Chiller of Heater Controller for setting a tank to 72°?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im building a tank soon for fish that perfer cooler water, specifically around 72°-74°F, and was going to run a standard heater set to that temp range but someone brought up the idea of a chiller instead.
Would a chiller set at that temp or a heater with an Inkbird Controller set at that temp be better in the long run?

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all depending on your ambient temperatures!
Obviously, the heater will heat the tank if temperature goes below 72-74 and the Chiller will cool the tank if the temperature goes above 72-74.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all depending on your ambient temperatures!
Obviously, the heater will heat the tank if temperature goes below 72-74 and the Chiller will cool the tank if the temperature goes above 72-74.
Oh thank you! I had no idea about that. My ambient temp stays around 69°F, so im guessing a heater would be better?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thank you! I had no idea about that. My ambient temp stays around 69°F, so im guessing a heater would be better?

Generally the tank water stays a couple degrees colder than air temp(though not always the case). If air temp stays at 69 then I would be fairly confident that you would not need a chiller but there are other factors so only way to really know is try it out.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally the tank water stays a couple degrees colder than air temp(though not always the case). If air temp stays at 69 then I would be fairly confident that you would not need a chiller but there are other factors so only way to really know is try it out.
Gotcha, I'll experiment a bit and see what works best

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experiences, tank water is always higher temperature than ambient due to heat generated by Pump, wavemaker/gyre and lot of heat from light (when it is ON).
I am am in Norcal and only run heaters during the late fall, winter and early spring. However I am running both Heaters and Chiller during the summer because it gets a bit chilly at night but much warmer (than 76F-78F) during the day.

Back