Choosing a "system"???

porkchop-rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for about 8 years, pretty uninvolved for the last couple. That said, I have recently started a new Nano tank on my home desktop and began the build of my holy grail and long awaited 155 gallon cube-ish reef. Historically, i have owned fairly simple Sofie & LPS tanks that have thrived and been easy to keep. Water changes and basic husbandry kept everything within reason. At least until I became uninvolved and let the tank go for an extended amount of time. My hope with this large build is to have a Mixed-Reef that is SPS heavy. Not all Acro colonies, but lots of SPS and enough wavy/moving LPS and softies to keep the wife and kids happy!

Admittedly, I have a habit of being brand loyal. I.E. I use all Milwaukee cordless tools, my woodworking tools are all Delta-Rockwell (if possible), I only use Apple phones, tablets, and laptops, etc, etc, etc.

Heres my question... I have this desire to follow a "system" for my reefing. I like the Aquaforest products and marketing, but local availability and on-line help has been less than awesome. I am having some concerns with some of the negative things i read about being able to consistently get products, and some of the issues people have experienced with their salt specifically. I have been, and wanted to continue to use their salt. I was hoping to use their 1, 2, 3 dosing components, their foods, aminos, Carbon, GFO, etc.... but I am wondering if this is the best option.

Do most of you guys pick a brand and then follow their system exclusively, or does everyone mix and match and mingle different products and methodologies and make their own "system" for reefing? Many of the big brands have their system and approach and make products that all work together, i presume, but do most of y'all follow those guides?

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A master of all is a master of none. This is very true when it comes to reef products. It is all about what works for you, and your situation specifically. That being said though. Tropic Marin seems to have things nailed down really well. The salts are amazing, and people are buying so much all for reef nobody can really keep it in stock. I myself use tropic marin products. I have found each one I try to be of exceptional quality.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow a natural system with an anaerobic bent (plenum like). I follow this system conceptually like one would follow a Berlin system. I look for components that compliment this system and am not particularly brand loyal as brands tend to evolve to the point of being useless.

I think that is important to follow a system that is conceptual and not based on a manufacturer. I think the process of profit clouds the success of the system. As an example a Berlin system runs a skimmer, good lighting cured live rock and a bare bottom. This is the traditional Berlin. I have seen this system work it is solid and ageless. What brand you use for lighting or for skimming is really secondary to the underling concept of the Berlin system. Following the concept keeps you holding to a plan and pushing to a goal. It keeps you out of the buy every gadget on the planet thinking and keeps your components working toward a common goal.

It is hilarious for me to see the occasional wet/dry skimmer combination, but fully illustrates what I am trying to say.

My 2 cents.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one company does it all or does it better than anyone else. They all have their strong points and their weak. Aquaforest, for example, has an interesting take on the hobby, but their mixing instructions can be tedious and difficult in smaller tanks. ZeoVit is both cost prohibitive for some and time/resource consuming.

If I had to go with just one brand that I'd trust with most aspects of this hobby, it would be the Red Sea system. Their aquariums are nice looking and dependable, their skimmers are top notch, and their supplements/kits have an established record. I've been using them for many years and I've yet to be disappointed, but I don't use them exclusively - mainly because the don't actually make everything I need. I use SeaChem for filtration media and things like Prime. I use Brightwell for their Amino's. And I use Kessil for lighting (Red Sea emulated Kessil's lights btw).

So my vote is for Red Sea if you just have to stay loyal to one company.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt mixing, 123 components, or the other additives that all start at 27 gallons as the minimum dose?

Their additives. I have a 5g nano and when I move to a larger tank in a couple of months I'd like all my aquariums to be on the same system. Right now I'd have to mix in larger quantities or dilute, neither of which I want to deal with.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A master of all is a master of none. This is very true when it comes to reef products. It is all about what works for you, and your situation specifically. That being said though. Tropic Marin seems to have things nailed down really well. The salts are amazing, and people are buying so much all for reef nobody can really keep it in stock. I myself use tropic marin products. I have found each one I try to be of exceptional quality.

Very well said. I agree. Pick your brand or methodology and stick with it. Stability and consistency is key. And every company that makes salt and additives (dosing, supplements, etc) tends to have recipes that are similar but unique enough to be proprietary. So some salts will have different levels of Ca, mag, etc. you’ll want to stick with the brand you select because variation is a big stressor for corals and the like. If you do change your mind down the road, you’ll want to ease slowly into the change. Happy reefing!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back