Chill Solutions Thermoelectric Chiller • CSXC-1? will it work for me?

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I posted another post on cooling my tank but thought I would start again with a more specific question.

I have a 16 Gal 58 ltr nano. I Live in perth Western Australia, it gets hot in summer here! with about 40 days or so a year above 100F. I cant really afford a conventional chiller. Or to run my Air-con all day and night. I thought about fans but dont think they will cut it when I really need them. I thought of buying a heat controller to turn of lights and turn on fans......but like I said I am not convinced.
Has any body had experience with a Chill Solutions Thermoelectric Chiller • CSXC-how god are they for my climate I just have a feeling they may not cut It or they may be marginal as I am not very familier and they are so small. Could anybody clarify for me please? Of are there any refrigeration mechanics/engineers on here?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK since my MAC does copy and paste horribly go to the search engine on this site and use the full name of the product, it should be the first or second story.

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks blue spot:) great artical. Seems it would work for me...............BUT.............The cost in Australia I have just found out............IS...............wait fot it.............$620.00 Australian dollars! Including shipping!.......nope!
I can buy a Hailea 130A Aquarium Chiller 1/15HP brand new for $499.00+ running costs
So My plan is:
1.Use a fan hooked up to an inkbird 308 I can also use the app to remotley see my tank temp on my phone.
2. Turn my wavemaker off at night by using a timer.
3.Monitor my tanks response to temperature and use my room aircon on days where I predict the tank temp will

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks blue spot:) great artical. Seems it would work for me...............BUT.............The cost in Australia I have just found out............IS...............wait fot it.............$620.00 Australian dollars! Including shipping!.......nope!
I can buy a Hailea 130A Aquarium Chiller 1/15HP brand new for $499.00+ running costs
So My plan is:
1.Use a fan hooked up to an inkbird 308 I can also use the app to remotley see my tank temp on my phone.
2. Turn my wavemaker off at night by using a timer.
3.Monitor my tanks response to temperature and use my room aircon on days where I predict the tank temp will
Nowhere near worth that price. I hardly found any benefit from mine.

Check local ads for chillers. I got a 1/10HP JBJ Arctica for $150 USD off Craigslist. Chillers actually work, thermoelectric peltier coolers are weak at best.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, Aussie dollars are too much. I will try to keep remembering that the US has great pricing. Your idea on a fan should work great, I had mine a deluxe timer that allowed to variable the speed of the computer fan, kept my canopy cool with dual MH build in there. So a cheap clip-on fan with a controller should do the trick.

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I posted another post on cooling my tank but thought I would start again with a more specific question.

I have a 16 Gal 58 ltr nano. I Live in perth Western Australia, it gets hot in summer here! with about 40 days or so a year above 100F. I cant really afford a conventional chiller. Or to run my Air-con all day and night. I thought about fans but dont think they will cut it when I really need them. I thought of buying a heat controller to turn of lights and turn on fans......but like I said I am not convinced.
Has any body had experience with a Chill Solutions Thermoelectric Chiller • CSXC-how god are they for my climate I just have a feeling they may not cut It or they may be marginal as I am not very familier and they are so small. Could anybody clarify for me please? Of are there any refrigeration mechanics/engineers on here?

Same issue here. Also in Perth WA. Just got a waterbox 130.4 (480L Inc sump). I'm hoping the increased volume will help with temp stability but am also mindful of the heat. Gonna be 37°C today.

There's no way I'm going to get anything with a compressor past the wife. I guess I'm going to be filling my ato with ice

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

stomer Reviews
Based on 50 reviewsWrite a review
Works great
Marc on Sep 25, 2020
Gets the job done and is very quiet. It lowered my 28g Nano cube from 84 degrees to 79 degrees. My only conplaint/warning is the hoses that come with the kit (sold separately) are incredibly flimsy and can kink easily. If you don't have a direct route from the chiller to tank, take that into consideration. Overall, fantastic chiller for the price.
Report as Inappropriate
Chills
Daniel Perez on Sep 24, 2020
Bought this for my Biocube 32 ... connected together with a controller, it chills my tank as needed. Best investment I made for my saltwater fishtank.
Report as Inappropriate
WHisper Quiet
Carl on Sep 21, 2020
Great chiller for a small tank. Before I bought the chiller my tank would range up to 6 degrees in a day. Now I'm in a narrow 1 degree variance. Nice.

Also...very quiet. The tank is in my living room and we cannot hear the chiller. My wife is thrilled.
Report as Inappropriate
Chiller for clone machine
Ken Martin on Jul 07, 2020
I am using the CSXC-1 to chill the root chamber of an Aeroponic Clone Machine... and it works like a dream! I am able to keep the cuttings and the rooted cuttings at the optimum temperature to prevent diseases from forming. I am in the early stages of using the chiller, but it was able to drop the root chamber temperature from 70 F to 67 in less than 1 hour. It does not appear to add much heat to the room. The unit turns off once the desired temperature is reached. The unit seem to accurate to about 0.5 F.
I highly recommend this for small volume reservoirs (my clone machines have 4 gallon reservoir). The misting nozzle draws nutrient solution from the chilled reservoir and sprays the stems of the cuttings. The spray keeps the root chamber at the desired temperature, even with a room temperature of 75 - 80 F.
Report as Inappropriate
Great mini chiller
Emil Stanei on May 19, 2020
I run a Fluval EVO 13.5 gal. My home temp and my comfort zone in summer are at 78F. Without a cooling system, my saltwater aquarium will have a temp above 82-82.7. To achieve 79F in my aquarium, I have to run my house temp at 74-76F. Is not my comfort zone is too cold for me. This mini chiller is just amazing and is doing what is supposed to do—cooling down my aquarium, keeping a constant temp of 79F. 79-79.5F is my chosen temp for my reef tank. I set up my CXSC-1 at 78.5F and my heater at 77F. I do not use any cooling/heating controller. I just rely upon CXSC-1 thermostat and Cobalt heater thermostat. I have two additional thermometers in the tank, with all of them around 0.3-0.5 F temp difference.
In this hobby, Heating the aquarium is not a problem; cooling down the aquarium is a problem and is a must. I have no idea how long this mini chiller will last, but when it is working is making a difference in temp control. Beautiful design, efficiency 100% for my 13.5 gal tank. I can not speak for bigger tanks, but for my set up is a perfect match. It is not cheap, but it is worth it. A saltwater hobby is not cheap by default, so as long as everything works, the cost of the chiller makes sense.

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ffiren and vetteguy53081, Thanks for getting back , I decided to go with a fan I bought at ocean reef aquariums. on the 37C day my room was 28C but my tank temp was 22.9, so I now run it on an aquamedic T controller. I did evaporate 3.5L of RO from my ATO though. But it dropped my temp by 5 deg.
I cannot justify paying $600.00 AUD when I can get quality a refrigerated chiller for $499.00 AUD

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide you want it let me know. I’ll take mine that is all boxed up to UPS and I can see what they cost to ship. You can always order one shipped to me, here in Florida and I can turn around and send it off to you. Should be cheaper that way.

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ffiren and vetteguy53081, Thanks for getting back , I decided to go with a fan I bought at ocean reef aquariums. on the 37C day my room was 28C but my tank temp was 22.9, so I now run it on an aquamedic T controller. I did evaporate 3.5L of RO from my ATO though. But it dropped my temp by 5 deg.
I'm in Mindarie
I didn't know about ocean reef aquariums! I've always gone to aquarium gallery.

I'll have to check them out.

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA is about 2 hundred meters from aqurium gallery
Yeah, I just looked it up. I'll have a look at their chillers for me/you but I still think a bag of ice in the ATO might be a better option. I could move the heater from the sump to the main tank. That way high temps = more evap = more cold water fed to the tank...

Just realised than Dan Murphys is unlikely to sell RO/DI ice

Off topic but are the prices better at Oceans Reef (great pun by the way!)?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back