after I did a water change. You may need more air/oxygen than just the skimmer. I played it safe. Mine took 24 hrs to clear.

As for causes here are some thoughts:
From Algae Barn: Bad lights, stagnant water, tap water or RODI with more than 0 TDS, skipping water changes, old live rock, overfeeding, long photoperiods, low pH, lower quality salt, low oxygen levels, and lack of protein skimming are all major contributors.

Lack of flow and low PH, bad lights etc also contribute. Do a google search on "causes of cyano in a reef aquarium" as there are lots of other things that are thought to contribute like poor lighting, bad lighting, poor salt etc. I think it would be too high no3 and po4 for added causes not low. I think low pH and high no3 and po4 were my issues.

I treated with chemi clean and don't regret! Gone in 24 hrs and I waited until I was desperate to do it (have done many times and the skimmer is always a pain!) But when it started choking corals, I treated.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 4D111BC3-F8E4-44A1-8625-587FF5268D77.jpeg
    4D111BC3-F8E4-44A1-8625-587FF5268D77.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 0CC8A3DA-20AE-4EC1-A2AB-850438D9377E.jpeg
    0CC8A3DA-20AE-4EC1-A2AB-850438D9377E.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your skimmer has a drain tube, open it and run it into a filter sock if you have. Also, once you're done, it will take a good week for your skimmer to calm and get back to normal. I ran the drain open and into the sock until is calmed. As for UV directions say turn off. This is for the 24-48 hrs of treatment. Also, I ran 2 airstones into the display even a day or 2 after I did a water change. You may need more air/oxygen than just the skimmer. I played it safe. Mine took 24 hrs to clear.

As for causes here are some thoughts:
From Algae Barn: Bad lights, stagnant water, tap water or RODI with more than 0 TDS, skipping water changes, old live rock, overfeeding, long photoperiods, low pH, lower quality salt, low oxygen levels, and lack of protein skimming are all major contributors.

Lack of flow and low PH, bad lights etc also contribute. Do a google search on "causes of cyano in a reef aquarium" as there are lots of other things that are thought to contribute like poor lighting, bad lighting, poor salt etc. I think it would be too high no3 and po4 for added causes not low. I think low pH and high no3 and po4 were my issues.

I treated with chemi clean and don't regret! Gone in 24 hrs and I waited until I was desperate to do it (have done many times and the skimmer is always a pain!) But when it started choking corals, I treated.
Hi Susan...how soon after your treatment before you did a water change?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures.. I assume this is Cyano?
The frag rack can be taken out and rinsed off.
I wouldn't do chemi-clean until you've exhausted all other natural treatments.

You may throw things way out of whack just treating the cyanobacteria.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan...how soon after your treatment before you did a water change?
right away. But I'm lazy so I just started doing my awc with the DOS. Took 5 days to get my 20% but I didn't want the huge spike or dump in my a/c/m

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag rack can be taken out and rinsed off.
I wouldn't do chemi-clean until you've exhausted all other natural treatments.

You may throw things way out of whack just treating the cyanobacteria.
the treatment didn't affect anything in my tank, and by doing a water change over 5 days I didn't change my a/c/m too much either. But I did wait until the cyano was starting to cover corals. and this was done about a week after reef
flux

Back