OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am targeting this weekend. My plan is to add dry rock (and sand - yeah I need to have sand), heat water, then add the salt slowly (as you suggested). Then once stable, add the live rock to the sump (with a piece or two in display as long as I am sure it is pest free.). That is as far as I've gotten in my thinking. Still need to program the Profilux - that hopefully won't be too bad once I get the hang of it. And yeah, this has been dragging on. Time to get things moving!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have added it all together and ended up with a mantis in my DT. Sounds like you've got yourself a green mantis shrimp, lol.

Here in DC I ride a Kawasaki Concours 14. I started on a Ninja, worked my way into an SV650S, and decided I like my back and touring comforts more than I liked rockets. I can still drop corners, but now have heated grips instead of slider bars.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have added it all together and ended up with a mantis in my DT. Sounds like you've got yourself a green mantis shrimp, lol.

Here in DC I ride a Kawasaki Concours 14. I started on a Ninja, worked my way into an SV650S, and decided I like my back and touring comforts more than I liked rockets. I can still drop corners, but now have heated grips instead of slider bars.
Gotta love heated grips... ;Drool;Drool;Drool

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding a lot of riders are reefers, or is it the other way around? It’s great to have two expensive hobbies although I will say my GS would be way more pimped out if I didn’t have this new build happening. I hear you about the rockets. I prefer a more upright position and adventure bikes seem to be a good compromise.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Scape
My dry rock has been curing for a few weeks. I decided I might as well get he rock into the display tank. So here are the first few views of the scape. The scape essentially consists of two Islands. I want them to be asymmetrical but forming a main chasm or channel. Here is my first attempt.

left side front view by choerenz, on Flickr

The island to the right actually is made up of two large rocks.

right side front view by choerenz, on Flickr

It may be a bit too much rock. I'm debating clipping off a bit from the back rock behind the tower. Pukani seems easy to shape so I'll have to consider that.

Here is the view from my sitting chair. The question is, should I reverse the islands and have the lower island to the right?

view from chair by choerenz, on Flickr

My wife took a look and suggested I create a second smaller channel between the rocks making up the right island. I like it.

seated view with new arrangement by choerenz, on Flickr

Looking for suggestions.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. The rock is just enough. It is not overwelming and gives enough space for fish or corals to grow.
I am not sure what would be the viewing position of the tank, but from the pictures you have taken I believe it would be this angle.
Just a suggestion (not sure if it will make the look better) to mirror the scape and move the rock (left to right and right to left).
40058509872_065961e69e_c.jpg

Just for 2 reasons:
- the big rock will obstruct the flow a lot. The closer you have it to the wave maker, the less loss you will have.
- the lower rock on the right in the picture is a little too much to the back. You will loose potential real estate to properly view the corals. Bring it to the front to have more of a slope kind of view.

As said, just suggestions. Once corals are in and growing, the rocks are supposed to disappear...

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci thanks for the suggestions. Regarding the large "tower" rock, I am planning to set up the MPs to direct the flow around this focal point. So there will be 2 MP40s, one on the left side of the tank a bit towards the front, a second on the right side a bit towards the back of the tank. Then, assuming I eventually breakdown my 40 gallon cube, I would also consider adding two MP10s on the back wall pushing water towards the front. I'm hoping to create relatively random chaotic flows. We shall see. I decided yesterday to leave the rocks as they are for a few days, then try the rocks reversed to see how that sits with me. I also may chisel off about 20% of the rock that is sitting all the way to the right in the pic above. I'll post updated pics later this week.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci thanks for the suggestions. Regarding the large "tower" rock, I am planning to set up the MPs to direct the flow around this focal point. So there will be 2 MP40s, one on the left side of the tank a bit towards the front, a second on the right side a bit towards the back of the tank. Then, assuming I eventually breakdown my 40 gallon cube, I would also consider adding two MP10s on the back wall pushing water towards the front. I'm hoping to create relatively random chaotic flows. We shall see. I decided yesterday to leave the rocks as they are for a few days, then try the rocks reversed to see how that sits with me. I also may chisel off about 20% of the rock that is sitting all the way to the right in the pic above. I'll post updated pics later this week.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try rotating the big center rock to the back of the tank, and bring the right island rock with the gap a little closer to the front on a diagonal facing vs full 90 degree swap. Or since I’m using geometry references, 45 degrees and rotate the center rock to the back.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - new scapes...

Scape 2: For this scape and the next I turned the large low island rock on the left 180 degrees. This resulted in the main chasm facing the corner I will be viewing the tank from most (corner shot). I then tried the smaller rock on the right in a more upright position giving the tank a second small tower and a second canyon. I like it but it will really make flow a bit of an issue and I'm torn between loving it and worrying its too much wall. Let me know.

Front View

Scape 2 Tall Front by choerenz, on Flickr

View from Chair

Scape 2 Tall Corner View by choerenz, on Flickr

View from Right Side

Scape 2 side view by choerenz, on Flickr

View of main channel

Scape 2 main channel by choerenz, on Flickr

Scape 3: Similar to my first scape but with the left island rotated. Not as "tall" of a look. Probably slightly better for the flow but the second chasm between the tall tower and the rock on the right isn't quite as interesting.

Front

Scape 3 corner view by choerenz, on Flickr

View from chair

Scape 3 corner view by choerenz, on Flickr

Let me know what you think

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both look good. Maybe pictores do not show the real difference.
The most important message for today: LOL
Throw water in it... ;Snaphappy;Snaphappy;Snaphappy

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following your thread from a while and I'm impressed how patient you are. The hardscape in the reef tank is not so important like in freshwater aquascapes, because of the corals. If everything is ok in 1-2 years you will be not able to see any of the rocks, not even speaking about canyons :). This can be seen even on your favorite tank, you can see how corals are overgrown the base of the rocks and the three pillars are almost connected. The most important character of the rocks is the size of their horizontal surface, i.e. the surface which is suitable for placing (attaching) corals. The towers are not really good approach if you want space for corals. And I'm afraid that the middle rock is quite tall and is very close to the water surface (few inches), this will not allow you to place nice coral on its top.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biom,

Hey I just checked out your build and you have some incredible SPS! Really awesome! Yeah I hear you about the scape. A year from now it will be an afterthought. But that said, I'm laying out the scape in a way that will inform the animals I will buy. What I love about real reefs, is the gems that you see in small crevices, on a small island in the middle of the sand, clinging to macro algae etc. I hope to recreate such a scene. It is the main reason that I wanted to leverage two to three large pieces. The rocks themselves have many small caves and crevices, and attaching corals is easy. But time will tell. If the tower becomes a problem its easily removed and I have a few other pieces that I could then swap in.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Janci - you lit a fire under me this weekend! So scape is done! I took matters into my own hands and "made" the scape more suitable to the tank dimensions.

trimming rock by choerenz, on Flickr

Its amazing how easy it is to shape Pukani rock. I took 30%-40% off the smaller rock on the right side and now I'm really pleased with the Island on the right. I was able to create slightly more room in the main chasm and with the help of a few MP10s, I should be able to maintain a healthy flow in some of the back areas of the tank.

Next.....

rinsing sand by choerenz, on Flickr

and.....

rinsing sand 2 by choerenz, on Flickr

I was amazed at how clean the mesoflakes are. I am really happy with this choice of sand. Its really white with interesting flecks of green, purple, and red.

Here are a few pictures of the sand under lights and with a flash. I apologize for the crappy iPhone quality. This weekend I will get out the real camera..

wet sand in tank by choerenz, on Flickr

Those darker areas are wet from the rinsing

sand under lights by choerenz, on Flickr

And while I don't think this picture really shows how great this looks in real life - I will take some more once water is in the tank. That will have to wait a few days as I'm once again traveling this week and I didn't want to risk running the tank without being around. But now we are making progress! Thanks again all for being patient with this build.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Ok - things are really moving along now. Two updates in one day means water in the tank is on the horizon. Today was early (or should we say late) Christmas for Choss - check out what arrived ....

Director in box by choerenz, on Flickr

doser in box by choerenz, on Flickr

director by choerenz, on Flickr

doser by choerenz, on Flickr

Doser and Director by choerenz, on Flickr

Now if only I had a few corals and water in the tank...http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/ROFL.gif

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@choss, I deny litting any fires. Those were merely observations from a friendly observer.
But I am happy you got lit. LOL
Sand is looking good... but that KH Director is looking so much better.

If I did not have a calcium reactor maker who is promising to get an ALK controller out soon, this GHL would be a good contestant. GHL and Alkatronic are close to each other. Where Alkatronic is better in my opinion, but if you have a GHL collection already you just have to stick with it.

Sooooo... As you will be traveling, I would happily try this KH Director on my tank :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back