OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha Maybe some mistakes but probably some great ideas to ;)
Sounds like your sorted with the check valve and shouldn't be a problem.
One idea for the hose barb is instead to use a slip to male line fitting. The hose then gets pushed onto the male side thread with a tight stainless hose clamp so it can't pop off. The slip to male fitting I believe will have a inside diameter the same as your pipework instead of like the hose barb where it is much smaller.

Interesting, so the hose would go over a threaded fitting instead of a barb? You are right, then the inside of the fitting is the same size as the pipe. I have an extra and can test this out. Thanks for the idea.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment List
Most threads start off with an exhaustive list of equipment. I have been rolling it out in small doses so I thought it would be good to do an official list. So her it is:

Tank: Reef Savvy Customer - Phantom Bottom, armored seams. 42" long, 24" wide, and 21" high.

Stand: Custom built - Walnut with size 7 Gator Tubing pipe frame. 28" high, 48" long, 24" wide. Accompanied by two custom cabinets. One housing electrical, one the sump.

Skimmer: RLSS R6i venturi skimmer with a waveline 4000 DC pump.

Lighting: Giesemann Spectra 24" - 250 W metal Halide (Radium or Phoenix bulb - needs to be tested) and luxcore ballast. Can be switched to 400 W.

4 X T5 - ATI Coral Plus, ATI blue plus X2, ATI Purple plus

Additional LED lighting still TBD (Kessil)

Return Pump: Reef Octopus Varios 6, 1700 GPH DC pump

Flow: VorTech MP40 Quiet Drive X1, 2X MP10 QD, one battery backup

Reactor - BRS Delux reactor (will run GFO and Carbon in same reactor)

Refugium light - Kessil H80 Tuna Flora

Controller - Profilux P4 (will add doser and KH director early next year)

AWC Controller - Litermeter 3 pump

Heaters - Eheim Jager X2 (75 W and 100 W)

ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3155

Sand: Tropic Eden Meso Flakes

Salt: Tropic Marin Pro

Plumbing: Schedule 80 fittings, schedule 40 pipe (all BRS sourced)

It will be fun putting it all together in the next few weeks. A lot of the equipment has been sitting around since black Friday last year or early Spring. It will be Christmas in the Choss household soon and then the best part is, black Friday is right around the corner again.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, that table looks top quality.
But that is not a Chardonnay on the table... so with red for dinner and Chardonnay for the skimmer, the build is in his latest stages of coming reality!
Looks great Choss. Your patience is truely remarkable.

One question on the Litermeter.
You mention 3 pump. Do you use this for your ATO and AWC?
These are good?

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Litermeter III pump is a controller with a slave pump used for AWC (so two pumps and more can be added). It removes and adds the same amount of water multiple times per day. It is supposedly extremely accurate when calibrated (which is easy) although I will be checking it monthly. The pumps are designed for delivering water up to 50' away with good head pressure. In researching this option v. using a doser via the Profilux, the Litermeter seemed like a more reliable option. I didn't like relying on a high and low water sensor to affect the automatic water changes. I see that as a point of failure with large consequences.

I will draft a longer review of the system and the various backups I have planned. I will actually hook the Litermeter III to the profilux so that if there are any issues (like salinity changes due to some imbalance to the AWC calibration) including high water levels, I can shut the system off automatically. This is the part of my system I'm actually most excited about.

As far as the build goes, I have shown my true colors (both white, red, and even a blend) with my wine choices. Its kind of funny because I always envisioned myself sitting in front of my tank with a nice glass. I have just started early!

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Litermeter III pump is a controller with a slave pump used for AWC (so two pumps and more can be added). It removes and adds the same amount of water multiple times per day. It is supposedly extremely accurate when calibrated (which is easy) although I will be checking it monthly. The pumps are designed for delivering water up to 50' away with good head pressure. In researching this option v. using a doser via the Profilux, the Litermeter seemed like a more reliable option. I didn't like relying on a high and low water sensor to affect the automatic water changes. I see that as a point of failure with large consequences.

I will draft a longer review of the system and the various backups I have planned. I will actually hook the Litermeter III to the profilux so that if there are any issues (like salinity changes due to some imbalance to the AWC calibration) including high water levels, I can shut the system off automatically. This is the part of my system I'm actually most excited about.

As far as the build goes, I have shown my true colors (both white, red, and even a blend) with my wine choices. Its kind of funny because I always envisioned myself sitting in front of my tank with a nice glass. I have just started early!
There's a growing group of reefers down under that use the litermeter for AWC and they swear by it.

There's nothing wrong with a few glasses of vino in front of the tank empty or full! In fact you've now set the standard and I feel the need for many more tank pics with a glass or two in the foreground :p

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the Litermeter. I've read nothing but positive reviews. Maybe I can rename this thread "How many cases of wine does it take to get a tank wet" or something more creative.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the Litermeter. I've read nothing but positive reviews. Maybe I can rename this thread "How many cases of wine does it take to get a tank wet" or something more creative.
You'll have to add our cases of wine too while we are drinking and reading the thread updates!!
Thanks for the Litermeter info. I was looking into them and need a pump with that kind of head pressure.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Controller

A few pics to lead off the day. Look what arrived recently…

upload_2017-7-17_18-56-33.png

Just like Choss…
upload_2017-7-17_18-56-58.png

P4 Mega Set!
upload_2017-7-17_18-57-23.png

Man there are a lot of goodies…
upload_2017-7-17_18-58-4.png

And here is the brain and heart of the Choss system…
upload_2017-7-17_18-59-47.png

Man this thing is serious looking. And not small either…
upload_2017-7-17_19-0-43.png

Ok so by now you know that I am going with the GHL Profilux as the brains of my system. I did a ton of research as this is the first controller I’ve ever gone with so I wanted to be certain. So why GHL you ask?

· Build quality & reliability – There were a ton of threads on the merits of both controllers. But in the end, the GHL guys were the happiest of the bunch. And I could not find a single “GHL failure” thread or post. I travel a lot and this was critical to me.

· Programming – I’ve read mostly how easy the GHL is to program. We shall see if this holds up!

· Customer service – this was actually the deciding factor. When I started my research, I sent emails in to both companies. I called Neptune several times to no avail. I kept getting caught in a circular conversation with a pretty unfriendly type on the other end, who just couldn’t connect me with the service rep who had reached out to me. With GHL different story. Vinny contacted me and the rest was history. Super friendly, great advice, and quick turnarounds on questions asked. I will be controlling devices on two levels in my house and he was able to help me figure out cables that I would need, etc. I believe these guys will be there if I have any issues. Not feeling that way about the Apex support. In any case, I’m sure they are both great products but this was the tie breaker for me.

· Cost – Apex was definitely cheaper for what I wanted to do. But in the end, I have already invested heavily in the tank, furniture build, equipment, and not to mention the future investment in corals. I made a commitment to excellence in build and equipment selected so $100 or so more wasn’t an issue for me.

Can't wait to program this baby.

Wow I️ am shocked I️ didn’t see this before ! I️ personally have been battling the internal battle of what type of control to go with as well. Recently I️ was thinking I️ may go the same as you did with the GHL P4 . I️ am so glad I️ saw this ! Amazing stuff Choss I️ am pretty much in the same boat as you with my build waiting for more funding then it’s off to the races , Leds for my tank then Controller is what I️ am thinking , and I️ am leaning pretty heavily on GHL as well , I️ love honestly how sexy GHL products look [emoji102] absolutely amazing.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clayton, so I was promising an update - lots of plumbing etc. I have to organize things a bit but I thought I'd post a little teaser pic since you just hit on one area I have been fleshing out. You will notice that the shelf I created has two empty slots....and guess what I just ordered via Black Friday sale from AquaCave? Those two shelves won't be empty long.

Last edited:

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clayton, so I was promising an update - lots of plumbing etc. I have to organize things a bit but I thought I'd post a little teaser pic since you just hit on one area I have been fleshing out. You will notice that the shelf I created has two empty slots....and guess what I just ordered via Black Friday sale from AquaCave? THose two shelves won't be empty long.

Choss I am totally jealous, but I think I know what you are ordering / receiving , thinking your getting your GHL Doser 2.1 , KH Director , or the GHL Maxi doser ... or shot maybe all of them lol [emoji23]

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choss I am totally jealous, but I think I know what you are ordering / receiving , thinking your getting your GHL Doser 2.1 , KH Director , or the GHL Maxi doser ... or shot maybe all of them lol [emoji23]

You are a smart man... not sure why my pic of the shelf didn't take. Trying a second time

PB180331.JPG

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, if you are thinking about going GHL, the deal I just got on the Doser 2.1 and the KH Director at Aquacave is the best price I've seen for the combo pack. Give yourself a nice Xmas gift.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, if you are thinking about going GHL, the deal I just got on the Doser 2.1 and the KH Director at Aquacave is the best price I've seen for the combo pack. Give yourself a nice Xmas gift.

That’s a beautiful picture lol I prefer the Black version lol [emoji23] just me. I am strongly really considering a GHL. My nice Christmas present would be the P4 package , in black lol. I am currently waiting to hear on when I can take my state exam to become a nurse , so hopefully my build will set forward soon , quickly I am getting so inpatient ugh [emoji58]

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that you're getting on board with the KH Director, im keen as to see how it and all the other KH monitors go over the long term.
I think i read this right somewhere, but the KH Director can control each pump head to dose a 3 part instead of just ALK yea?

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that you're getting on board with the KH Director, im keen as to see how it and all the other KH monitors go over the long term.
I think i read this right somewhere, but the KH Director can control each pump head to dose a 3 part instead of just ALK yea?

I believe so. It might be worth posting the question on the DHL thread just to be sure.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a beautiful picture lol I prefer the Black version lol [emoji23] just me. I am strongly really considering a GHL. My nice Christmas present would be the P4 package , in black lol. I am currently waiting to hear on when I can take my state exam to become a nurse , so hopefully my build will set forward soon , quickly I am getting so inpatient ugh [emoji58]

I like the white - nice and clean. On your build - I'm in the same situation - things are moving along but slowly. Its good to be patient.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the white - nice and clean. On your build - I'm in the same situation - things are moving along but slowly. Its good to be patient.

I have given white a lot of thought to as well ! I know I have heard it is lol , it’s just hard when I want to get the tank going though ;) I am getting super antsy, on starting my first Reef ! That’s really all it is. But I know with patience great things do come ( LED’s , Controller) hopefully in my near future soon.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back