chk4tix - 50g rimless

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new thread specific to my 50G cube. I decided to start a new thread since my original tank thread came to a tragic end. in short, a tank I had been keeping since 2013, I lost multiple thousands of dollars in coral and fish. The only thing I could think that would have been worse is if I broke the tank in the process of moving the SOB by myself. :mad:

Even with 90% of my tanks inhabitants dead, some how I had a few corals that were trying to hang on. I couldn't bring it upon myself to just let everything die, so I started a quick cycle of a small 10G AIO tank of just water/heater/light/powerheads to see if I could save anything. By time I got the little tank started, my big tank was in a full blown ammonia cycle, this obviously didnt help out the situation. I lost a few more corals as I waited for the little 10G to clear up.
about a week later, the little tanks perimeters balanced out and I decided to get as much as I could in the tank. I fragged a few corals to try and fit everything in a little tighter. Soon, there wasn't much space (or water) left in the 10g but I was hoping for the best.
A couple more days pasted by and things were starting to stabilize in the little tank, but it wasnt practical to keep them in the 10 because it had no filtration and with such a small amount of water volume I had to stay on top of it to keep the salinity in check.
By this time my big tank had pasted the recycle but since I just moved to a rental for a year, I didnt want to get that all set back up just to have another disaster happen when I move in 10-12 months.

So I started a search for a smaller tank to see what I could find and ended up finding a 50G rimless. It was a little larger than I originally planned to find but It was available and close to my location.

This is the picture posted on line. Fortunately the tank was in better condition than this picture indicated.
IMG_2614.JPG

Misc Parts

IMG_2615.JPG

I did a quick refresh of the stand and got to work on getting it set up. Here are a few pictures before adding water.
Please ignore the cord mess
IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

Under the stand
IMG_2623.JPG

Starting to fill the tank with the cycled water from my 100G
IMG_2622.JPG

The first occupant
IMG_2624.JPG

And somehow I misplaced a bunch of photos of the "in-between" process, but here is it all set up.
IMG_2625.JPG

I do need to get a better light but as a quick build its all I had, so we will see how it works.
Much of my equipment is what I had on hand or pulled from my 100G tank.
The equipment for this build is as follows:
APEX Classic dual pH/Temp probes, I/O breakout box (controls under cabinet light), DOS,
Chinese LED w/UV
Quantum 120 skimmer
Tunze Auto-topoff w/10g reserve
MP40qd x2 and battery backup
Jebao 12000DC

That is if for now, thanks for all the encouragement from those you PMed me, here and locally.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick update, my 50G tank is doing well, still dialing in the dosing and feeding schedule. Its quite a change to reduce 50G and very few corals and fish. So i am starting to learn this process all over again.

The latest change is I purchased an ATI T5 fixture from @dodgerblew to replace the "blackbox" LED light that i had over the tank. Even though the LED was keeping everything alive, ever since I changed back to T5's in my previous build I wanted to put them over this smaller tank as well. I personally like how the light seems to fill the tank and remove many of the big shadows I have always seemed to get from LED's.

Today was the first day on getting them mounted over the tank. This is a picture of the light in its place with the LED still on the light tree while I get everything into place. (excuse the mess still havent had a chance to get settled in at the new place).
IMG_2698.JPG

Here is another picture after I added a ReefBrite to it as well.
IMG_2703.JPG

I will have to play with the mounting height to see if I want to move them higher than they are but that will take a few weeks of monitoring before I get it where I want it to go.

The other variable is flow, currently I have 2 MP40qd on the back wall of the tank. I am pretty sure this is overkill since I am only running them @ 40% in a schedule where only one is on at a time. I am basically running a bare-bottom tank with only a little sand because i was going to place a tub worm in the tank but decided to place it in a cup of sand instead. So there is a little sand in the back of the tank that I havent pulled out yet.

So far since moving to the new tank my levels fluctuate a little, but overall everything has been staying in the correct range.
alk is 8.5 to 9.6dkh depending on the time of day and I am working to level that out with my DOS.
pH is 8.02-8.24 from night to day. I need to try reverse lighting my sump to see if it helps out any but I will need to purchase a light for that.
Calc is in the 460ppm range but pretty consistant.

I am having a little bit of a battle with phosphates because I currently am not able to run my RO/DI and am using the filtered refrigerator water in the auto topoff, so it is a new problem I will need to figure out.

My wife got me 2 little fish as a gift while I was away on a business trip and it was a pleasant surprise to have "life" in my tank again. I also noticed that a few of my plate corals have actually had "babies" so I am excited to see life in coming from a dead coral. They are too small to get photos of right now but if they keep growing I will post pictures.

I am already getting the bug again, If my tank continues to stabilize I will start restocking my SPS. I will need to redo the aqua scape in order to make room

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, minor update. I have decided to change out a few of my bulbs to "fix" the color to something a little less blue for my liking. Also with it as blue as it is, I have a very hard time of taking any pictures that look anything like what it looks like with the naked eye. Currently, the sunpower is running the following bulbs:
Front
B+
B+
C+
B+
B+
C+
B+
B+

I am going to copy the bulb layout I had in my 48" sunpower which is:
Front:
B+
Actinic
C+
Actinic
P+
C+
Actinic
B+

With this configuration, I should get a tank that appears more like the old phenix 12Ks use to look like. I have already purchased the bulbs and am just waiting for them to arrive from @Bulk Reef Supply

The main reason this comes up is because I wanted to post some pictures of my tank and the new frags i just got today from @AquaSD
Here is a terrible pic for now
tmpImage.jpg

ASD Peachtastic Mille
ASD Rainbow Birdsnest
ASD Blue Alys Tenuis
ASD Rainbow Cake Acro
ASD Pink Birthday Cake Acro
ASD Jamba Juice Acro
ASD Red Robin Acro
ASD Barbie Mille
RR Pink Cadillac Acro

Last edited:
OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, this picture is just to show the growth I am seeing in my tank. compare this picture with the last picture in the above post.
tmpImage 7.jpg

As you might be able to tell by the picture, I am having a bit of an issue related to high phosphates because I currently am not running my RO/DI due to my living arrangements. I found out I will be moving to my new home sooner than expected, so I will be posting the move process and hopefully I will have better luck than last time.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a crazy year it has been. If this was a home projects thread, I would have a ton of updates. lol. with the house we bought, so far I have re-graded the yard, installed sprinklers, laid sod, replace the HVAC, upgraded to smart lighting, remodeled a bathroom, and many more projects.
Between moving, covid, and work, I havent had much time for my tank. I just looked for a recent picture and it seems the "newest" one I have is from January. I still only have 2 fish, but for now things are still growing even though I havent given it the attention it probably needs.
IMG_3317.jpg

I still plan on upgrading the tank when I get all the big home projects completed.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my tank fell victim to the crazy Texas weather. 3 days without power and tank temps in the 40’s didn’t far well. Not a 100% loss. Did loose all SPS, most of the cleanup crew, all fish except for the hippo. I had an order that I placed that was to arrive the same day as the storm, luckily the vendor allowed me to cancel it before they shipped or I would have lost those as well.

Attachments

• 3A2D522A-613C-4E47-A208-54839486AB43.jpeg
    3A2D522A-613C-4E47-A208-54839486AB43.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 96
  • F23DDE65-1C04-4003-9E49-600EBA876452.jpeg
    F23DDE65-1C04-4003-9E49-600EBA876452.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 102
  • AC6F0C0A-2080-4012-B7E2-4E97B3C9524B.jpeg
    AC6F0C0A-2080-4012-B7E2-4E97B3C9524B.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 92
  • D0F8F8F4-6FF4-4B72-9932-7F5FEAB8D0C1.jpeg
    D0F8F8F4-6FF4-4B72-9932-7F5FEAB8D0C1.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 1EDF1BA3-2B8F-4224-B201-1EE97116C2EC.jpeg
    1EDF1BA3-2B8F-4224-B201-1EE97116C2EC.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I found out from the remediation crew that I will have to move everyone/thing out of the house, I will have to tear this system down as well. No idea if anything in the tank will survive but all the equipment/stand were damaged in the flood. So when we get to move back home I guess I will have a completely new build to do

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s almost been 8 months since the last update Tank still running but get about zero attention. Still waiting for my home to be repaired from the Texas freeze. If it ever gets fixed (and I have any corals left) I will probably do a new build.
However, I haven’t bought any new corals/equipment in almost a year, and the prices have skyrocketed so maybe it will be out of my “budget” to start over again.
5E9ECD39-4875-449A-9850-E4945332B0E5.jpeg

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, sorry to see that. How did you get enough flow for the center of the tank with the mp40s on the back wall? I tried that in my 60g and it was meh. I have them on the sides now.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, sorry to see that. How did you get enough flow for the center of the tank with the mp40s on the back wall? I tried that in my 60g and it was meh. I have them on the sides now.
I have them set up as masters but basically one is running and the other is very slow, then alternating this process throughout the day. This appears to be getting the center area pretty well, however, on every other tank I have had, I have placed the powerheads on the side walls instead. If i ever get my home back together, I plan on getting a larger tank and mounting the powerheads on the sides again.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I'm looking for another mp40 to put at the bottom to "sweep" the detritus...tank is bare bottom though. Maybe I'll try the back again when I get one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back