Chesapeake Bay Oyster Reef Biotope Tank

TheLarkInn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, I’m running a cold water PNW Biotope also with Oysters. Mine started to spawn in my 55 gal and the water was so cloudy I began being concerned it was starting to choke out some creatures (little research shows that oyster spawn ALOT of sperm and eggs into the water). Nems we’re acting as if ammonia was way up but water tests all showed normal.

So just a heads up for you that you might encounter this during the summer times when oysters spawn.

OP
OP
Chasmodes

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've posted an oyster reef tank update, so now I finally have something worth updating and showing. I've kept a sloppy tank with the fish and inverts since my last post about this tank, nothing like my 20g tank when it was in its heyday. But, I've added enough structure to the tank and cleaned things up, and I have a decent selection of fish and invertebrates, so I decided to resume some videos on this topic. I hope you enjoy the update.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is great to see you continuing this thread (and great to see you!)!!! I look forward to the upcoming videos!

OP
OP
Chasmodes

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had a near catastrophe today. I was talking to a buddy of mine on the phone while watching the fish in my 20g oyster reef tank. I have three striped blennies, one male and two females. They always come to the front of the tank to beg for food when I show up. Usually the bigger of the two females is first to the front, then that draws the attention of the other two.

Today, like clockwork, the larger female came to the front, followed by the male. After about 10 minutes of talking on the phone, I still hadn't seen the other female. Then, out of the corner of my eye, on top of the glass tank lid, I saw something flop. It was the other female, all dried up. She had been out there for at least 10 minutes before I got down there, maybe more. Next, by instinct, I picked her up and dropped her into the tank. She sank to the bottom and landed upside down, barely breathing but still trying to move a little.

Well, that drew attention of one of the skilletfish that would have gladly taken advantage of her situation and probably would have started to try and feed on her. If I hadn't done anything, the other three skilletfish would have done the same.

So, I quickly ran into my storage area and pulled out my mesh breeder box, and affixed it to the back of the inside of the tank, and put an airstone in there for circulation, then scooped her up and placed her into the breeder. She was on her side barely breathing for several minutes. It didn't look good.

I couldn't take it any more so I decided to leave and check back in 15 minutes and try and come up with a plan to save her. When I checked back, she was sitting upright like blennies do, breathing OK, and swimming around, trying to figure out how to get out of her new prison. She seems OK. I'm going to leave her in there until later, for her sake, to make sure nobody picks on her.

What a relief!

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love biotope tanks! Can we get a full tank shot of your oyster biotope as it is now? Hope the tank is doing well, so glad to see your blenny was okay!

OP
OP
Chasmodes

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you LegalReefer, Dawn and Squid!

Well, sad news, the female blenny that I saved developed a bacterial infection, starting at the tail. I guess that because she was out of the water so long, she lost her protective slime and could never recover. As soon as I saw it, I put her in QT and treated her with antibiotics. The bacterial infection progressed faster than she could recover, and after a few days, over half of her body was consumed by the infection and she stopped eating. When that happens, there is little hope. She passed away that night.

My larger tank is coming along nicely. I have a video linked at the end of the post that shows everything that I've done so far, and what I am going to accomplish by the end of this month or sooner, so less to read LOL. I'm going fish collecting twice this weekend, so I should be able to stock up! I hope that you enjoy the video update.

OP
OP
Chasmodes

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be posting an update soon about my fish collecting adventures this past weekend. I had success catching my target species, but unfortunately, the blennies are too tiny to add to the tank. They'd be fish food for the adult fish in the tank LOL.

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are really progressing Kevin! I love how your oyster clusters fit together but can be changed up to reconfigure the aquascape. This tank is going to be so cool, I just love the whole idea. It's such a neat biotope and especially with you collecting everything. It's reminiscent of being a kid and making an enclosure for a newly captured pet. Except that this tank has had a lot more thought put into it for the pets' wellbeing, LOL. (My mom usually made me release my captured pets back into the wild for their well-being!).

I can't wait to see it wet and up and running!

OP
OP
Chasmodes

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Dawn. I certainly feel like a kid again when I'm out collecting fish. That never changes. I think that if it did, I'd lose interest in the hobby.

Finally, a fish collecting video. In this video, we go in search of fish for the oyster reef tank. Hope y'all like it!

OP
OP
Chasmodes

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Floyd! Yeah, I guess that it does a little if I don't clean out my filter and keep up with my water changes! I don't have much mud in there now, just sand from the Bay. I thought about adding a layer of mud underneath to grow eelgrass, but decided against it, at least for now.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Dawn. I certainly feel like a kid again when I'm out collecting fish. That never changes. I think that if it did, I'd lose interest in the hobby.

Finally, a fish collecting video. In this video, we go in search of fish for the oyster reef tank. Hope y'all like it!

Great video and very interesting! I hope all the new acquisition do well for you in QT.

I will look forward to seeing the new oyster cluster biotope up and running. What fun.

Oh yeah, I am curious what the salinity usually is when you collect fish and such. And I still use a swing arm hydrometer too, LOL!

OP
OP
Chasmodes

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Dawn!

I use that hydrometer in the field, but I have a Hanna Instruments one for home use. We collect them anywhere from an SG of 1.009 to 1.015 depending on how much rain and time of year it is. The further South, the greater the SG. I've collected as high as 1.020. I keep my tanks at 1.015. One large rain storm can change the salinity several points overnight, and can affect what species you collect at each spot. We usually hit four of five spots, but this year, so far, only two spots have been productive.

I shot another collecting video since the last one, and we got some adult fish for the tank, including 3 beautiful blennies. Sadly, one died in QT along with a couple gobies. Of course, it was the only day that I couldn't have been there as I was out on family plans. I think it was a chain reaction type of thing, where a fish died and the ammonia spiked, taking a couple more with it. I did a 75% water change and restocked with bottled bacteria. I've been dosing that every day, of course, except for that one day.

In this trip, we collected several mummichogs, four spot, three blennies, three adult skilletfish, and an accidential goby that hitchhiked in some Ulva that I brought home. All of the fish are in QT at full copper treatment levels. At the end of the video, I give an update of the tank, but it's a little old now. Since then, I've almost completed (cut and dry fitted) the return plumbing, but I'm waiting for a couple parts to come in (tomorrow or Wednesday).

Next steps, sift and wash the sand that we collected, finish the return line plumbing, install the lighting, fill with water and test for leaks, and then mix up salt and seed the tank. After that, it will be time to stock. Sand from the 20g tank will seed this tank along with biological material from the filter, and then I will move everything from that tank to the new tank. After that, it's just a few cosmetic things to finish. Almost there!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back