Choosing A Substrate

pgsonier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't decide if I want to use a black sand substrate, or the more traditional white colored substrate. Are there any benefits/disadvantages to either. If a few of you could post photos if you have a black substrate tank, I would appreciate it just so I can get a better idea and perspective of what it would look like. Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black looks neat if you run your tank with mostly blue and actinic because it stands as a contrast to vibrant coral colors. The downside is the grain size tends to be larger (not the best for sand sifting gobies and such), and it is typically magnetic.

OP
OP
pgsonier

pgsonier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black looks neat if you run your tank with mostly blue and actinic because it stands as a contrast to vibrant coral colors. The downside is the grain size tends to be larger (not the best for sand sifting gobies and such), and it is typically magnetic.

I'm really leaning more towards the black sand because the back of the tank is black and I think the contrast between the substrate and the corals and fish would look really good. I'm not sure how it would affect the lighting or even if it would. Would the tank be noticeably dimmer because of a darker substrate? Would the substrate affect the amount of light the corals would get? I ordered an AI Prime for my 25gal tank, so I think it would be fine. I just have a ton of questions and I'm trying not to purchase anything on a whim and do a lot of research and reviews before I make a purchase, so the more POV's I can get, the better.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black starboard?

top-down_7-23-20.jpg

left_three_quarter_7-23-20.jpg

Menards usually has 1/4" thick in stock in 2x4' sheets. Just another option if you want t go with a black bottom.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really leaning more towards the black sand because the back of the tank is black and I think the contrast between the substrate and the corals and fish would look really good. I'm not sure how it would affect the lighting or even if it would. Would the tank be noticeably dimmer because of a darker substrate? Would the substrate affect the amount of light the corals would get? I ordered an AI Prime for my 25gal tank, so I think it would be fine. I just have a ton of questions and I'm trying not to purchase anything on a whim and do a lot of research and reviews before I make a purchase, so the more POV's I can get, the better.

I don't think it will really affect the brightness of the tank so I wouldn't worry in terms of its effect on coral. As for the prime, they cover 18x18 (unless this was expanded with the 16hd in which case ignore that).

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across this on BRS TV. They cover some pros and cons about different type of sand including black sand that I found to be true. It might helpful and answer some of your questions and concerns.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When i had my 360g, I did a combo of both ( salt and pepper look). Got a lot of compliments

93cubeb.jpg

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand completly poisoned my tank with Nickle and Vanadium. I'm not the only one (there are a few threads around about it). If you choose it then I recommend getting triton tests and be willing to pull it out.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back