OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci - I picked up 4 acros this weekend including a stag and a green slimer. All 4 are in my frag tank to ensure there are no pests. I will need to take a look at your build to see where you placed the stag to get some ideas.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them high and with high flow.
But one blue one is not really liking this so I will have to put it a little lower.
... pictures please... ;Snaphappy;Snaphappy;Snaphappy

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI. How are you and the tank doing so far?
Wanted to check if you added the KH Director to the system already and what were your thoughts so far.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci - great to hear from you. I haven't posted an update in some time as I am playing the waiting game on a bunch of sticks that I have sitting in quarantine in my frag tank. I will say though that everything in my display is rock solid stable and healthy. I have about 4-5 SPS frags in the tank and they are growing but not yet showing strong color. I need to add more fish and start feeding heavier.

On the KH Director, I decided to wait until I have added the 10 or so SPS frags in quarantine, as I'm able to maintain a KH value of 8 - 8.6 right now simply adding kalk wasser to my top off. The demands of the tank are still pretty low. I also wanted to wait on setting the system up until I received the new tubing (just arrived) and have returned from a little vacation I am taking in early August. So I'd rather not chance adding anything new before I get back.

Speaking of, I'm heading over to Switzerland and renting a new BMW F750GS and riding the Alps for a week. I need to start a thread on Advrider to document the trip.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this build. Ive been contemplating building a stand like yours since i saw this! Great looking set up!

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build. Ive been contemplating building a stand like yours since i saw this! Great looking set up!

Thanks! I am very happy with how it turned out but of course there are some disadvantages like having a smaller sump than if I had built out a traditional stand.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riding the alps sounds like a blast.

It should be. My buddy who I'm riding with also has a reef tank, which of course makes us nervous since things always go wrong when you are on vacation, and we are each others emergency contacts for tank related issues! But in my case, the P4 has been sending me a steady stream of data from my probes and things have been super solid for weeks. So fingers crossed.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci - great to hear from you. I haven't posted an update in some time as I am playing the waiting game on a bunch of sticks that I have sitting in quarantine in my frag tank. I will say though that everything in my display is rock solid stable and healthy. I have about 4-5 SPS frags in the tank and they are growing but not yet showing strong color. I need to add more fish and start feeding heavier.

On the KH Director, I decided to wait until I have added the 10 or so SPS frags in quarantine, as I'm able to maintain a KH value of 8 - 8.6 right now simply adding kalk wasser to my top off. The demands of the tank are still pretty low. I also wanted to wait on setting the system up until I received the new tubing (just arrived) and have returned from a little vacation I am taking in early August. So I'd rather not chance adding anything new before I get back.

Speaking of, I'm heading over to Switzerland and renting a new BMW F750GS and riding the Alps for a week. I need to start a thread on Advrider to document the trip.

Your tank will be fine during the trip.
Riding the Alps is great. Have a great holiday!

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your avatar inspired me to finally book this trip. :) Yeah I think you are right - the tank will be fine. I have to resist the urge to tinker with it before I got. I'll clean skimmer and change the sock and I think that will be it.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chris
How is life and the tank doing these days?
No news is good news I suppose?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post... tricky internet

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci - the tank is doing well. Travel and work is getting in the way at the moment but I have to make some time to get some pics. I have added a few acros to the tank and I have several more in my QT (plus 2 nice clams).

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@YHSublime thanks for the bump. I've been way behind in updating this thread but I have some good reasons. First, I took some time off this summer and actually took some much needed vacation time to travel. That included a dream trip with my friend Howard to the Swiss Alps via motorcycles. For anyone interested, I started a thread for this trip here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/two-friends-two-bmws-and-a-week-in-the-alps-black-forest.1334439/

I know there are quite a few reefers who also ride so why not (and I'm behind updating that thread too! :rolleyes:)

Anyway, the ReefSavvy has been doing well. I have slowly started adding a few SPS frags - mainly from other local reefers in the NY area. So far these frags are all doing well. Lots of PE but so far the colors are muted compared to original colonies in more mature tanks. But then again, I only have three fish and one shrimp in the tank right now. What is stopping me from adding more is a larger project in my spare "fish room". In this room I have two tanks - a 40 cube with 3 clowns, one sixline wrasse, one watchman goby, and a bunch of miscellaneous "weed" corals that my clowns love. And a 10 gallon mantis shrimp tank. The Mantis came in with my live rock but quickly became a favorite of mine. He's very tame at this point and always comes out to say hi around feeding time. I will try to get a pic this weekend. Anyway, I need to combine these tanks onto a common sump, and then reclaim some space for my quarantine tank.

I do however have a lot of great items in my 20 gallon frag quarantine tank. A few weeks ago I ordered two really nice Maxima clams (blue and green/gold) and a few nice frags from Pacific East. It has been around 6 weeks and everything looks healthy. So I am contemplating adding these pieces this weekend.

A few other things I will tackle - time permitting, is setting up my GHL KH Director and the two dosers I will need for ALK, Calcium, and Mag. I also added another MP40 which I need to hook up. Right now I'm dealing with a huge number of cords, bricks, sensors, and dosing lines and I'm frankly not sure how I will be able to handle the management of these items without it becoming a total mess. This is one area where my design for a floating tank lacks practicality. So its a bit of a daunting task to get through all of this in a weekend.

More to come soon - promise to include some pics of the corals and fish.

Chris

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back