Choosing a good overflow system for a new 290gal tank

aeneas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into options for a pre-constructed overflow box for my new 290g tank.... Any thoughts / preferences among these vendors that I found?

- Exotic Marine Systems: has horizontal instead of vertical slots in the inner box: good or bad? Looks the only system that does horizontal...

- Fiji Cube 2400gph: also looks very sleek...

- Modular Marine 3000gph: seems interesting, but it looks like not available at the moment...?

- Eshopss Eclipse L: probably too small for 290gal tank?

- Synergy Reef Ghost 20": some review say poor / cheap quality?

Any thoughts on one vs the other?
Cost is not an issue - this should last for years, so if +/- a couple of hundred dollars, I don't care that much - I particularly want to make sure I choose good components.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the horizontal slots myself. I wanted to have a tank built and that was how I was going to do the back of the tank with just an external box.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Modular Marine on my 210g. Works nicely. Sorry it is unavailable at the moment. Love the fact you can pull inside out to clean it. Hope you find one that fits. I have never used the others. Good luck!

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no actual experience with any but have decided on the Fuji Cube after a lot of reading. I like being able to completely remove the weir box for one. It also has good reviews. Some of the others mentioned have nice features but availability is a problem. MM seems non existent and Synergy Reef says 4 weeks. Eshopss doesn't have one large enough that I see.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reviewed the pictures of the Figi Cube, and look almost identical to Modular Marine, so if available, that is what I would go with.
The larger horizontal slits may be fine, but I would worry more about things getting in there.
You do have to clean the vertical slits once in a while. Algae can build up.

OP
OP
A

aeneas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no actual experience with any but have decided on the Fuji Cube after a lot of reading. I like being able to completely remove the weir box for one. It also has good reviews. Some of the others mentioned have nice features but availability is a problem. MM seems non existent and Synergy Reef says 4 weeks. Eshopss doesn't have one large enough that I see.
Fiji Cube looks like a good quality build. The only thing I don't really understand is why they have a hole drilled through the top of their external box??? It's the only system that has that. Also the top seems to be transparent, whereas others mainly have dark or even black to prevent algae growth there.
Do you have any idea what is the purpose of the hole in the top?

Just reviewed the pictures of the Figi Cube, and look almost identical to Modular Marine, so if available, that is what I would go with.
The larger horizontal slits may be fine, but I would worry more about things getting in there.
You do have to clean the vertical slits once in a while. Algae can build up.
The reviews say the horizontal slits make it the quietest overflow system of all. That would be a BIG plus for me, if true.

I'm currently split mostly between Exotic Marine Systems with the horizontal slits and Fiji Cube (as an alternative to Modular Marine).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having the tank custom made? If so, how about having them build the overflow. I'm getting a 63" tank with the weir cut into the back panel, so not proud into the tank at all. External box is just a box, frankly.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji Cube looks like a good quality build. The only thing I don't really understand is why they have a hole drilled through the top of their external box??? It's the only system that has that. Also the top seems to be transparent, whereas others mainly have dark or even black to prevent algae growth there.
Do you have any idea what is the purpose of the hole in the top?

The reviews say the horizontal slits make it the quietest overflow system of all. That would be a BIG plus for me, if true.

I'm currently split mostly between Exotic Marine Systems with the horizontal slits and Fiji Cube (as an alternative to Modular Marine).
The hole is for the return line.
My corner overflow is the same.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hole is just a way to get it off and maybe to insert some probes. It is clear, which could lead to algae build up. I thought the unit would be used as a bean animal. I guess if it is a simple herbie, it could be for an return. Either way it says.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hole in the top is just a finger hole to more easily remove the cover. The eshopps overflow have it also. Love the marketing on these things though. Not entirely clear what is 'unique' about this .... maybe it's the funky looking bulkheads. Removable skim box is nice, not unique though as MM does it also. Maybe the o-ring is the difference. The only watch out is that these overflow manufacturers inset on a lower external box. I understand the desire to clear the tank rim, but a dropped down box creates other issues.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Fiji 2400 GPH. (The ads say all the right things, extolling it virtues.) HORROR story of my life. Bottom line: I could not get a water-tight seal between the O-rings and the inside of the bulkheads. When the return pump gets shut off (power outage?) water will continue to drain into your overflow and down into your sump until your tank water is lowered by several INCHES. If you have a large tank, that could overwhelm your sump. The company’s response was essentially, ‘Oh well. Sometimes bulkheads are out-of-round and don’t make a tight fit. Ha!! So I had to use aquarium sealant/silicone all around everything— making the seals more permanent and defeating the easy clean feature of the Fiji system, where are you were supposed to just be able to pull the weir box off and push it back in whenever you choose to clean it.

As a PS, the overflow box itself had a bad acrylic seam-weld, and they had to send me a new one.

You can see it in use on my Build Thread, but remember, it is siliconed together.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Fiji 2400 GPH. (The ads say all the right things, extolling it virtues.) HORROR story of my life. Bottom line: I could not get a water-tight seal between the O-rings and the inside of the bulkheads.
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering that overflow due to the fact the interior box is removable. Will stick to the custom overflow I already have.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Fiji 2400 GPH. (The ads say all the right things, extolling it virtues.) HORROR story of my life. Bottom line: I could not get a water-tight seal between the O-rings and the inside of the bulkheads. When the return pump gets shut off (power outage?) water will continue to drain into your overflow and down into your sump until your tank water is lowered by several INCHES.
This is also how my modular marine box is. Since the design allows the inner box to be removed, it makes the inner box a slip fit into the bulkheads, allowing extra water to SLOOOOOWLY drain. I have had my tank off for hours a few times here and there and barely notice any extra water, BUT, in the event of an extended power outage, I’m talking probably 24-48hrs it could potentially “leak” down an extra 4”-5” of water.

My tank is 60”x36”x24”, so just a few inches of water can be A LOT. Although my sump will handle all plus some.

But, I love my MM overflow. I had it “custom” built/sized to my liking.

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my modular marine 1600. I just ordered a second custom weir. To gain a little space for a screen top. the customer service is great. There a little behind from the weather but they’ll catch up quickly.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my modular marine 1600. I just ordered a second custom weir. To gain a little space for a screen top. the customer service is great. There a little behind from the weather but they’ll catch up quickly.
The website has a message that basically says they are closed and it's been like that for months. Do you have another source to get these ?

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about THIS: I gave it a 1-Star review on BRS, and explained the problem. Do you think the 1-Star review shows up?
I haven't been able to access reviews on BRS for some time. I thought maybe something is wrong with my computer.

OP
OP
A

aeneas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Fiji 2400 GPH. (The ads say all the right things, extolling it virtues.) HORROR story of my life. Bottom line: I could not get a water-tight seal between the O-rings and the inside of the bulkheads. When the return pump gets shut off (power outage?) water will continue to drain into your overflow and down into your sump until your tank water is lowered by several INCHES. If you have a large tank, that could overwhelm your sump. The company’s response was essentially, ‘Oh well. Sometimes bulkheads are out-of-round and don’t make a tight fit. Ha!! So I had to use aquarium sealant/silicone all around everything— making the seals more permanent and defeating the easy clean feature of the Fiji system, where are you were supposed to just be able to pull the weir box off and push it back in whenever you choose to clean it.

As a PS, the overflow box itself had a bad acrylic seam-weld, and they had to send me a new one.

You can see it in use on my Build Thread, but remember, it is siliconed together.
Wow, this is a very very helpful feedback! Thanks!
I wonder if this is QC from Fiji or could be something to be mindful of for all other "assembly" box overflow systems...

That's great to hear! :) For how long has it been running?

To reply to some suggestions above: it will be a custom-build and yes I was indeed thinking also to ask the maker to also do the overflow system based on the bean animal design. However after seeing some of these sleek ready-made solutions, I don't think I have seen any DIY build that would come even close to the aesthetics of those. Also the size seems to be much more "efficient" (i.e. smaller space required) with these pre-made than if making them DIY.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%

Back