Chinese black box most bang for your buck

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't anyone can argue that black box LED can grow coral.

But I have a bigger issue with them. They are not UL rated. It's a testing process done on electronics to deem the wiring safe. Now just threatening that it may cause a fire is assuming a lot. And I'm sure their catastrophic failure rate is less than 1%. But I'm sure my home owners insurance does not cover fires caused by electronics that are UL rated. It's a liability.

My kessil has the same chance of burning my house down as a black box. But I know my insurance will cover my kessil and not a black box. If you think your wives are mad about a few corals. Just wait till you get the whole bill for a fire.

Silly but hopefully it saves someone
I'm glad I read this, as I think the same way. Some here may roll their eyes when we mention fires, but here in NY a store owner told me a new black box caught on fire and luckily he was there to put it off or his spot would have been toast.

Gregg Caroll, a member here mentioned to me once saw a black box catch on fire right before his eyes as well.

I think as far as the light they put out, it is ok at best but the risk outweighs the benefits.

I'm sure many run them for decades and would never consider this topic, but just remember Murphy's Law is very present in this hobby, lol.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I read this, as I think the same way. Some here may roll their eyes when we mention fires, but here in NY a store owner told me a new black box caught on fire and luckily he was there to put it off or his spot would have been toast.

Gregg Caroll, a member here mentioned to me once saw a black box catch on fire right before his eyes as well.

I think as far as the light they put out, it is ok at best but the risk outweighs the benefits.

I'm sure many run them for decades and would never consider this topic, but just remember Murphy's Law is very present in this hobby, lol.

Greg was using a very early Chinese Black Box, a brand name of taotronics. They stopped making these years and years ago. It was a completely different design, using completely different components than the black boxes that are made and sold today. Very similar to this one:

41y0FYxIkaL._SX450_.jpg

By the way, his didn't "catch" on fire in front of him, it did start to smoke.

I've said this time and time again, not in defense of Chinese Black Boxes or anything made from overseas, show me the proof they are unsafe.

I spent countless hours researching these lights before I even considered buying one, to find any proof of them "catching" on fire and could never find anything on the internet to back the claims.

In comparison to the heater issues of exploding, catching on fire, there are hundreds of verifiable accounts of these issues reported. Many catastrophic fires burning tanks and houses down. Marineland, cobalt's....... Even recalls for these heaters, I had marineland heaters listed in the recall and was given replacements because of these issues.

I will say once again, show me and the community verifiable proof of any electronic device that has issues and report them with links so that the community as a whole can see these!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this thread when BRS released the video to turn people away from black boxes to see if this community had experienced the black box fires. Results are in thread.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this thread when BRS released the video to turn people away from black boxes to see if this community had experienced the black box fires. Results are in thread.

I remember this. Just bumped it back. Great information in there! This needs to be refreshed frequently!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For 300wt, Mars or SB reef may be your best bet for the money (both are 32" for great coverage)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ocean Revive T247 have been a good choice for me. Built in timers for both channels and dimmable. Just no ramping which is fine with me.

Me too. I had four of them over my 220 that was loaded with SPS. I like that they are a little more spread out than typical black boxes...plus the fixture itself isn’t as ugly. I’m actually about to put one of my old fixtures above my sump for a SPS growout area.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ever used one although a buddy used a set of the Viparspectras over his frag tank and has awesome growth and coloring! If I was ever to set up a frag tank or replace all my lights I would definitely look into them after seeing his results!

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on people. BRS and few others bashed the black box’s. Lets look at this objectively. How many have had issues vrs AI, Ecotec, Kessil (the “gold standard” right )to assume all black box’s are crap because a couple are bad well I guess then we should be able to look at the gold standard lights and reviews and find no negative reviews. This is simply not the case. As far as BRS who I love and respect for all they do should shoulder the negativity directly attributed to black box’s why review a $80 mars and compare it to a $400 Kessil why not find a $400 black box and compare the two. Or find a $80 led from here in the US and compare it to the MARS. The MARS would crush any light form the US in the same price point.
Here’s the picture of the power supply from the Zeus. You guys are right it looks unsafe. Come on Man!

2D8176EE-3C1B-4262-A64C-AA003CA50D1C.jpeg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a viparspectra over my 24x18x18 tank for over 2 years now I'm still trying to get the levels right, I have had issues with zero phosphates and lost my montipora digitata.
Screenshot_20190816-073531_Gallery.jpg
I'm running them at 40blue and 1 white at the moment. This Is a recent photo with these settings. And my so called dead monti is growing again
Screenshot_20190816-073659_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190816-073622_Gallery.jpg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg was using a very early Chinese Black Box, a brand name of taotronics. They stopped making these years and years ago. It was a completely different design, using completely different components than the black boxes that are made and sold today. Very similar to this one:

41y0FYxIkaL._SX450_.jpg

I've said this time and time again, not in defense of Chinese Black Boxes or anything made from overseas, show me the proof they are unsafe.

I spent countless hours researching these lights before I even considered buying one, to find any proof of them "catching" on fire and could never find anything on the internet to back the claims.

In comparison to the heater issues of exploding, catching on fire, there are hundreds of verifiable accounts of these issues reported. Many catastrophic fires burning tanks and houses down. Marineland, cobalt's....... Even recalls for these heaters, I had marineland heaters listed in the recall and was given replacements because of these issues.

I will say once again, show me and the community verifiable proof of any electronic device that has issues and report them with links so that the community as a whole can see these!

41y0FYxIkaL._SX450_.jpg

I kind of regret at times bringing the fire issue to these chinese boxes threads as obviously the fire issue is perceived differently by each one.

Like I've stated, I know of a lfs owner who witnessed one smoke/catch on fire or alike. Electronics smoking dont lead to good endings regardless in my opinion.

Gregg witnessed another which to some (myself incl)might be one case too many, but to others no big deal.

I'm not here to judge what people put in their homes, just wanted to chime in on what I knew of regarding them.

I'm sure they grow coral fine, and many are happy with them.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People put all sorts of electronics in their home that all have the potential of fire, even tumble dryers. And even certain cars have issues and people still buy them. But unless you personally own that car or dryer you dont tend to hear about issues. So with so many people that have these chinese lights, myself included how many in total and of which brand have this issue? As if it's only a certain brand then I would steer clear aswel.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a Mars Aqua and used it on my QT Tub. I liked the colors, so when I moved the fish into a 180 I bought two more and built a stand to support them 12" over the tank. At about one year I had to run the original at a 100% to equal the newer two running at 50% in Par Ratings. They are a good cheap light, but like someone else said you will have to replace the leds in a couple years since they don't last very long.

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 165 watt mars aqua boxes running for about 3 yrs. Only had one issue with the cooling fans. Replaced them and they're nice and quiet. As for coral growth...theyre are great. Looking to upgrade to the 300 watts soon with a t5 hybrid.
20190627_134352.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is an old saying - which may or may not be applicable here. You get what you pay for...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back