Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci - if you can figure out how to get the whole GHL kit up and running, I'm glad to fly you over for a long weekend :).
Let me check. I might be free next weekend.
Just take in account... nothing will work properly with GHL until all latest firmware is loaded.
That is where to start.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me check. I might be free next weekend.
Just take in account... nothing will work properly with GHL until all latest firmware is loaded.
That is where to start.

Yeah I uploaded new firmware a few weeks ago, and after a lot of thrashing I finally figured out how to turn on one socket! Anyway it's why I have decided to take off Monday to give me three solid days to get the water in, equipment running and P4 programmed.

Following! Excellent build and a lesson in patience

Yes I am trying to stay disciplined but that will really be tested once the tank is cycled...o_O

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I uploaded new firmware a few weeks ago, and after a lot of thrashing I finally figured out how to turn on one socket! Anyway it's why I have decided to take off Monday to give me three solid days to get the water in, equipment running and P4 programmed.
I never had any issues setting up my controller. But that is a 3.1 and not the latest version. Old and proven piece of art.

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the glare issue I will have to deal with only during prime time lighting hours. When it is just T5 its really easy on the eyes and I plan on adding some Kessils as well. But I will play around with it a bit once I have the scape done. I just need to get my hands on a par meter and then I can align things better and keep my better half happy :)
Choss, I added kessils to my giessman Infiniti and I do like the way they turned out. But the kessils add fan noise that I wasn't a fan of, so I just thought I would share that.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you build the Kesdils into the light or mount them as supplements next to the Infinity? I had a kessil running in this room on my 40 gallon cube and the fans didn’t bother me but I am noticing it now as I test one of the two 360s I will run. Maybe that is because the tank isn’t running yet - it is more noticeable. Post a pick of your setup if you have time

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit should be 100% without new firmware, would assume updates are minor. Following along i am considering ghl over apex but on the fence. I am not a programmer and these boxes freak me out

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit should be 100% without new firmware, would assume updates are minor. Following along i am considering ghl over apex but on the fence. I am not a programmer and these boxes freak me out

Drtrash, thanks for following and I love your member name. I played around with the P4 some and the UI isn’t always intuitive but I’ll be able to figure things out with a little time spent. As i said earlier in my thread, i went GHL because you won’t find many (if any) controller failures, which isn’t the case with other controllers. So get off the fence :)

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins
Tank being filled by choerenz, on Flickr

After today it gets serious.
fish.gif
Hooked up my RODI and am leveraging the line I set up for auto water changes to fill the tank. The tank should be full by tomorrow evening.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Over the last few days I have added RO water by running a tube up from my RODI directly to the tank. Its a slow process but there was no way around it and at least I didn't have to lug buckets upstairs. Then I added salt - very slowly over time. I didn't want to add it all at once as I have read this can sometimes cause some issues with equipment.

Next step was programming my GHL Profilux 4. I can't say I have mastered much but so far I have connected the temperature probe, and hooked up 3 switches:

1. 2 heaters which will be controlled by the probe
2. My Tunze ATO, which is pumping water up from a holding tank in the room below
3. My Varios 6 pump which I am running at 100%

I have to say that the tank looks spectacular. The Reef Savvy looks substantial. The 24" depth is really amazing - gives the tank volume I haven't had in previous tanks. The glass is extremely clear. I'm glad I went low iron on three sides. The Ghost overflow is spectacular. Its just sleek and barely takes up any space in the tank.

So far, the tunze ATO is filling the tank without issue. I have noticed that with a tank this size, I can take out a decent amount of water before it comes on. On my 40 gallon tank, I take out a cup of water for feeding and the ATO comes on.

One thing I noticed about the bean animal overflow, is that it is very sensitive to the volume of water in the sump. I had it running dead silent but then added another 2.5 gallons to the sump. I then switched off the pump by accident and on restart I had the same issue as a few weeks ago, which was the primary siphon wasn't firing. So removing a bit of water fixed the issue and I now have it tuned perfectly with the gate valve and the ATO keeping the water at just the right level.

Finally, I can't say enough about how happy I am with the lighting for this tank. I have the 24" giesemann running a 250 Watt radium bulb, two blue plus T5s, one coral plus T5, and one fiji purple. but the addition of the Kessil's is where the lighting goes over the top. The shimmer of the combined fixtures is perfect. Right now I only have one 360WE angled in from the right but it's am amazing effect. Once I add the second one (currently on my 40 gallon tank) I think I will have the perfect combination of growth, shimmer, and LED pop for those late evening tank viewing sessions.

I need to get a good camera but for now here is a short iphone video - doesn't do the tank justice but its the best I could do for now.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen the little guy in about 2 weeks. We will see shortly when I add the live rock to the tank. I believe he moved into a new rock so I will see if I can get him to come out. I hope he didn't die on me.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Savvy tanks are a work of art, congratulations. The Profilux set-up can be frustrating, there is active 'support' group on R2R, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back