Chemiclean with or without filter floss??

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been reading about Chemiclean and know about removing carbon, turning off UV, adding air bubbles and making the skimmer overflow to aerate the water. What I haven't been able to find out is if we should remove the mechanic filtering (filter socks, roller, floss) during the treatment. Does anyone know?
Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I done both ways, it didn’t seem to matter.
This time out for 48 and then water change and back in.
If it’s Cyanobacteria, use at least the full dose for your volume, I used 1.5 times the dose to ensure adequate level to kill off that bacteria or it works, but leaves some red dust which is annoying.

I have not encountered any ill effects of using this product or Red slime remover.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey uncle, thanks for the quick reply. In that case I guess I will leave my filter floss in there. I have a trigger platinum and although the roller is wonderful, removing it and setting it back up is a bit of a pain.
You mentioned you have used it multiple times, has that been in different tanks or has it come back after the treatment?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it 3 times now. It does kill cyno.

(Green strand confirmed with microscope) First time I did 13 scoops for about 135 Gallons of water. 48 hours then water change. Replaced carbon. I lost a frag and 1 was on the fence but recovered.

Little over a month later different strand(Red) moved in. I did 7 scoops and 48 hrs then water change. Replaced carbon. No losses, corals were fine.

6 weeks later, started coming back. I did 8 scoops and then waited 72 hours before a water change. Actually waited about a week before I added carbon back in because I got a carbon reactor and wanted to install it instead of media bags in the sump. No losses. It's about 4 weeks after the last dose, I have not seen signs of cyno yet. /cross fingers.

I'm still trying to figure it out, but anyway, thought I would throw in my experience.

It does add a fair amount of slimey residue in the water and I would suspect you'll need to change/replace your filter socks if left in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back