Choice of pumps for 6ft tank

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya,

I'm currently trying to decide on what pump setup to use on my 6ft long 190g because my flow is a little low at the moment(about 20x) and I would like to replace a very old and noisy AquaClear streamer with something better. I also run 2 Tunze 6065 at the moment.

At first I was thinking of running 2 extra Nero 5 on top of the 2 Tunze pumps currently in there, mainly because of the aestethics of the nero being so small but I read that they have problems pushing flow far so I guess they would be a bad fit for a 6ft tank.

Then I thought of the MP40QD and I can't really find any bad things about this one except the price being what it is.

The gyres have also peaked my interest, but because of my overflow box looking the way it does I think putting a gyre on it would remove a lot of openness on that side of the tank. I could hide it on the side of the overflow but since they need to be cleaned more often than other pumps I'm not so sure about them, I can be gone for a few days in a row and I'd hate for a pump to run slow that entire time because I missed a maintenance weekend.

Now I've started looking at the Tunze Stream 3. 5 year warranty, high flow and mountable on the back glass making it possible to hide it behind the rockwork. Fitting it to one of the tunze stream 3 rocks should make it possible to eventually remove all the round tunze pumps and maybe even get rid of pumps mounted on the glass entirely and hide 3 of the streams in the rockwork of the tank instead. Bonus is that I can get a 7097 controller and have pretty much the same functionality as in the Vortech pumps from what I can read in the manuals.

Since I have a yellowheaded sleeper goby I think a storm mode will be very valuable to help clean sand off from the rock and corals, but I guess almost every pump with a controller has that function nowadays.

What do you think?
What option would you choose?
Have you tried the tunze stream 3?

Overflow box - Has open spaces on the sides of it. Big enough for a tunze/gyre but not a vortech sadly.
20200310_133415.jpg

FTS (Project is still ongoing, excuse the blanket - hate being blinded by T5 lights!)
20200310_133422.jpg

Thanks!

20200310_133415.jpg 20200310_133422.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice looking tank! You may want to also consider the Octo Pulse 4. If you select the Nero 5 then you may want to add a guard like the one from @FishOfHex.

OP
OP
badluckman

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! You may want to also consider the Octo Pulse 4. If you select the Nero 5 then you may want to add a guard like the one from @FishOfHex.

Thank you!
The Octo looks really nice, but we had no dealers for them in Sweden. Good tip about the guard - I'll have to bribe him to send one overseas if I pull the trigger on the Nero.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back