Chocolate Chip Star halfway out of water for a minute

Teku1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all.

Our chocolate chip star was halfway (3/5 arms) out of the water for about 1 minute when we did a water change tonight. I completely didn’t even see him up on the glass eating after my fiancé fed him. He remained on the glass and was fine after the water got added back. Is there a high risk? 2 of his arms stayed in the water fully because I noticed him and quickly refilled it. He kept eating after the incident. He’s generally healthy I think, he eats meaty food daily.
Thanks in advanced ❤️

Avast
OP
Teku1998

Teku1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Should be fine! Nothing much you could do anyway. High degree will have no affect!
High degree?
If he continues eating, you're fine. But do monitor!
What should I monitor for and what can I do if things do seem worse (lack of eating?).
I’m pretty used to signs of distress on fish but I have no idea what that would look like on a starfish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Not abnormal. If you get to a seawater beach or carribbean, you will notice both starfish and fiddler crabs out of the water periods of the day

moz71

View Badges
Reaction score
High degree?

What should I monitor for and what can I do if things do seem worse (lack of eating?).
I’m pretty used to signs of distress on fish but I have no idea what that would look like on a starfish.
High degree I mean that I am 99.9 percent positive you are fine!!! Don’t stress about it. Happens in nature and often. If for the .1 percent chance something wrong it will look like it’s melting but honestly don’t sweat it. Enjoy

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all.

Our chocolate chip star was halfway (3/5 arms) out of the water for about 1 minute when we did a water change tonight. I completely didn’t even see him up on the glass eating after my fiancé fed him. He remained on the glass and was fine after the water got added back. Is there a high risk? 2 of his arms stayed in the water fully because I noticed him and quickly refilled it. He kept eating after the incident. He’s generally healthy I think, he eats meaty food daily.
Thanks in advanced ❤️
No worries, they can be out of water for a couple of minutes.

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 121 32.9%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 55 14.9%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 99 26.9%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 51 13.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.8%
Omega Sea, LLC