Chemistry / Tank’s 1 Year Anniversary, how am I doing?

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My 400 gallon tank is approaching the 1 Year mark and overall I think the tank is doing pretty good. Fish and inverts are all been perfectly healthy, that said, I do struggle with keeping all of my Acro’s alive. Also, occasionally I’ll see a light brown algea that gets on ~10% of my corals and it usually kills them (primarily Goni’s seem to be susceptible.). Also, I just lost a bounce mushroom that has been doing great for about 6 months ‍but again I feel like overall things are doing ok. Here are my levels;

pH - 8.35
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Nitrite. - 0 ppm
Phosphate - .09
Alkalinity - 9.48
Calcium - 428
Salinity - 40.5

I have almost zero coralline algea growth, but other algeas seems to be coming in at a normal/healthy pace.

I run skimmer 24/7.

I do run a large UV a few days per week.

My sump is a 72” long and I keep the fuge lights on 24/7. The chaeto is growing like wildfire so I remove 2 large handfuls per week.

I haven’t added bacteria since I cycled the tank.

I was worried my system is too “steril” because of the frequent use of the UV system and also because I run the fuge lights 24/7.

I have 4 tangs, 1 fox face, 5 fire fish, 2 clowns, 2 azure damsels.

Anything jump out at you as being way off, or any suggestions to have an even better Year 2 with the tank? TY

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDallasCollector

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to feed meaty foods more generously? Your phos is fine, so you don't want to increase that necessarily (coral foods, pellets, etc).
I will start doing that, right now I feed 2 frozen cures of mysis, so I’ll bump it up to 4. (The shrimp are going to be in heaven!)

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 40? Is that a mistake? Kinda hight for mushrooms and zoas if yo have them , they just kinda melt away...
Thats a bit high...35 is key or somewhere between 32 to 35...

OP
OP
TheDallasCollector

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 40? Is that a mistake? Kinda hight for mushrooms and zoas if yo have them , they just kinda melt away...
Thats a bit high...35 is key or somewhere between 32 to 35...
Happened to me, my nice bounce mushroom turned to mush. My Apex salinity checker was telling me 35.5 but my Hanna (which I just got) told me 40. Problem addressed. To your point, I bet the hyposalinity caused a few more issues I wasn’t happy with.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch. Everything else looks good except that you want to raise nitrates. If heavier feeding isn’t sufficient, look up Randy Holmes-Farley’s post on dosing food grade sodium nitrate. He links to a dosage calculator used by freshwater aquascapers!

OP
OP
TheDallasCollector

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch. Everything else looks good except that you want to raise nitrates. If heavier feeding isn’t sufficient, look up Randy Holmes-Farley’s post on dosing food grade sodium nitrate. He links to a dosage calculator used by freshwater aquascapers!
Awesome thanks, I’ll check that out. If doubling down in the feedings doesn’t change things much change in 7 - 10 days then I will resort to a dosing Plan B

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back