Choosing a good overflow system for a new 290gal tank

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just emailed them last Wednesday they got back to me on Friday and told me they were behind due to weather related power outages. And yet they still had Time to respond to me with clear notes on what I wanted and the custom color of the original. Which I haven’t run yet but the quality of workmanship, there solid reputation and outstanding customer service leaves my very confident.

OP
OP
A

aeneas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the design it seems there are three main styles:

(A) Vertical slits of the weir with external box significantly lower than the internal (Synergy Reef, Eshopps,...): likely to be loudest because of gurgling sound of "waterfall" drop at the weir side

(B) Vertical slits of the weir with external box at equal level as the internal box (Modular Marine, Fiji Cube): likely to be quieter? Some QC issues reported with Fiji Cube, MM seems to be reliable and good quality. Noise level?

(C) Horizontal slits of the weir with external box at equal level as the internal box (Exotic Marine Systems): EMS is the only one with horizontal slits of the weir. They claim this gives larger actual skimming surface and creates less friction / gurgling noise than vertical slits (and less rapid reduction of volume due to algae); however they are the only ones doing this and they don't claim a patent on the design... so I am wondering... if no-one else is doing horizontal slits - are they effective? Is there any other advantage of doing vertical slits??

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled MM and they do have boxes for sale on ebay despite what the website says. Taking another look.

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just got the Fiji Cube 2400GPH model and I am in a debate with them over the claimed flow rate,
1. Fast response time, but they are not very helpful.
2. I think the overflow is at 1500GPH before i started to get the tank level to rise above the internal weir (aka going to overflow my tank). I cant prove my GPH so am getting an apex FMK to hook up and test the actual flow rate (they dont seem to have any document on how they calculated it) but they have 3 units with the same size holes and different flow rates...
3. for installing the bulkheads, I had to put them on the internal weir individually and then install the hole unit. Im scared to take it off in case it doesnt go back on. (then I could test #2 and 4#)
4. If you have a rim on your tank, it likely will need new longer bulkheads and I used 2 x 0.25" custom acrylic spacers to get the exterior box above the rim (I have a 240g with 0.5" rim)
5. The weir design is too shallow for the flow rate - Thats my thought to them to fix #2. they ignored that and blamed my flow fate is too high (not impossible but unlikely)

I will update this based on the FMK and their response, then BRS is getting a review...

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into options for a pre-constructed overflow box for my new 290g tank.... Any thoughts / preferences among these vendors that I found?

- Exotic Marine Systems: has horizontal instead of vertical slots in the inner box: good or bad? Looks the only system that does horizontal...

- Fiji Cube 2400gph: also looks very sleek...

- Modular Marine 3000gph: seems interesting, but it looks like not available at the moment...?

- Eshopss Eclipse L: probably too small for 290gal tank?

- Synergy Reef Ghost 20": some review say poor / cheap quality?

Any thoughts on one vs the other?
Cost is not an issue - this should last for years, so if +/- a couple of hundred dollars, I don't care that much - I particularly want to make sure I choose good components.
I bought the custom modular marine 3,000gph 4 ft internal 3 ft external with 5 outputs instead of 3 and I am so happy with it. I would not use any other

OP
OP
A

aeneas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the custom modular marine 3,000gph 4 ft internal 3 ft external with 5 outputs instead of 3 and I am so happy with it. I would not use any other
Good to know, thank you! Why did you choose 5 outputs? Can you explain pls?

I am currently split between Modular Marine and Exotic Marine Systems... will go with one of the two. But planning to have 3 outputs for a Bean animal plumbing...

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am currently split between Modular Marine and Exotic Marine Systems... will go with one of the two. But planning to have 3 outputs for a Bean animal plumbing...
Modular marine will build you anything that you ask for obviously for the price. In my case come stock with three 1 1/2 inch drains I added 2 more 1 inch drains to gravity feed my algae scrubber and second for a spare when I decide what to do with it :)maybe a remote mounted refugium or UV sterilizer

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the modular marine at first mainly for the removable interior box. With the 300 gallon acrylic tank I have I think it’s called euro braced on top I could not get into inside to clean if not removable. Also it’s and 8 ft tank and inside custom built is 4 foot really awesome surface cleaning

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how the comercial Overflows look like since I had my Overflow Custom Made, when the 110G Tank Was Custom made.

This 110G Tank was made by Miracles Aquariums, back in 2018.
Still Running like a Charm to this day. All seams and silicone flawless.

Might give you some ideas.

This was it finished and delivered.

-> Starfire Glass on Viewing Sides (Front and right), Normal Glass (Back and Overflow Side)
-> Euro-brace Glass Trim (Bottom and Top) with (Cable, hose holes on Top Side...Best thing I ever did in the overall custom Tank Design),
-> Black Vinil External Film (Bottom and Overflow side)
-> Black Silicone all around, EXCEPT Clear Silicone on (Right/Front) Viewing Corner (I spent weeks between Black vs Clear Silicone decision) and 3 years later my worries of an Unclear corner (Green or cloudy)...never Materialized.
Custom110GTankMiracles.jpg

Getting it down into the basement, was quite the Challenge, even with 4 strong men.
After a few attempts, we gave up, and ended up wrapping it up in foam/carboard and did a sled slide down the stairs (Slowly!)

Near completion at the Miracles Factory. Before I had extra Custom Work done.

IMG_9384.JPG

The White Overflow Divider is acrylic with Film on it. Once the Film was removed it is black acrylic.

The Custom Overflow (Dual Bulkhead, Primary and Safety-Backup Secondary).
Once adjusted to run on one bulkhead drain it's pretty quiet (Not silent, but way better than my other 90 Gallon Tank with a Circle Hole Single Bulkhead/Inside Overflow box, which gurgles too this day)
IMG_9386.JPG

IMG_9391.JPG

IMG_9396.JPG

IMG_9392.JPG

The only complaint, or challenge I have is that Acrlyic Divider plate once covered in Coraline is not easy to remove. I Haven't even tried past year one.

Once the Baffle height was adjusted for Water Level, that was pretty well permanent from that point.

I just clean the Slots with a brush on both sides.

SOMETHING you should consider when buying off the shelf. Unless you plan on cleaning whatever overflow design you have (monthly), it won't be very removable fused with Coraline over time. So pick an overflow that's easy to maintain (not take apart or remove). You'll have a better safer long run.

Might as Well show the installation to give you the complete picture.

Custom Stand:

2018-01-19_SneakPeakOfficeSide.jpg

Installed (inwall) Sump Room Side.

SumpRoomApex.jpg

Day 0 Up and running
2019-01-02_SumpRoomReno.jpg

Other Side of Sump Room Wall (Few Weeks Later)

2019-01-02_SPS-OfficeView.jpg

One Last Important Note: When you pick the Position of your overflow, get the height right. The water level will run higher than the side overflow hole(s) in the tank once the return pump is running. Also consider your in tank powerheads making waves even higher. There is as mentioned in a post above, the drain volume to your sump when the return pump is shut off (that will be two factors. The raised height of the water while runinning (Draining down oveflow), and possibly additiona water from your return pump output (reverse drain, if below water line). In my case I have a sea swirl in one of the Euro Trim holes, so that's even more drain, since the SeaSwirl Nozzle is below water.

Last edited:
Back