OP
P

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon tank (with crazy filtration)... slow pumps in the tank though. 4 RBTA, some macro algae, orange sponge, and rockwork.. snails, hermits, 2 clowns, 2 blue stripe pipefish, 2 banded pipefish, and wait for it... a cherub angel and 2 seahorses. no issues at all. .. now to be honest, the clowns dont care for the angel, so they chase him around a bit, but 3 years and running :)
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience with the cherub What amazes me is that you don't have issues with the anemones! I thought that was one of the hard no's. What species of seahorse do you have that knows to avoid them?

OP
OP
P

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon tank (with crazy filtration)... slow pumps in the tank though. 4 RBTA, some macro algae, orange sponge, and rockwork.. snails, hermits, 2 clowns, 2 blue stripe pipefish, 2 banded pipefish, and wait for it... a cherub angel and 2 seahorses. no issues at all. .. now to be honest, the clowns dont care for the angel, so they chase him around a bit, but 3 years and running :)
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience with the cherub What amazes me is that you don't have issues with the anemones! I thought that was one of the hard no's. What species of seahorse do you have that knows to avoid them?

OP
OP
P

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those still following, I said I'd give an update. That's still coming. I chose to delay introducing the cherubs because of a bout with external gas's bubble disease and pouch emphysema. I didn't want to add any more stress by introducing a new fish. Hopefully, I'll be getting the cherubs at the beginning of the new school year in September!

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One dwarf angel that I've always thought would make for a good candidate as a SH tankmate is the Golden Dwarf Angel. From what I've read, they are the most peaceful of the dwarf angels by far, albeit pretty cryptic and likely to be seen minimally in a tank, so I don't see them outcompeting SHs for food or stressing them out. As far as I'm aware, they are the only Centropyge that LiveAquaria lists as Peaceful and not Semi-Aggressive (https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1154/?pcatid=1154). I saw that Bali Aquarich recently produced CB specimens that I've been starting to look out for (https://reefbuilders.com/2021/06/14/captive-bred-golden-angelfish/). Might be worth giving these guys a shot as SH tankmates. I know wild caught specimens rarely do well because of collection methods.

Last edited:

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One dwarf angel that I've always thought would make for a good candidate as a SH tankmate is the Golden Dwarf Angel. From what I've read, they are the most peaceful of the dwarf angels by far, albeit pretty cryptic and likely to be seen minimally in a tank, so I don't see them outcompeting SHs for food or stressing them out. As far as I'm aware, they are the only Centropyge that LiveAquaria lists as Peaceful and not Semi-Aggressive (https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1154/?pcatid=1154). I saw that Bali Aquarich recently produced CB specimens that I've been starting to look out for (https://reefbuilders.com/2021/06/14/captive-bred-golden-angelfish/). Might be worth giving these guys a shot as SH tankmates. I know wild caught specimens rarely do well because of collection methods.
i have had those before.. .they are extremely shy... non-aggressive..they are a bit bigger than a pygmy angel. they are the size of a coral beauty.

OP
OP
P

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I got the pygmy angels. They have been sharing the tank with my pair of H. erectus for a month now. There is zero competition for food and the cherubs don't bother the seahorses one bit. They mostly just we've in and out of small caves in the rockwork. The female Ocellaris clown was not happy with them though. She was quite aggressive towards them when they were added, especially at feeding time. Although things have calmed down now, she still chases them a good bit. It's not a concern, though, as they are faster and smaller so dart places she can't fit.
The Cherubs came from Allyssa, who gets them from collectors in Florida. I've read that the Floridian variety is even smaller than the the Caribbean, maxing out at about 2 inches. These are just over 1 inch now and really don't eat all that much per feeding as they timidly sneak out of the rockwork to sneak morsels when the clown isn't looking. I can't imagine them ever being an issue for adult seahorses.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their experience!

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pygmy’s safe if you are keeping gorgonians with seahorses?

OP
OP
P

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any problems, although it's still early in the game. The angels haven't shown any interest in my gorgs. From my understanding, it's things like Micromussa that are most at risk, but it's usually not an issue as long as the Angels are well fed. I have s few of those too and they haven't been bothered. So far, they have not touched any of my corals, and I have a fairly wide veriety.

OP
OP
P

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any problems, although it's still early in the game. The angels haven't shown any interest in my gorgs. From my understanding, it's things like Micromussa that are most at risk, but it's usually not an issue as long as the Angels are well fed. I have s few of those too and they haven't been bothered. So far, they have not touched any of my corals, and I have a fairly wide veriety.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back