Christmas Tree Worm Rock Difficulty to Maintain and Good Price?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok...as an alternative to regular Phyto and marine snow there's also this AF product that's a mixture of Phyto and zooplankton i linked here Here ...one bottle goes pretty far and since it's a mixture it might be a "two birds one stone" type of thing...what do you think? I was also thinking about increasing bacterioplankton populations with AF Pro Bio F (a carbon source for nano tanks) and just keep an airstone running for oxygenation...what do you think about that product and the Pro Bio F? The worms are really small right now so I doubt they could catch the baby brine or anything sizeable at all...
Ive used it- It ok.
Kent microvert is good and powedered Goniopower by two little fishies

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used it- It ok.
Kent microvert is good and powedered Goniopower by two little fishies
I can't get my hands on Kent microvert here and the goniopower is twice the price of the AF Phyto Mix...zoplan is an option but again a little pricey here...would the AF Phyto Mix suffice? Like I said, they're really small worms right now so not sure how much particulates they can catch (plus I'd imagine Reef Roids is similar to other powdered foods)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can't get my hands on Kent microvert here and the goniopower is twice the price of the AF Phyto Mix...zoplan is an option but again a little pricey here...would the AF Phyto Mix suffice? Like I said, they're really small worms right now so not sure how much particulates they can catch (plus I'd imagine Reef Roids is similar to other powdered foods)
it will

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they'd like Reef Roids? Currently i add a few pinches once to twice a week for the corals and am also dosing amino acids but that's it since it's a coral/invert only tank atm...i could start dosing Phyto again if you think theyd appreciate that...
I have a person selling a colony locally for much more than $75. As far as care, they said they blast with phyto mixed with reef roids in the am and ab+ in the pm. Some people feed only ab+, some only reef roids. Also depends on nutrients in your water column.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a person selling a colony locally for much more than $75. As far as care, they said they blast with phyto mixed with reef roids in the am and ab+ in the pm. Some people feed only ab+, some only reef roids. Also depends on nutrients in your water column.
I'll grab a bottle of that AF Phyto Mix since its a blend and tends to go a lot farther than just Phyto ime (price comparison wise, plus it's a mixture) and I'll throw some reef Roids in there as i already do (this piece actually went for only $45 not 75!) As for the AB+, i think the aminos I'm already dosing should be pretty similar....I'll be sure to monitor any changes closely.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this Brightwell Vitamarin-M that claims to provide a full spectrum of vitamins in the same ratios found in the tissues of filter feeding inverts that feed on plankton...i think I'll dose like a half dose weekly...i don't wanna overwhelm them...i doubt they were treated the best during transport and at the shop so they're pretty fragile right now

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unsure what to do regarding the AF Phyto Mix...it sounds like a highly beneficial supplement for these types of worms I just don't know how I'll be able to tell if it's benefitting the worms or not is the thing...any idea? The forums have been so mixed regarding Christmas Tree Worm nutrition...I've used the stuff before and I don't know if it helped anything or not...a bottle does last a while and this is a fishless system currently meaning nutrients are pretty low though...i do have a feather duster in there that's grown from a baby on a piece of live rock to pretty sizeable without dosing anything special although Christmas Tree Worms might need different nutrition. Also I'm about to have to invest in new calcium and alk tests so I'd prefer not to spend money unnecessarily but I do want them to thrive...unsure what to do atm...thoughts? Currently dosing AF Pro Bio F for bacterioplankton, AF Amino Mix, and live phyto along with a couple pinches of reef Roids once a week...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since its been a month and the worms seem to be doing well (i think they may have even grown just a little!) I ordered a supplemental light for the fish/starfish tank and plan to add one to it because I'm in love with these little guys! I can't tell how well the Porites is doing since it's lightened up from the original green slowly to a more brown color (pretty sure it's the more intense light that causes them to lighten up). However, after i saw what they were going for on corals.com and this piece is a good bit bigger than theirs even (6-8" across), i decided to pull the trigger. This one has more diversity of color among the worms than the other piece i got (in the pic). Screenshot_2022-12-26-19-06-45-747_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back