Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20F2AD8B-1B63-42AD-B96F-F3B3C6E602E3.jpeg
1A4AAD32-0F07-4CB2-BC35-C6D340D54CCE.jpeg
317A63D6-5032-458E-94E8-9564169EE43F.jpeg
I ordered this fish along with a Bicolor Dottyback and a Yellow Watchman Goby. I moment I opened the bag and released the fish in the QT tank (after proper acclimation of course) this is what the fish looked like. The rest of the two fishes are fine with no visible spots although I know that they are infected as well.
I have CP and General Cure at my disposal (that’s it) and I would like to start the treatment ASAP.
My Questions are:
1. What should be the temperature of the QT tank?

2. Should I drop the salinity down to 1.009 in conjunction with the CP treatment? Do these treatment work together?

3. Can I feed Nori to the PBT while there is CP in the water column?

4. This tank is setup using a cycled Bio Brick from my clean DT. How do I compensate for the Biological Degradation of CP? Do I keep redosing everyday in small amounts (4mg/gal) ?

5. @JayHemdal In your article on CP on “Reefs”, you didn’t mention the treatment period for CP and the biological degradation part of it. Could you please help me out with it?

6. Also is CP safe to use with the all the 3 kinds of fishes I have?

Thanks for all the responses in advance.
I strongly believe this thread is going to help everyone using the CP QT protocol.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion I would use one or the other not both. Also be sure to check fish compatibility with medicines always. There is really no way to test biodegradation at home. Water changes with calculated medicine in it prior will reduce risk of over dose.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20F2AD8B-1B63-42AD-B96F-F3B3C6E602E3.jpeg
1A4AAD32-0F07-4CB2-BC35-C6D340D54CCE.jpeg
317A63D6-5032-458E-94E8-9564169EE43F.jpeg
I ordered this fish along with a Bicolor Dottyback and a Yellow Watchman Goby. I moment I opened the bag and released the fish in the QT tank (after proper acclimation of course) this is what the fish looked like. The rest of the two fishes are fine with no visible spots although I know that they are infected as well.
I have CP and General Cure at my disposal (that’s it) and I would like to start the treatment ASAP.
My Questions are:
1. What should be the temperature of the QT tank?

2. Should I drop the salinity down to 1.009 in conjunction with the CP treatment? Do these treatment work together?

3. Can I feed Nori to the PBT while there is CP in the water column?

4. This tank is setup using a cycled Bio Brick from my clean DT. How do I compensate for the Biological Degradation of CP? Do I keep redosing everyday in small amounts (4mg/gal) ?

5. @JayHemdal In your article on CP on “Reefs”, you didn’t mention the treatment period for CP and the biological degradation part of it. Could you please help me out with it?

6. Also is CP safe to use with the all the 3 kinds of fishes I have?

Thanks for all the responses in advance.
I strongly believe this thread is going to help everyone using the CP QT protocol.
What dose are you thinking of for the CP?
Your tank should run around 79 F.
I’ve never run CP and hypo at the same time, but I would do one or the other.
Nori is fine to feed during CP
CP is pretty stable, don’t try to second guess things by adding small amounts, just redose water from water changes at the full dose for that volume.
CP is dosed for 14 or 30 days, depending on who you listen to. I dose for 30.
I stopped using CP when I ran into toxicity issues with wrasse and lion fish. Those fish should be ok, depending on the dose.
Jay

OP
OP
N

Nano Saltyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
What would you suggest to be a better option Hypo or CP?
I got the idea about biological degradation from your article named CP and Biofilm. That is why I asked about a compensation redose.
What percentage of CP do you thinkwould degrade due to Biological Degradation?
I plan to dose CP at 15ppm as it is an active Ich infection.

Also could you please list out a water change schedule if I were to continue the CP treatment for 30 days.

Also what are your thoughts about feeding Garlic juice enriched food?
Does it really help with the immunity?

Thanks.!

bguile

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with CP. Hypo is too sensitive and if you miss a day or a measurement, you basically have to start over. But do CP alone. Not with anything else.

bguile

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you have the resources to do so, I would change tanks every 72 hours just to add an extra measure of eradication. Kind of like a double attack with CP and TTM

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree plus some strains are not killed in hypo treatment. I would not suggest doing transfers with very effective meds it is pointless.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
What would you suggest to be a better option Hypo or CP?
I got the idea about biological degradation from your article named CP and Biofilm. That is why I asked about a compensation redose.
What percentage of CP do you thinkwould degrade due to Biological Degradation?
I plan to dose CP at 15ppm as it is an active Ich infection.

Also could you please list out a water change schedule if I were to continue the CP treatment for 30 days.

Also what are your thoughts about feeding Garlic juice enriched food?
Does it really help with the immunity?

Thanks.!
Garlic can be overdone and I’ve never seen a distinct benefit from it.
I can’t give you a water change schedule as every tank is different. I think that 50% change total per week, with a proportional redose would keep you near where you want to be.
I don’t know which is going to be better - CP or hypo. As you may know, I advocate for Coppersafe used early in infections, and only go with more extreme means if the infection is clearly advanced.
Jay

OP
OP
N

Nano Saltyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic can be overdone and I’ve never seen a distinct benefit from it.
I can’t give you a water change schedule as every tank is different. I think that 50% change total per week, with a proportional redose would keep you near where you want to be.
I don’t know which is going to be better - CP or hypo. As you may know, I advocate for Coppersafe used early in infections, and only go with more extreme means if the infection is clearly advanced.
Jay
Thank you for your reply @Jay Hemdal
Please answer some of my silly questions
1. Do you think CP has the same efficacy as Copper? I’m asking because it is very easy to procure here in India and copper seems a bit hard to handle as we have only Cupramine available.

2. I use CP tablets that are used for malarial prophylactic dose which are intended for human use. I use the 500 mg and the 250 mg ones, which I think have 300 mg and 150 mg of Chloroquine Base respectively. Am I correct on this info?

3. Many people have said that fish show appetite loss on day 5-6 of CP treatment. What to do if I encounter this problem?

4. What dosage do you recommend for CP in my case?

5. Do you believe in Aerosol Transmission?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply @Jay Hemdal
Please answer some of my silly questions
1. Do you think CP has the same efficacy as Copper? I’m asking because it is very easy to procure here in India and copper seems a bit hard to handle as we have only Cupramine available.

2. I use CP tablets that are used for malarial prophylactic dose which are intended for human use. I use the 500 mg and the 250 mg ones, which I think have 300 mg and 150 mg of Chloroquine Base respectively. Am I correct on this info?

3. Many people have said that fish show appetite loss on day 5-6 of CP treatment. What to do if I encounter this problem?

4. What dosage do you recommend for CP in my case?

5. Do you believe in Aerosol Transmission?

Ah, I already replied to this via your PM, and just seeing this now. It is better to keep the questions on the public area so other people can read and learn....

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back