Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What it looked like when put in-wall on 2-16-11:
100_2336.jpg

What it looks like now (pic on 4-6-11)
100_2574.jpg

Now for some boring stuff...

Standard 180g AGA glass tank, in-wall w/ fish room. 100g rubbermaid sump w/ 30g cube tied in off sump w/ a quiet one 3000 return pump. 10 36" T5s on a hanging DIY light board.

Inhabitants:
Passer Angel
Flame Angel
Blue Throat Trigger + Sargassum Trigger pair
Yellow Tang
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Occy Clown pair
Bangaii Cardinal pair
3 Stripe Damsel
Yellow Tail Damsel
Cleaner Shrimp
Purple & White Collector Urchin
Mix of blue + red leg hermit crabs, turbo + astrea snails

4 zoa frags
4 acan frags
2 hammers (one burple w/green tips, one purple/whiteish)
1 gorgonian
kenya tree
4 polyps of Blasto's (welsi i believe, but dont remember)
2 ricordia florida
Devils Hand Leather

Left side:
100_2571.jpg

Right side:
100_2578.jpg

100_2570.jpg

The pics really don't show all the detail and swim through area especially in the right side which is designed more for the smaller fish to have somewhat of a safe haven w/ a large cave in the bottom for the larger fish to pass through. The left side is just basically a horseshoe shape with an odd shaped rock in the middle that I thought looked kinda cool, oh yeah, there are 2 larger caves in the bottom of each end of the horseshoe as well... hope you all enjoy

Last edited:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank! What are your plans to finish this off? Are you going to trim out the outer edge? Love the Angels and like the minimal live rock - plenty of swimming room. Keep up the good work! : )

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build looks great. Post some behind the scenes pics. Also are the angels reef safe?

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the triggers. ive debated the blue throat in my reef but idkk.. lol looks good

Thanks, yeah the triggers are great and one of my favorite fish because they swim and act totally different then all my other fish, and not alot of people have them especially the sargassum.... and I don't think I have ever seen anyone that has both together and especially not anyone thats had them seem to pair up :)

Good looking tank! What are your plans to finish this off? Are you going to trim out the outer edge? Love the Angels and like the minimal live rock - plenty of swimming room. Keep up the good work! : )

Thanks! :) Its been a big work in progress, one of these days I will get around to making and installing the trim border which will more then likely be a 1x6" with routered edges, just have to get the time to mess with it all.

Build looks great. Post some behind the scenes pics. Also are the angels reef safe?

Behind the scenes is a giant mess right now, but will be posted once I get things finished off or atleast somewhat organized atleast lol As with any angel (or fish for that matter) the angels are both hit/miss but I have been lucky and they are miss for the most part on tasting the corals. Wish I could say the same for my yellow tang, idiot ate a blue hornet that I got the other night and ate 6 purple hornets about 3 months ago :(

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated FTS... picked up some more corals the other night from a friend :) :
100_2593.jpg

And some randomness:
100_2601.jpg

100_2595.jpg

100_2605.jpg

100_2611.jpg

100_2628.jpg

100_2638.jpg

100_2640.jpg

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks very nice. how about some behind the scene photos of the sump and equipment

bob

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump & equipment = nothing special really..... I don't have any pics of it right now, and not in any rush to take any until I get it all cleaned up, organized more and all that fun stuff. Like everything else though, I keep it all fairly basic and simple....

100g rubbermaid (basically just added water volume and place to pour in my top off water) with the 3 total drains (2 from 180, and 1 from my 30 cube), maybe 5 lbs of LR rubble and return pump (quiet one 3000 feeding both tanks). My skimmer is a HOB prism pro, and I also run the Large CPR Fuge. 10 bulb custom retro hanging light (piece of plywood painted white w/ a piece of the plastic/fiberglass paneling over it with 4 x 36" bulbs on each end and 2 x 36" bulbs in the middle).... oh yeah and a large tetra hob filter for carbon.

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive never had any issues with either fish being overly aggressive..... but I got the Sargassum from a friend who was losing wrasses and other small fish lol

The Sargassum does do some harrassing and chasing from time to time, but nothing that has really concerned me. Both triggers (species in general) are alot more mellow then many other types of triggers tho ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! I like the light color in the tank.

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you revhtree.... I need to get a pic of my custom light set up.... its just a plywood board with ballasts up top but I run 10 bulbs total..... 4 36" bulbs over each end and an additional 2 bulbs centered over the tank.

Altogether I have:

2 ATI aquablue specials (1 each end)
4 ATI Blue + (2 each end)
3 ATI purple + and (1 each end and 1 centered)
1 ATI Actinic (1 centered)

Personally I really like this set up as it gives great light, holds colors pretty true, yet in person the colors do pop pretty decent.... and I cover a good amount of the light spectrum so most colors are very well accentuated by the lights :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wife comes home yesterday, and tells me she was planning on getting me some store credit to my favorite LFS for my birthday (I always get her to tell me what im getting or give it to me early.... im not a waiting kinda guy lol), and then she mentions that Andy (shop manager) has some kind of rare angel in that hes never even seen in person and it looked really cool that she thought about getting instead. Long story short... Im an angel freak and have a new Venustus Angel now cruising the caves of the 180 :)

Its still super shy and hiding alot (common with them anyways) so no pics yet, but hopefully with my feeding habits and the 13 other fish in the tank it will be spending more time cruising in the open... and posing for pics! :)

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sure what caused it, but woke up today to find my sargassum trigger dead! :( I dont think it had anything to do with the new addition tho as the sargassum didnt have any marks on her, and I watched her go to bed lastnight.... she went in her sleep I believe as I found her near her resting spot on her side in the locked possition!

On a good note tho, the new Venustus is looking good, and getting more active and coming out of the caves a little bit today

OP
OP
C

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Chris, glad to see ya over here :)

Sticks are doing pretty good still coloring up, but most are coming along nicely. Picked up a couple more at the swap sunday, hopefully they will do good. Planning on getting my RO/DI and laundry tub set up in the fish room this week too so I can set up my calcium reactor as well!!

My Sargassum Trigger died, as did the Venustus :( Not to sure what happened w/ either (different days, only losses, neither had any "battle wounds"). I suspect collection to be the issue with the Venustus as when I inspected the body I could see the needle mark from it being "pinned"/ "popped" which was red and there were red lines (like you could see around an infection) around that area :(

geaux xman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to read about the sargassum and venustus. both are very nice looking fish.

the only thing i can suggest is to QT fish, especially angels. i do 2 treatments of prazi pro with every fish i get. angels are notorious for carrying flukes and worms.

Back