Chiller, ATO and Dosers...ohh my! Appreciate Help.

goettemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All – New to the forum, but not new to reef / freshwater fish keeping. I’ve had aquariums going on 30 years. Anyway, I received a nice fat tax refund this year and was thinking of upgrading / automating my heavily stocked 120 gallon acrylic AIO (no sump, hollow back) mixed reef tank – chiller, ATO and automatic dosing. Would appreciate thoughts on each item:

Chiller – Was thinking of the 1/10 HP JBJ-Arctica Titanium Chiller. If I understand correctly, I do not need a separate controller to operate this? If I set my heater at 76 degrees and the chiller at 78, it theoretically should not go above 78 / 79 degrees? I currently run the AC in the summer, and probably still will, but not nearly as cold as I currently keep it. I have had moments where the AC didn’t work correctly and the temp shot up and could tell tank was stressed, so think a good investment.

ATO – Was thinking of the Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off. Thoughts? I would have to switch this off when doing water changes, correct?

Automatic Dosing – This is where I struggle the most. I have been using ESV 2-part for alk / calcium manually and has been a thorn in my side given my travel schedule. Will any doser be able to pump up from the bottom of the stand 5 ft to the top of the tank? I would like one with wi-fi control. I have not been dosing mag, but from what I understand, ESV already contains? So thinking I can get away with a 2-pump doser? I do 10 gallon water changes 2x / month. Ecotech vs. GHL vs. ?

Thanks!

Mike

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mike,

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!!

On the Chiller, I'd go with the Teco TK1000 (for a 120 gallon), and it heats too. A 1/10 HP just seems to small for a 120 gallon.

That tunze 3155 ATO is just about as good as it gets.

For dosing I'd look into an Apex with their DOS pumps, but a pump must be above your water line, or your two part will siphon back to their holding tanks, which will lead to air in your dosing lines.

Just tossing those out, and sure others will chime in as well.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just gone with the Teco TK-1000 myself in my new 130g tank. I run a Hailea HC-150 on my 65g tank which does the job but the Teco heating/chilling feature is convenient and the Teco definitely looks like a better quality unit. The reviews I have seen have mostly been positive. I can already say cleaning the air filter is easier in the Teco.

I run an Apex so use DOS for dosing. My tanks are Red Sea Reefers so I use an ATK to fill the internal gravity fed ATO once daily. Some people don’t like the stock ATO but I like the simplicity and 24x7 operation. Keeping them clean is easy and an optical sensor in the sump for low level protects against them gumming up.

I’m sure others will chip in with other non-Apex options.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just gone with the Teco TK-1000 myself in my new 130g tank. I run a Hailea HC-150 on my 65g tank which does the job but the Teco heating/chilling feature is convenient and the Teco definitely looks like a better quality unit. The reviews I have seen have mostly been positive. I can already say cleaning the air filter is easier in the Teco.

I run an Apex so use DOS for dosing. My tanks are Red Sea Reefers so I use an ATK to fill the internal gravity fed ATO once daily. Some people don’t like the stock ATO but I like the simplicity and 24x7 operation. Keeping them clean is easy and an optical sensor in the sump for low level protects against them gumming up.

I’m sure others will chip in with other non-Apex options.

You know, I've ran the gravity fed ATO on an Red Sea S-400 (since 2013) and it has never failed, but I do take the time to make sure it's all clean within the sump area for that method of delivery.

Always used that Tunze 3155 before that setup was purchased.

OP
OP
G

goettemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome and responses! The TECO wasn't even on my radar and don't see it at some of the online stores I typically shop. Where did you purchase? In regards to the Apex, do I just need the DOS & DDR Dosing System Package? Or do I need an additional controller with it. If I need the controller as well, seems a bit overkill? Are you aware of any dosers that can pump up? I could mount on the wall above my water line, but may look a bit silly. Do they come with mounting brackets?

Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome and responses! The TECO wasn't even on my radar and don't see it at some of the online stores I typically shop. Where did you purchase? In regards to the Apex, do I just need the DOS & DDR Dosing System Package? Or do I need an additional controller with it. If I need the controller as well, seems a bit overkill? Are you aware of any dosers that can pump up? I could mount on the wall above my water line, but may look a bit silly. Do they come with mounting brackets?

Thanks!

You can buy Teco from Teco USA, Aquacave, bought my TK-1000 from Aquarium Specialty

Yeah,
For DOS you'd need the controller, this is the most affordable

Then you can buy DOS as a bundle or separate unit, if you don't want to buy their DDR holding tanks.

Bundle

Or just the DOS pump

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I need the controller as well, seems a bit overkill? Are Tou aware of any dosers that can pump up? I could mount on the wall above my water line, but may look a bit silly. Do they come with mounting brackets?

Thanks!

Well,
There's always stand alone dosing pumps like the below.

But your pump must be above your water line, unless it will stay accurate (calibrated) while dosing with a check valve put on after the pump.

Never tried to see if a dosing pump will stay in calibration with a check valve???

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the 1/10HP unit is too small for your setup. I use the same size on my 115g total system volume, but only rely on it until I get home and turn on the house AC. The unit heats up my sump room to as high as 85 so I plumbed it's air output through a window to remove all the exhausted heat, otherwise the efficiency is lost.

The Tunze 3155 is the Rolls Royce of dosers. Just get it. I have 3 that have been running flawlessly for coming up on 8 years.

For dosers, I prefer the BRS-style single head units and use my controller to program the dosing. I manually test and adjust my parameters. No auto-testing/dosing here.

Spend your money on the ATO, a chiller sized accordingly, and then if need be save up for the dosing later.

OP
OP
G

goettemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, appreciate the responses. Will go for the larger chiller. Tunze ATO on order. Now I see the ecotech dosers that look intriguing, but aren't available anywhere....yet. LOL.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back