Chocolate Tang in QT on its side

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chocolate tang in QT since 5/7. He was with a Naso that shortly passed away from suspected bacterial infection. Chocolate seemed to be doing fine so I started Cupramine treatment on 5/13 with half dose and doses remaining to full strength on 5/14. Today he’s on his side breathing very heavily. I tested copper with Seachem test and looks good. Hard to tell though with the color chart.

What should I do? Should I remove copper?

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot that I ran Kanaplex after the Naso died until. Did a water change right before I added copper.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper from zero to full strength in two days?

Normally wouldn't bring it up that quickly unless you suspect - or are certain of - velvet.

At this point, backing off on the copper - or even moving the fish to a copper-free QT ... or even a copper-free bucket ... might be a good idea.

~Bruce

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper from zero to full strength in two days?

Normally wouldn't bring it up that quickly unless you suspect - or are certain of - velvet.

At this point, backing off on the copper - or even moving the fish to a copper-free QT ... or even a copper-free bucket ... might be a good idea.

~Bruce

I was just following the instructions on the bottle. Says do it over 2 days, maybe too fast.

I did move him to a copper free bucket, but I’m afraid it’s too late. Not looking too good.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for that airstone.

This is a hobby that's all about learning. Fortunately, you've found one of the best places in the known universe to do just exactly that.

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper could have been brought up too quickly, but what about the ammonia? Do you have an ammonia alert badge?

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it passed sometime while I was at work today. I’m not having good luck with my QT so far. I’m 0/2 on new fish :(

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it passed sometime while I was at work today. I’m not having good luck with my QT so far. I’m 0/2 on new fish :(
Sorry to hear of your losses. Don't let it get you down. You are doing it the proper way IMO. Where are you getting fish from?

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your losses. Don't let it get you down. You are doing it the proper way IMO. Where are you getting fish from?

Getting from LFS. I expected the Naso to not make it when I got him, but I figured I would at least try to nurse it back to health. The chocolate was very disappointing as he looked very Health and active when I picked him up. I feel like I must have done something wrong there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%

Back