Choosing an aquarium

ffmurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m new to reef aquariums, and trying to decide on the right glass box. I’m thinking 75 gal and a sump. I was originally thinking of going cheap with a budget tank but the more I learn it’s probably best to just spend the bucks or wait to find a used nice tank. Any thoughts?

theishkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From doing this a while and starting with a cheap pet smart tank I can definitely tell you to spend more. You might regret it right this second but you won't 5 years from now. I wonder how much money people overspend in this hobby because they buy the cheap thing for $50, then it breaks and they buy the slightly better for $100, then it breaks and they finally get the good one for $200.
I'm in a different place financially now then when I first started in the hobby so it's easier for me to say. But my suggestion is to buy the nicer one now because you'll probably end up saving money in the future.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 65g standard 48” x18x18 new was $100.
No sump, just a AquaClear Filter, an ATO and a Coralife Skimmer. Bare bones to me.
039636E2-20AC-44BE-91E7-CB465BA15802.jpeg

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 65g standard 48” x18x18 new was $100.
No sump, just a AquaClear Filter, an ATO and a Coralife Skimmer. Bare bones to me.
039636E2-20AC-44BE-91E7-CB465BA15802.jpeg
People seriously can get away sumpless with a hob it baffles me that some People think a sump is required to own a salt tank and it’s not sure there’s some pros but it’s not a requirement. Tank looks awesome !!! I’m Doing a 40g breeder with hob

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people in this hobby will tell you to save up your money and wait until you can buy the good stuff. There is a reason that so many say this. We've all been where you are and we've all tried to save a few bucks only to realize that had we just waited, it would have made the journey so much easier and enjoyable. Instead of spending time saying I wish, you can spend time admiring your beautiful aquarium. Now, for somethings, saving a few bucks doesn't hurt. But for the aquarium itself.. That's the foundation, why not start a build on a good foundation?

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m new to reef aquariums, and trying to decide on the right glass box. I’m thinking 75 gal and a sump. I was originally thinking of going cheap with a budget tank but the more I learn it’s probably best to just spend the bucks or wait to find a used nice tank. Any thoughts?
I think you should do what you want to do. Lol but you can get away without spending a arm and leg for some AIO tanks like a JBJ and some others. Or you can go with a standard petco tank run a hob filter and all the other stuff heater power head etc. it’s really person preference and how deep your pocket is.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a basic, used, rimmed 125 (it does at least have the overflows) for a few hundred dollars for my current tank. Now that I am more involved into the hobby I wish I would've bought one of the fancy looking rimless tanks from a respected manufacturer, but when first starting off there is no chance I would've paid thousands for the tank. So in my case I actually don't regret getting the cheaper basic tank because it's what got me into (well actually back into) the hobby.

I've considered switching to a custom tank that is considerably bigger, but I'm lazy and don't want to do the work to switch it over.

If you have the money and know that you will enjoy the tank for years to come (not get frustrated with it and quit the hobby in a year or two) then I'd say get the better tank. If you aren't completely dedicated to the hobby then I'd just start off basic so if this hobby isn't for you it's less of a lose money wise if you take the tank down. This hobby can be very frustrating at times and sadly many people don't last long before giving up.

OP
OP
F

ffmurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice! I’m going to keep an eye out for a high end used tank and save my bucks to buy new if one doesn’t come up.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a basic, used, rimmed 125 (it does at least have the overflows) for a few hundred dollars for my current tank. Now that I am more involved into the hobby I wish I would've bought one of the fancy looking rimless tanks from a respected manufacturer, but when first starting off there is no chance I would've paid thousands for the tank. So in my case I actually don't regret getting the cheaper basic tank because it's what got me into (well actually back into) the hobby.

I've considered switching to a custom tank that is considerably bigger, but I'm lazy and don't want to do the work to switch it over.

If you have the money and know that you will enjoy the tank for years to come (not get frustrated with it and quit the hobby in a year or two) then I'd say get the better tank. If you aren't completely dedicated to the hobby then I'd just start off basic so if this hobby isn't for you it's less of a lose money wise if you take the tank down. This hobby can be very frustrating at times and sadly many people don't last long before giving up.
I couldn't agree more. You rarely hear from the folks who invest in the hobby just to decide it's not for them. My personal opinion is that there is a fairly high percentage of them.

Looking back, I would have invested considerably more initially to get just the right system the first time. BUT, at the time, I didn't know what "just the right system" was, or if I would truly be into reefing for the long haul.

My first reef was a 29 gal biocube. Didn't take long for my wife and I to realize that it just wasn't enough. I waited and watched craigslist until we found a 125 for a very reasonable price. In hindsight, it isn't THE tank, but it is still my baby.

Moral of the story: If you're completely certain you will be in it for the long haul, do your research and invest in a system that you think will keep you happy down the road. Otherwise, you can take a more cautious route and upgrade later. It could ultimately cost you more money later, or save you thousands.

OP
OP
F

ffmurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found a used red sea 250 with a return pump for $500. I think it will be a good place to start… I’m picking it up in a couple days. I’m also running a couple dedicated circuits to that area (materials are more than the tank costs). Planning for upgrades.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back