coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, may I add a word of advice... NEVER make any adjustments to your tank after a certain time of night. ;)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly a good path of action to get that bulkhead sorted out.
And I am in for the rebuilt as well... lol

I hope all turns out well

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! Sorry to read this! Good luck on the Choss Version 2.0. Will be following along for sure.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad bulkhead but I now have 2.0 in the works. I will be fixing some things that were impractical in my build including the stand/sump. Stay tuned and thanks for all the support! And most importantly all my corals and fish are doing well. In fact I have a jam packed frag tank and the corals are really coloring up (no skimmer on that tank.....hmmmm).

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad bulkhead but I now have 2.0 in the works. I will be fixing some things that were impractical in my build including the stand/sump. Stay tuned and thanks for all the support! And most importantly all my corals and fish are doing well. In fact I have a jam packed frag tank and the corals are really coloring up (no skimmer on that tank.....hmmmm).
What a relief to read this.
So many good things will be published soon in this thread.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@choss -Very good choice on controller mate!! I have a P4 Mega Set as well and I am getting ready to install all of my gear for my new SCA 150 build! Anyways, how hard was it to calibrate everything in myGHL? i have there MaxiSA doser that's connected to my saltwater mixing station for fully automated water changes. The only reason why I have not set up my P4 yet is b/c I run all MAC computers at my home so I am just waiting for Xmas to get me a new lap top PC for just my saltwater tank! Try to tie in a little work station with the lap top ! What did you use to put all of your GHL equipment in? Here is a few pixs of some of the gear i chose to run my Rimless SCA 150
My Doser for AWC's
ghl-stepper-maxi-doser.jpg

50 GALLONN SALTWATER MIXING STATION
47572483_1420607961407515_7548632132000677888_o.jpg

SCA Rimless 150
Custom rimless SCA 150 w_ showpcs.jpg

Synergy SS-44 Sump.
SS-44Red-Black-SYSNERGY.png

My Synergy 20'' External Overflow box
hard plumbing 1.5drains.JPG

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@choss -Very good choice on controller mate!! I have a P4 Mega Set as well and I am getting ready to install all of my gear for my new SCA 150 build! Anyways, how hard was it to calibrate everything in myGHL? i have there MaxiSA doser that's connected to my saltwater mixing station for fully automated water changes. The only reason why I have not set up my P4 yet is b/c I run all MAC computers at my home so I am just waiting for Xmas to get me a new lap top PC for just my saltwater tank! Try to tie in a little work station with the lap top ! What did you use to put all of your GHL equipment in? Here is a few pixs of some of the gear i chose to run my Rimless SCA 150
My Doser for AWC's
ghl-stepper-maxi-doser.jpg

50 GALLONN SALTWATER MIXING STATION
47572483_1420607961407515_7548632132000677888_o.jpg

SCA Rimless 150
Custom rimless SCA 150 w_ showpcs.jpg

Synergy SS-44 Sump.
SS-44Red-Black-SYSNERGY.png

My Synergy 20'' External Overflow box
hard plumbing 1.5drains.JPG

FLsharkvictim thanks for checking in. I'm actually documenting a few things to update this thread so timing is good. So without giving away too many spoilers, the choss setup is about to change some. Lets just say that wood is being cut, plumbing is being moved, electrical being rethought, and several large boxes showed up after black friday. So there will be a major update soon but the short of it is that I have an opportunity right now to rethink my original layout and make some positive adjustments. That includes where and how I will store the GHL equipment.

So to answer your question a little better. I have the GHL P4, two dosers, and the KH director. My tank was still pretty new when I recently had to move the livestock out (which is all doing great by the way) so I wasn't yet adding ALK or Calcium as I was seeing my DKH stay right around 7.4-8 with just adding Kalk to my stirrer (ATO fed). And of course I run the litermeter 3 pump from my AWC station to exchange around 1.2 gallons a day.

So initially the P4 has been controlling or measuring the following functions:

• Temp
  • Salinity
  • PH
  • Redox
  • Metal Halide & T5 lights on main tank
  • cooling fan (GHL)
  • Metal Halide and reefbrite on my frag tank
  • emergency shutoff of ATO and Litermeter 3 pumps (although I never got around to setting up the leak sensor)
I will say that setting the unit up was not easy. For whatever reason I had serious issues getting the P4 to update firmware, connect to my wifi network etc. This was very frustrating (and right now my P4 won't connect to wifi or control center ,which I'm running on my wife's PC. I also run only MACs and wish they would release a version on the MAC). That said, I spent several hours on the phone with Marco (and to a lesser extend Vinny) and finally got things working. The P4 itself has been rock solid although right now I'm not able to access it via MyGHL (which was great when I had the wifi working properly) or control center via USB. But GHL customer support is excellent and I know the guys will help me when I'm ready, if I'm still having issues.

Since I'm rebooting my display, I haven't had time to get things back online but I will allocate sufficient time in a few weeks (probably a full Saturday) to reconnect things once I finish the planned changes.

I will also say, that calibrating the probes was not intuitive but this is where the GHL threads here on R2R are very helpful. There is one member who did a nice job documenting his GHL experience and it is the most helpful thread on R2R. Just google and you'll find it.

Anyway, overall I would still go GHL but I'm hoping they soon become a software company to make the UX much better :). I'll take a look at your thread and am looking forward to learning from your experiences. Thanks again for checking in and make sure you check back over the holidays as I should have some great progress to document.

Cheers,

Chris

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Great build with lots of great solutions...Sorry to hear about the leak at the end and hope it only leads to bigger and better in a very near future.

Looking forward to seeing the next set of updates.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BZOFIQ thanks for checking in. Yes, the new build will be similar but much improved. And the good news is my tank was still in the early stages with a handful of acro frags, but those frags are now thriving into small colonies in my 20 gallon frag tank. That tank runs sumpless, has a HOB refugium and no skimmer and a MH/reefbrite strip for light. The corals are really showing fantastic color which I attribute the the higher nutrient levels (3 fish in there v. 3 fish in the 90) and lack of skimmer. Its got me thinking do I re-launch skimmerless?

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BZOFIQ thanks for checking in. Yes, the new build will be similar but much improved. And the good news is my tank was still in the early stages with a handful of acro frags, but those frags are now thriving into small colonies in my 20 gallon frag tank. That tank runs sumpless, has a HOB refugium and no skimmer and a MH/reefbrite strip for light. The corals are really showing fantastic color which I attribute the the higher nutrient levels (3 fish in there v. 3 fish in the 90) and lack of skimmer. Its got me thinking do I re-launch skimmerless?

Don't relaunch skimmerless. Add it, and don't run it if you don't need it, but you're tank will grow, and maybe you'll get more fish, and feed more, etc.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't relaunch skimmerless. Add it, and don't run it if you don't need it, but you're tank will grow, and maybe you'll get more fish, and feed more, etc.

I agree overall but I'm amazed at how the corals colored up once I moved them from the DT to the smaller frag tank. Got me thinking..

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree overall but I'm amazed at how the corals colored up once I moved them from the DT to the smaller frag tank. Got me thinking..

Great to hear from you Choss.
Maybe there is more than one factor to be taken in account for the colouring up of the corals?
Flow, lighting,...?
I am not sure if I would ever dare to run a tank without the skimmer. Maybe if I had a ton of time and a smaller tank to be able to keep up with water changes.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Janci - good to hear from you as well. I have been busy with the hobby but haven't been great about updating my threa but I plan to do that soon with some pics of the progress. What I noticed with the frag tank, is that the corals really started to color up once I increased the bioload in this tank. So I had same corals in both the display and the frag tank, and the coloration was similar (similar lighting - MH & T5). But it has been recently, once I added the bio-load from my DT which included 3 fish (there were none in frag tank earlier), a few shrimp and crabs, and doubled the number of corals, that things started to color up. I wish I had taken before and after pics. Anyway, its an interesting little experiment that I have going and I guess the good news is so far its gone great with no losses, great growth and color, and no nuisance algae growing despite a good amount of feeding. The tank is basically just running a few bags of siporax, three small tunze powerheads, and a HOB filter. Anyway, I am excited to get the DT back up and running (hopefully soon) and then I will track this all a bit more scientifically.

hbrochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome that it’s all coloring up. That little tank is so packed full of coral and when that happens I think the Corals become a nutrient export tool.
You’re going to have a bunch of mini colonies in Choss 2.0!!

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome that it’s all coloring up. That little tank is so packed full of coral and when that happens I think the Corals become a nutrient export tool.
You’re going to have a bunch of mini colonies in Choss 2.0!!

Most of them are mini colonies of your 1.0! Thanks for checking in buddy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back