Choosing among the Kessil lights for an Acro dominant setup

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for advice on a Kessil light choice. The tank is 60 X 24 X 24. It will be an Acropora dominant set up. I've spoken to hobbyist and read numerous threads recommending the Kessil A360's, the ap 700's, or the AP9X for mixed reefs and or combined in a hybrid set up with T5's, LED strips like the Orphek Blue strips or ReefBrights when going for the extra coverage needed in Acro dominant reefs. I'd rather not have to supplement with a secondary light source.
Would the a500 be adequate for this type setup without the need for supplemental lighting in a tank this size if sufficient height were obtained ?
I'd love to hear from people who are actually using the lights and can share their experience with these lights. Thanks in advance reefers!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you absolutely stuck on LED'S? If not, then you could go with an ATI 60" 8x80w T5 for the price of one Radion or Kessil 500 and have enough light for anything.

Upvote 0

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years to grow?
Must be those chinese lights you're referring to
LOL
All kidding aside, I've used SB reeflight boxes
They did the job. I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Radions , Kessils, T5's or metal halides.
Yeah from a 1” frag to a full colony that can shade other corals it would be around a year plus. With any light.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you absolutely stuck on LED'S? If not, then you could go with an ATI 60" 8x80w T5 for the price of one Radion or Kessil 500 and have enough light for anything.
Thanks but yes, I want the Kessil lighting effect. I've done T5's and I know how good they are. I'm going back years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah from a 1” frag to a full colony that can shade other corals it would be around a year plus. With any light.
I'll agree with the "year plus" comment even though I've seen some incredible systems here with fantastic growth in less than that. Totally depends on type of SPS and water parameters as well. I'm pulling stuff out of my active tank that I'm sorry I ever put in. Literally trying to scrape and chisel off the rocks.
At this point I'm content with the growth in that tank but would like to do it better in this 150 and That's why I'm asking for advice. I can't say it enough, I love the Kessil look. It's the prettiest I've seen. I have other tanks with great lights and I'm very happy with them but this is something I want.

Upvote 0

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll agree with the "year plus" comment even though I've seen some incredible systems here with fantastic growth in less than that. Totally depends on type of SPS and water parameters as well. I'm pulling stuff out of my active tank that I'm sorry I ever put in. Literally trying to scrape and chisel off the rocks.
At this point I'm content with the growth in that tank but would like to do it better in this 150 and That's why I'm asking for advice. I can't say it enough, I love the Kessil look. It's the prettiest I've seen. I have other tanks with great lights and I'm very happy with them but this is something I want.
I have owned most of the Kessil lights I have a few tank and I run all Kessil lights I have the old 150we with no dials to changes. I have the 360x and the AP700 I have the Ap9x on my display with two 360x.for your tank I would go with two A500x .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned most of the Kessil lights I have a few tank and I run all Kessil lights I have the old 150we with no dials to changes. I have the 360x and the AP700 I have the Ap9x on my display with two 360x.for your tank I would go with two A500x .
I spoke with Kessil and several others are recommending the ap9x. They claim I’d get better coverage.
I really wanted to try the the A500’s
How large is your tank?
How’s your sps growth?

Upvote 0

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few tanks
I have my main display with AP9x and two 360x
On each side with narrow reflectors. The main display is a 6’ 220 galllon that’s 30” deep. I have a mixed reef I have corals everywhere.
I have two 50 gallon frag tanks running 48” aquatic life t5 hybrid with one AP700 on each tank. That’s where I have the sps

I have a 50 frag tank with two 360we I grow lps
I have a 120 gallon with two 360x with narrow reflectors.
That tank is also 30” deep. I will probably swap out those two 360x for two A500 in the future.

I have 20 qt tank that’s running on a 7 yr old 150we.
I have anemone tank that’s running one 360x.

Upvote 0

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you satisfied with the 700’s for your acros?
Those 2 AP700 use to be in my old tank 125 ft tank
With two AP700 I was able to grow everything.
I had some hot spots because that tank was only 20” deep.
I run them at 100% they ramp up and down.
I have them with the t5 fixture that I run for 4hrs a day.

In my opinion the AP700 are great lights. They don’t sell them anymore. The new ap9x is very nice light and a huge upgrade from the old AP700. Saltwater.com was selling the AP700 for $499 brand new so that was a great deal.
Kessil discontinued them but if you can find them it’s worth it.

the ap9x has only been running in my tank for a few months so I can’t say yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the phone with Mason from Kessil today and we discussed what I want and my options. Mason is a reefer himself and runs two ap9x on his own aquarium. After going through the pro's and con's of said light vs the a500X. We determined that looking down the road at potential growth, my best option would be the ap9X. Said light would give me four pucs vs the two on the a500 and would give me more uniform coverage. Mason explained that PAR although important, is not the only thing that Kessil strives for in design. He felt confident that a tank the size of mine would be well covered with two ap9x's as the only light source for an Acro dominant reef.

Upvote 0

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the phone with Mason from Kessil today and we discussed what I want and my options. Mason is a reefer himself and runs two ap9x on his own aquarium. After going through the pro's and con's of said light vs the a500X. We determined that looking down the road at potential growth, my best option would be the ap9X. Said light would give me four pucs vs the two on the a500 and would give me more uniform coverage. Mason explained that PAR although important, is not the only thing that Kessil strives for in design. He felt confident that a tank the size of mine would be well covered with two ap9x's as the only light source for an Acro dominant reef.
I think I’m going to go the same route on my 150

Upvote 0

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you pull the trigger?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one that's doubled in size since October and has amazing polyp extension always.
PXL_20211219_175736080.MP~2.jpg

I got this around the same time and it's now thoroughly encrusted the base (it wasn't at all when I brought it home). On the back side is starting to bud out.

PXL_20211219_175859544.MP.jpg

Nothing crazy but for being new and coming from where I had it's really exciting for me to see things moving.

This was just a little a little nub when I got it in October as well slot half the size it is now and you can see it's starting to branch.
PXL_20211219_180209078.MP.jpg

I got these as test pieces to see how they'd do since I was gun shy from previously failed attempts. They are all under the reefi's
Since we last spoke I pulled the trigger on two AP9X's and I'm trying to dial in my PAR. I have a seneye meter but I want to confirm. I used it to take readings in my original tank which lite by Ecotech XR15 pro's. I tried to match the readings I got from the Radion's with the Kessil's but I'm seeing a couple brown corals and just want to see what the general consensus is for PAR.

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since we last spoke I pulled the trigger on two AP9X's and I'm trying to dial in my PAR. I have a seneye meter but I want to confirm. I used it to take readings in my original tank which lite by Ecotech XR15 pro's. I tried to match the readings I got from the Radion's with the Kessil's but I'm seeing a couple brown corals and just want to see what the general consensus is for PAR.
Take advantage of the violet channel if you haven't already. Just go slow with adding it if you haven't done so?

Upvote 0

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for advice on a Kessil light choice. The tank is 60 X 24 X 24. It will be an Acropora dominant set up. I've spoken to hobbyist and read numerous threads recommending the Kessil A360's, the ap 700's, or the AP9X for mixed reefs and or combined in a hybrid set up with T5's, LED strips like the Orphek Blue strips or ReefBrights when going for the extra coverage needed in Acro dominant reefs. I'd rather not have to supplement with a secondary light source.
Would the a500 be adequate for this type setup without the need for supplemental lighting in a tank this size if sufficient height were obtained ?
I'd love to hear from people who are actually using the lights and can share their experience with these lights. Thanks in advance reefers!
3 500x with a couple reefbrites or orphek strips or 4 360x or 2 apex. 2 500x will be too shadowing and spotty

Upvote 0

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 60x24x24 tank I'd go with 2 AP9X and a T5 set up. Kessils are great lights for LPS... acros and branching corals suffer because they have crap spread. I've had kessils for several years now and they really are spotlights. They create BEAUTIFUL shimmer because of the compact lens, but they probably have the worst spread of any major LED out there. Kessil + T5 is an excellent set up and capable of growing anything

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take advantage of the violet channel if you haven't already. Just go slow with adding it if you haven't done so?
Yes I am running it with acros. I wish there were more sample light programs to follow. This is what I'm using at the moment.
Clr-intensity-violet-red-green
10:00 0-0-0-0-0
10:15 0-15-20-0-0
11:00 0-20-20-15-15
12:00 35-25-30-14-14
16:00 80-30-40-25-25
16:45 65-25-40-0-0
21:00 0-10-20-0-0
21:15 0-5-10-0-0
21:30 0-0-0-0-0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 60x24x24 tank I'd go with 2 AP9X and a T5 set up. Kessils are great lights for LPS... acros and branching corals suffer because they have crap spread. I've had kessils for several years now and they really are spotlights. They create BEAUTIFUL shimmer because of the compact lens, but they probably have the worst spread of any major LED out there. Kessil + T5 is an excellent set up and capable of growing anything
I haven't installed them yet but I have two Orphek OR3 Blue's which are on standby to be put in when needed.

Upvote 0
Back