Chloroquine Phosphate tablets

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am treating my recently purchased fishes (2 Purple and 1 Convict tangs) with chloroquine phosphate. This is my first experience with CP and since CP is not available in powdered form here in Pakistan im using tablets (picture attached). It states each tablet contains 250mg of Chloroquine Phosphate B.P.

The problem is since i've added it to my QT, water has become yellowish and looks quite dirty.

Although there are no visible symptoms but my convict tang occasionally rubs body against the pvc fittings therefore have used dosage of about 60mg/gal.

So basically my questions are:

1) are these tablets good enough? What does B.P stands for?

2) why water is becoming yellowish/dirty?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Umair

unnamed.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am treating my recently purchased fishes (2 Purple and 1 Convict tangs) with chloroquine phosphate. This is my first experience with CP and since CP is not available in powdered form here in Pakistan im using tablets (picture attached). It states each tablet contains 250mg of Chloroquine Phosphate B.P.

The problem is since i've added it to my QT, water has become yellowish and looks quite dirty.

Although there are no visible symptoms but my convict tang occasionally rubs body against the pvc fittings therefore have used dosage of about 60mg/gal.

So basically my questions are:

1) are these tablets good enough? What does B.P stands for?

2) why water is becoming yellowish/dirty?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Umair

unnamed.jpg
I don't know enough about CP.

@Humblefish can probably answer your questions.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 problems.
1. its made locally and you know and i know how pure meds made there are.
2. even if the tablets are made purely like mentioned there has to be fillers and binders in it that can cause water to turn colors.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:
In most cases, 250 mg tablets have an equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base, and 500 mg tablets have an equivalence of 300 mg chloroquine base. Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage. Keep in mind if you decide to use the tablets, there are some inactive ingredients, which you may have to deal with, e.g., Camauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Pregelatinized Starch, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid, and Titanium Dioxide. And as mentioned earlier in this chapter there are occasions where some medicines are not in their pure form (100% pure), i.e., mixed with a substance called a 'carrier,' which should be noted on its label. If so its potency is reduced, and if not sure about the exact amount of medication needed, suggest contacting a more experienced aquarist for the way to resolve this situation.

@Christoph might be able to advise about the yellow/dirty water and what B.P stands for.

OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 problems.
1. its made locally and you know and i know how pure meds made there are.
2. even if the tablets are made purely like mentioned there has to be fillers and binders in it that can cause water to turn colors.
yes definitely. initially i tired to source CP in powder form only but its not available locally. had no other option.

maybe New life spectrum - ick shield- powder is a better option for me?

OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:

@Christoph might be able to advise about the yellow/dirty water and what B.P stands for.
actually i saw this quote mentioned by you somewhere on this forum and therefore i have already dosed assuming 250mg tablets contain 150 mg chloroquine base.
are these inactive ingredients or 'carrier' in any way harmful to fishes?
presently all three tangs look in good health and are eating well.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes definitely. initially i tired to source CP in powder form only but its not available locally. had no other option.

maybe New life spectrum - ick shield- powder is a better option for me?

Much better option as we know there is nothing extra in there.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

the tablets are fine to use! The "dirtyness" of the water results from fillers etc in the tablet. Those might fuel bacterial growth and oxygen consumption, keep your water very well aerated! The BP just means "british pharmacopoeia", actually saying that the medications were prepared using pharmacopoeia standards.

Best,
Christoph

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

the tablets are fine to use! The "dirtyness" of the water results from fillers etc in the tablet. Those might fuel bacterial growth and oxygen consumption, keep your water very well aerated! The BP just means "british pharmacopoeia", actually saying that the medications were prepared using pharmacopoeia standards.

Best,
Christoph
Thank you @Christoph for the clarification.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back