China wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my china wrasse..I may need to find a second one.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original one has grown a lot since the last pictures. Ill try to get some more this week.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after adding the smaller female did your bigger one start to transition? Did you notice any aggression over food or territory?
Mine occasionally chases the smaller one away from food.
My large one I have had since 5/2018. He is about 4.5-5 inches now. When they were both females, they don't fight, but spend sometime together, near each other but not really tight knit. Now that the larger one turn male, he often court the smaller one. Color change and swim with a strange motion Head point down and tail up, with fins extended and display color. I think this is courtship display.

So 2 years or so when they reach size of about 4-5 inches is when they change in my tnak.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , So i got two more few weeks ago. Both were doing great then one died for no visible reason, today the other looks like it is going to die too. They are so cool when in pairs but thats 4 that I've tried. Looks like I'm just not meant to keep these.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male China Wrasse. Normal coloration and Nuptial coloration
Normal Male coloration:
chinawrasse2020090503male-jpg.1768515

chinawrasse2020090504male-jpg.1768516

Nuptial Coloration
chinawrasse2020090510malenuptial-jpg.1768524

chinawrasse2020090508malenuptial-jpg.1768522

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why some suddenly just die? odd!

I added mine Jan 25th and she is still doing good and has grown quite a bit.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to get one to make it past 30 days in copper.
Just spotted this thread. I have had my China Wrasse for a long time as well as 6 Leopards. I have never QT any of my Wrasses. Just curious why you would use copper on a Anampses? IMO they do much better when eaither added straight to the DT or a observation tank with a sand bed.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spotted this thread. I have had my China Wrasse for a long time as well as 6 Leopards. I have never QT any of my Wrasses. Just curious why you would use copper on a Anampses? IMO they do much better when eaither added straight to the DT or a observation tank with a sand bed.

I QT everything, I've gone through a wipeout and a fallow and will never allow that to happen again.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT everything, I've gone through a wipeout and a fallow and will never allow that to happen again.
I get that for sure. Just keep in mind that many Wrasses don't tolerate copper. So maybe just a observation tank with no meds except maybe prazipro would be more ideal.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that for sure. Just keep in mind that many Wrasses don't tolerate copper. So maybe just a observation tank with no meds except maybe prazipro would be more ideal.
I didn't know that. I have a pintail and cleaner that went through copper with no issues.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know that. I have a pintail and cleaner that went through copper with no issues.
Yeah some do ok, but more delicate Wrasses like leopards or Anampses if possible I would eaither put in the DT or do just a observation tank with prazipro if needed, but no copper.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing this then you are going to just tha was to accept that there are some fish you will not be able to keep.
possible get @Humblefish to QT and treat fish first then send them to you.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put my china wrasse thru copper and it seemed to handle it fine, the never eating thing didn't seem to be related to the presence of copper or not. i did use chelated copper power tho

if you want to avoid harsh meds maybe try the h2o2 bath method and then black mollies in an observation tank

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing this then you are going to just tha was to accept that there are some fish you will not be able to keep.
possible get @Humblefish to QT and treat fish first then send them to you.
He has been canceled on here.

i put my china wrasse thru copper and it seemed to handle it fine, the never eating thing didn't seem to be related to the presence of copper or not. i did use chelated copper power tho

if you want to avoid harsh meds maybe try the h2o2 bath method and then black mollies in an observation tank
I used copper power as well. Out of the 4, I had one that died of uronema which is pretty scary.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found wrasses can handle copper if it is ramped up more slowly than directed on packaging.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back