Choclate Tang in QT

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help diagnosing issue with my chocolate tang . It is very lethargic and appears to have some issue with balance this morning it is barely moving. I have it in a 10gallon QT tank he has been in there for 10 days typically very shy moving around lots but his normal behavior is to hide in the pipes come out spook cgo back in the pipes. Now he barely moves .

I do also have a Adorned wrasse in QT with the tang and he seems to not be affected and swimming as normal?

I did an emergency 50% water change this morning as my gut feeling is it might be ammonia or nitrate poisoning? However from what I have read they usually swim at the surface or near the surface ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help diagnosing issue with my chocolate tang . It is very lethargic and appears to have some issue with balance this morning it is barely moving. I have it in a 10gallon QT tank he has been in there for 10 days typically very shy moving around lots but his normal behavior is to hide in the pipes come out spook cgo back in the pipes. Now he barely moves .

I do also have a Adorned wrasse in QT with the tang and he seems to not be affected and swimming as normal?

I did an emergency 50% water change this morning as my gut feeling is it might be ammonia or nitrate poisoning? However from what I have read they usually swim at the surface or near the surface ?
Hi, can you post a short video of it? I need to get some idea as to its behavior and respiration rate. Have you treated the tank with anything? Also, check your local stores, some will run a water test for you. I’m worried in that small of a QT that there could be issues.
Jay

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can you post a short video of it? I need to get some idea as to its behavior and respiration rate. Have you treated the tank with anything? Also, check your local stores, some will run a water test for you. I’m worried in that small of a QT that there could be issues.
Jay
Hello Jay

Thank you for your fast response. Unfortuneatley I am at work and cant take video until tonight. I did do the 50% emergency water change before work to give him the best shot I can hope for.

So I did have a pump that broke down on Monday so I took out the basket which held the foam for bacteria and a bag of ammonia remover and just bput the basket in the bottom of the tank . I went on tueday and bought a new pump . I put the basket back inside the pump and put in 1 cap of microbacter 7 Tuesday night.

His appetite was never great over the 10 days he has been in the tank . I put in nori on a clip but he would never eat it or even investigate so I would remove it later that day . I have seen him peck at pellets on the floor I have added and also Mysis shrimp . But he was never eating like a pig like my tomini tang in the display tank.

my fingers are crossed that his health improves when I get home tonight from work but from what I have been reading online if it is ammonia poisoning he might not recover .

I will take a video tonight if he is still alive and post it .

THanks for your help !!!

@Jay Hemdal

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back