CHRISTMAS IN JULY CADE GIVEAWAY!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Terms and conditions said the winner would be contacted at about midnight last night.
Hi there! We announced on our Facebook that the winner was Fred Wininger. There will be other giveaways in the future though so please keep checking back! :)

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! We announced on our Facebook that the winner was Fred Wininger. There will be other giveaways in the future though so please keep checking back! :)
You going to comment about the part where unless you were the top 50 “entry” getters that your “entries” weren’t valid.

pretty misleading/terrible way to run what’s essentially a raffle

glad I wasted time tweeting, sharing, & following all the sponsors to miss out on a few items & not even be in the drawing

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The rules clearly stated: "The Sweepstakes must be entered by submitting entries using the methods outlined in the Sweepstakes. The entry must fulfill all Sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. " Please understand that we have not hidden anything or done anything against our stated rules, as anyone with all sweepstakes requirements met were added to the final random drawing.

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why call the rewards for completing each item “entries”? And Cade said they took anyone over 570, meaning they took people who didn’t complete all the “requirements”. Requirements in this case seems like it’s 18+ to enter, live in the US, etc. not completing tasks for “entries”. It was at least misleading & very sketchy. The “requirements” definition fall back is bs, it was never stated you had to complete all the entries (no one assumes “entries” means required)

If they were looking for good PR with this contest, they didn’t find it. Based on the FB comments, it looks like they lost potential customers

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, pretty crappy way to run it. If they are requirements, list them as requirements and once all are done you get 1 entry. Not hey do this for X entries or that for X entries. Those aren’t requirements, those are “here’s more ways to win”. Would I have won? Highly unlikely as I only had maybe 30 “entries”, but apparently I didn’t have any “entries” as I didn’t me unspecified “requirements”.

With that said, I only entered (or thought I did) for the fun of it. I’ve heard great things about you guys but this just adds to a lot of the “negative” reviews recently making me really wonder. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The point system was not in any way misleading, it was there to track the total entries and select the people who were added to the random drawing of all participants who completed their entry. We understand and we are sorry that not everyone got the results that they wanted and we are taking into account all the opinions and suggestions for the next giveaway. :)

Bryant1991

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point system was not in any way misleading, it was there to track the total entries and select the people who were added to the random drawing of all participants who completed their entry. We understand and we are sorry that not everyone got the results that they wanted and we are taking into account all the opinions and suggestions for the next giveaway. :)
If the point system wasn't misleading then why were so many people confused about it? It was misleading, you can not deny that. smh the fact that you cant acknowledge that says a lot about your integrity. Dont care that i didnt win. i never win these giveaways anyqay, but wouldve been nice to actually be entered after completing all those "requirements". if i wouldve known you had to complete them all i wouldnt have completed any.

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you have to do is go to the link https://www.algaebarn.com/contests/christmas-in-july-2021/, register, and then complete the tasks for entry points! :cool:
How can you say it wasn’t misleading? No where except on some questionable verbiage on the T&C about “requirements” did it ‘allegedly’ say you have to complete all the “entry points”.

Honestly, it’s really off-putting that you’re doubling down on this when so many people were obviously confused why their “entry points” weren’t counted & their time wasted.

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked great for me @AlgaeBarn fun contest and congrats to the winner!

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know. Yea not upset I didn’t win, but was confusing. Maybe next time, if it’s gonna be run the same way, just put “minimum 570 entry points required to qualify” and maybe specify them as “entry points” and not entries. Just a thought

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The rules, clearly state that all entries had to be completed. We did not select the top 1 person as it has been in previous contests, we selected from those that completed all tasks as was stated in the rules. We apologize that you didn't get your name in the final running, but the 50 people that followed the rules of the contest were then randomly spun to find a winner.

Here is the rule in the terms and conditions-

How to Enter:
The Sweepstakes must be entered by submitting an entry using the methods outlined in the Sweepstakes. The entry must fulfill all Sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Live Copepods and Phytoplankton - AlgaeBarn. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple e-mail addresses, identities or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Live Copepods and Phytoplankton - AlgaeBarn.

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rules, clearly state that all entries had to be completed. We did not select the top 1 person as it has been in previous contests, we selected from those that completed all tasks as was stated in the rules. We apologize that you didn't get your name in the final running, but the 50 people that followed the rules of the contest were then randomly spun to find a winner.

How to Enter:
The Sweepstakes must be entered by submitting an entry using the methods outlined in the Sweepstakes. The entry must fulfill all Sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Live Copepods and Phytoplankton - AlgaeBarn. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple e-mail addresses, identities or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Live Copepods and Phytoplankton - AlgaeBarn.
You can keep posting that, but it's not going to change the fact that people were confused when their "entry points" didn't count as entries. If you can't see how that confused anyone, then idk what to tell you.

I completed everything I saw on the link before I went on vacation on 7/29 & my name wasn't on there. Now, I can't check to see how many points I had or what I missed, which is annoying/sketchy.

Just apologize that it was confusing & the minimum entry "requirements" possibly should have been more defined instead of dieing on this hill. You're just digging your grave deeper with the people who were confused & upset.

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is! There are so many awesome accessories included in the giveaway! Make sure you keep checking back because more entry methods will be added!

Prime example: Your post in this very thread says "More Entry Methods", not "More Entry Requirements"

It's not hard to see why people were confused & felt it was misleading.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How to Enter:
And here’s where it’s confusing… “The Sweepstakes must be entered by submitting an entry using the methods outlined in the Sweepstakes.”

Based on the posts I’ve seen the initial entry was to register at the link provided.

Post 3 in this thread states the following:

“It really is! There are so many awesome accessories included in the giveaway! Make sure you keep checking back because more entry methods will be added!”

More entry methods to most people means additional entry opportunities not “more entry requirements”. It should have been clearly stated that you must complete all entry points to have a chance.

You may reply the terms did with this little statement “The entry must fulfill all Sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize.” However, nowhere, and I mean nowhere, was it said that “the more entry methods” or “entry points” or whatever term, were Requirements for entry.

Case in point, I brought up earlier that I had issues (due to things on my end) completing certain entries and you responded with “good luck”. That to me shows I still had an entry or chance. You could’ve responded with “all entry points must be completed for a proper entry”.

Anyway congrats to 50 top advertisers for the giveaway and the winner. I just know I will no longer be participating in any algaebarn giveaway.

I know it’s not helping anything as you are clearly standing by your legal speak (which would get thrashed in court btw but it’s not worth anything to me to go through that) so with that, you keep doing you. I’ll keep not ordering.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick add for reference, Here are multiple posts by you that seem to state the complete opposite of what you are stating now:
2 weeks left to enter in the Christmas in July giveaway!

Click on the link below to register and earn entries today!

So many awesome extras included like a Kessil AP9X, Tunze skimmer, Bulk Reef Supply Gift Card, Fritz salt and elements, chaos aquaculture mystery coral box and so much more!!

Christmas in July 2021 Mailchimp.png

There is still time to get get all your entries in to win a spectacular giveaway!

https://www.algaebarn.com/contests/christmas-in-july-2021/

jealousmeme.jpg Christmas in July 2021 FB.png

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With past events we have had several different cases of cheating. From people running contests to enter our events to users buying junk email lists to get a crazy amount of referral points. We would much rather do these events than spend money on ads, but it is extremely challenging to monitor, manage, deal with cheating, etc. AlgaeBarn would love to find ways that both our customers and the company can benefit.

We understand you don't like how the last event was ran. We hear you. We are listening. We want to hear from you: How would you like to see the next event ran from start to finish?

How do you think the winner should be drawn?

How would you like to see each entry method counted?- Do you think every action should be one point or users should be able to earn multiple points? (referrals for instance-with a cap)

What other suggestions to do have or want to see?

We are all about continuous improvement and doing better so let's do this TOGETHER! :)

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With past events we have had several different cases of cheating. From people running contests to enter our events to users buying junk email lists to get a crazy amount of referral points. We would much rather do these events than spend money on ads, but it is extremely challenging to monitor, manage, deal with cheating, etc. AlgaeBarn would love to find ways that both our customers and the company can benefit.

We understand you don't like how the last event was ran. We hear you. We are listening. We want to hear from you: How would you like to see the next event ran from start to finish?

How do you think the winner should be drawn?

How would you like to see each entry method counted?- Do you think every action should be one point or users should be able to earn multiple points? (referrals for instance-with a cap)

What other suggestions to do have or want to see?

We are all about continuous improvement and doing better so let's do this TOGETHER! :)
I think the way the contest was run was fine for the most part. The only thing that people were upset with was that their entry points were, in their eyes, kind of thrown out the window.

The only improvement I would recommend is to have a scheduled drop for the additional tasks. That creates a few site visits each week or so & keeps people engaged, rather than just checking back the last day. I'd assume having each person comeback at least once a week to solidify their interest, visit sponsors websites, learn about a new product, etc. would be ideal for you & the other sponsors. For example you could set it up like this:
  1. First week - Make sure they're following all the sponsors. (A lot of people already are anyway)
  2. Second week - History/About us/OurTanks
  3. Third Week - New/Spotlight Products
  4. Fourth Week - Here's how each company is helping to restore the reefs and/or help with aquaculturing. (You can use a giveaway to send traffic to lesser known products, articles about each company, "which pods are right for you", etc.)
As for referrals, I think "bonus points" for referrals, purchases, etc would be best. That way your active customers are rewarded, while non-customers still have a shot, but would have to complete all (or almost all) the tasks. It could also push people thinking about buying something over the edge.

Last thing is knowing how many points you have in relation to total potential would be nice.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back