Waterbox 7225 Chicago SPS Reef

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long wait, but the waterbox 7226 peninsula is alive.
I’ve been in the hobby for over 20 years since being a little kid and haven’t had a tank in 5 years. During this time I always wanted one, have been reading the forums but it just wasn’t the right time to set a tank up. I’ve been scheming this one for a while :)

Looking forward to sharing the progress of what I hope will be a great mixed reef.

7A6FE004-990A-4944-8B7A-242EB99FB371.jpeg

893C8FBB-2044-4DE2-9044-A57FD2F277F4.jpeg

Fast forward almost a year and a half and here’s where we are now:
A5F32B57-D8FC-4495-899D-737F4B7FFC0C.jpeg

929BAEBB-7ADA-4D82-9293-E7A306084AEB.jpeg

8E42263B-37C8-41B5-A4E4-ABE184F36056.jpeg

747B4FDF-13F4-4B74-BCC1-401B02EFAD04.jpeg

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Hope the angel works out

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea there’s quite a bit to update @Devaji the tank looks totally different.

Was planning to do one soon actually... will post an update in the next week or so.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea there’s quite a bit to update @Devaji the tank looks totally different.

Was planning to do one soon actually... will post an update in the next week or so.

I am excited to see them. I am loosely thinking about this take as a room divider in the new house. and to go with my RS 750...haha

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a matter of if but when will the angelfish eat or pick at corals

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 7226 if you have the space @Devaji . Also waterbox has been great in my experience, easy setup, minimum issues (knock on wood)

@Waterislife fact. Unfortunately the emperor over night went on a polyp rampage after 3 months no issues. She is no longer in the system. Waiting to see if this happens with a potters

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 7226 if you have the space @Devaji . Also waterbox has been great in my experience, easy setup, minimum issues (knock on wood)

@Waterislife fact. Unfortunately the emperor over night went on a polyp rampage after 3 months no issues. She is no longer in the system. Waiting to see if this happens with a potters
I have a majestic angel that picks at my polyps all the time keep some in constant irritation but never eats them, so I just let it go. Even though Potter's are dwarfs, I've heard that can be really picky at stuff. One of the key things to keeping Angels in any reef is to have a large tank where they can't concentrate on one particular thing kind of spread it out over so to speak, at least that's the way it works in my 210

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would love the 7226 we bought an old house and on man it's turning into quite the reno new floors down to the joist ,new ceiling support rafters new kitchen new bath new insulation...OMG $$ so not even sure if I can pull it off, or if should put that much weight on the new floor even with more support.

If I did a would do a angel tang and butterfly FOWLR I have always wanted butterfly's and one large angel prop a emp. bummer he had to go I would have no corals so I can keep all the buggers that em them!

anyway i am hijacking your build thread now ... haha
post the updates when you can :D

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work

If it’s FOWLR, go big - you’ll be happy for better fish selection / get the fish you want.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so it's been a little bit, but I finally got the waterbox back on track.

To say the tank has been through a lot since March is a major understatement. There's been highs and lows, but mostly lows including a SPS crash, tank completely overrun with turf algae, prazipro resistant flukes, I'm sure there's more battles I've had to overcome not mentioned. And Im not kidding on the turf algae battle:
IMG_5366.PNG

Major thanks to R2R helping me get through these battles and get the tank back on track. Thanks @Chaswood79 @EmptyWallet @motortrendz @ScottB for being super resourceful, creators of Vibrant (thank you) & @aquavista99 @therman & Todd & Brett @CherryCorals getting the acros restocked.

Tank is frag land again, but encrusting!

My brother created a custom canopy to hide all the XR15's which really took the peninsula look to the next level. All powerheads are on the back end too, so its nice and clean up front.

IMG_5200.jpg

I'm still waiting for things to really settle, coralline is slowly kicking in so in the meantime here's some shots of the best part of the tank, the fish!

Always hungry Quoyi Parrot:
IMG_5403.jpg

The gang:
IMG_5435.jpg

Scopas Yellow Hybrid:
IMG_5422.jpg

Updates will be more frequent when the coral nubs are less nubby.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awsome!!
Have you had any problems with the parrotfish nipping coral?
What are your impressions of the waterbox 7226?, I'm saving for a bigger tank and this is my target currently and I saw one in person for the first time today but couldn't get the door closest to the overflow to open.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Peach02 !

no issues with the parrot at all! Only eats algae. I may of seen him nip the edge of acros two times but it always was receding tissue edges.

It really is a great tank. But the door limitations on the end compartments (only one door out of two open and you can’t pick which side) is a negative. Great tank tho!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so it's been a little bit, but I finally got the waterbox back on track.

To say the tank has been through a lot since March is a major understatement. There's been highs and lows, but mostly lows including a SPS crash, tank completely overrun with turf algae, prazipro resistant flukes, I'm sure there's more battles I've had to overcome not mentioned. And Im not kidding on the turf algae battle:
IMG_5366.PNG

Major thanks to R2R helping me get through these battles and get the tank back on track. Thanks @Chaswood79 @EmptyWallet @motortrendz @ScottB for being super resourceful, creators of Vibrant (thank you) & @aquavista99 @therman & Todd & Brett @CherryCorals getting the acros restocked.

Tank is frag land again, but encrusting!

My brother created a custom canopy to hide all the XR15's which really took the peninsula look to the next level. All powerheads are on the back end too, so its nice and clean up front.

IMG_5200.jpg

I'm still waiting for things to really settle, coralline is slowly kicking in so in the meantime here's some shots of the best part of the tank, the fish!

Always hungry Quoyi Parrot:
IMG_5403.jpg

The gang:
IMG_5435.jpg

Scopas Yellow Hybrid:
IMG_5422.jpg

Updates will be more frequent when the coral nubs are less nubby.
Not sure how I helped but glad I did. :) your tank looks awesome!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back