Chiller for Nano tank/Biocube 16

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I live in Indiana and get super hot summers and was wondering if there’s a chiller out there that won’t break the bank but is compatible with nano tanks/ a Biocube 16 gallon

My tank has a lid, so the simple desk fan solution won’t work. I’m not opposed to running it without a lid if evaporation isn’t that bad, so if someone is running a biocube without a lid, let me know how much you top off.

Anyways I keep seeing this model by Chill Solutions (model csxc-1) but it seems that company went under and I can’t find anyone selling it anymore. Are there any models similar to this one? Does anyone have a chill solutions chiller they don’t use? Lol.
AB3BECFF-C8FB-4DD1-8DB8-26C45ABAF1FA.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I live in Indiana and get super hot summers and was wondering if there’s a chiller out there that won’t break the bank but is compatible with nano tanks/ a Biocube 16 gallon

My tank has a lid, so the simple desk fan solution won’t work. I’m not opposed to running it without a lid if evaporation isn’t that bad, so if someone is running a biocube without a lid, let me know how much you top off.

Anyways I keep seeing this model by Chill Solutions (model csxc-1) but it seems that company went under and I can’t find anyone selling it anymore. Are there any models similar to this one? Does anyone have a chill solutions chiller they don’t use? Lol.
AB3BECFF-C8FB-4DD1-8DB8-26C45ABAF1FA.png

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have clarified, my tank is set up already so I don’t think ice probes will work. Can’t drill a hole in my glass and can’t hang it from the top because of the lid, unless I’m wrong and there’s another way?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have clarified, my tank is set up already so I don’t think ice probes will work. Can’t drill a hole in my glass and can’t hang it from the top because of the lid, unless I’m wrong and there’s another way?
You need to be able to supply your tanks water to any chiller and back to the tank.
all chillers will need supply and return tubing connected to the tank.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI ice cubes. On the real bad days. I’m in pa. We get hot humid days here but with the house ac on I’ve never been too concerned temp should not get too high in it does it

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not have central air? Does it get that hot in Indiana? I live in Louisiana and it gets a swampy 100 plus degrees during the summer here and my home stays consistent 70 degrees. My tanks have never had problems.

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be able to supply your tanks water to any chiller and back to the tank.
all chillers will need supply and return tubing connected to the tank.
A2802318-716F-4ED9-A446-74793DE596C3.png
Stole this pic from someone who has that chill solutions chiller, the biocube has a convenient little cutout for the pump wire and was planning to use that for a supply and return.

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI ice cubes. On the real bad days. I’m in pa. We get hot humid days here but with the house ac on I’ve never been too concerned temp should not get too high in it does it
Yep last year I was freezing water bottles for emergencies lol. This will be the first year I’ve turned on the ac at this new house so we will see how it goes, just kind of want a chiller for backup

OP
OP
Mikemilly245

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not have central air? Does it get that hot in Indiana? I live in Louisiana and it gets a swampy 100 plus degrees during the summer here and my home stays consistent 70 degrees. My tanks have never had problems.
I do have central air and this will be the first summer I’ve used it, just in the past it is over 80 in the house a lot of the time so I kind of want to be prepared for emergencies

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That central air is going to change your life man. Unless that thing goes out you’re going to be able to turn your home into a chilly comfortable cave if you want lol. I use to have the chill solutions chiller on a 10g and it worked wonderfully it could lower my particular tank like 5 or more degrees if I can remember correctly. I think most people with nanos this small are using fans nowadays. You’d be surprised how well a fan blowing across the sump area of your AIOwould work. I know you said you had a lid. But does it cover the sump area too? But you’d better have an ato

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep last year I was freezing water bottles for emergencies lol. This will be the first year I’ve turned on the ac at this new house so we will see how it goes, just kind of want a chiller for backup
If you have central air WITH A/C you're golden. Those days when you'll actually use it, is when your tank will need it too.
Set your cooling to a scheduled setpoint of 75 in the summer and sip your ice tea as you enjoy the weather.

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to all this and would like to get in on this topic. I'm not sure I need one since I have central air and basically just flip the switch every year from heat to AC and hardly open windows. Here in Maine, you can't open up till about July otherwise you have 1/4" of pine tree pollen everywhere in the house. My concern is I noticed that my Biocube32 (since it's all enclosed with the lid) heats up when the light comes on. So far I've noticed 2 degree clip from 76 to 78. Cats prevent the lid staying open. This Chill Solutions one is a really attractive size for <30 gal and can easily fit in the cabinet. A few others I've seen are about a 15" cube. My questions are do they run all the time since it would be a constant on/off for a small degree? Are they louder than the filters? I'm assuming the heater set point I would make more like 70degrees and leave it on? I'm also looking at how to set it up, just drop the extra pump in the tanks pump chamber? Is there a better one out there with a little footprint like this? I'd like to have something ready to go. (Worst case, hook up the brewing chiller in an emergency?) Paul

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube is notorious for getting to hot. Combination of the lid and lights. My Central Air could not keep up. I opened the feeding door and blew a fan in it. Sort of worked.
well in the future, I will plan to use this as an isolation tank when I grow up and get a 300 gal ;-). If I leave the lights off, can I just tape the lid shut and get a pygmy octopus? I'd only need the moon glow lights.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1/13th chiller sitting in storage that my daughter used for her Axeloti.....I would sell it to you for $300 shipped. I have a pump for it too.....you can have that.....Chillers are "cool" and Im happy to help you get one at a reasonable price. It was only used for a year or less......so like new.

1/13th Hp Chiller

It's not currently for sale, so no rush....I was keeping it around just in case I set up that small coldwater system I've been thinking about:)

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1/13th chiller sitting in storage that my daughter used for her Axeloti.....I would sell it to you for $300 shipped. I have a pump for it too.....you can have that.....Chillers are "cool" and Im happy to help you get one at a reasonable price. It was only used for a year or less......so like new.

1/13th Hp Chiller

It's not currently for sale, so no rush....I was keeping it around just in case I set up that small coldwater system I've been thinking about:)
so 1.6A, 120v, 200watts? just thinking the potential power outage when I'd need it too. (though those are usually in winter). supposedly there's a fan in the lid of the cube but I haven't noticed air blowing? Thank you for that offer. I'm still trying to figure out everything else I need for this (ALL IN ONE) biocube which is why I bought it as well as the everything hidden. A couple aquariums said I really don't need a skimmer so I'm still holding on that. I've been eyeing a acke small fuge light for down the road.

Back