Chromis blue/green

Albyfit87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I just started putting fish in my new 80l reef aquarium. The aquarium has been cycling for nearly 4 weeks. So far i have only 2 clown fish, 1 scopa and 2 Chromis blue/green.
They all were very active in the acquarium, swimming around, sometimes fighting (clown VS clown & chromis vs Chromis).
16410926118373547488399472919167.jpg

This morning I woke up amd found the chromis hidden behing the Hydra filter, after few minutes she swom out was like she had difficult swimming and was tring to support its weight on the hydra filter. Late that morning i found it seating on the sand, not swimming and kind of moving its gills very fast. When I tried to feed the fish he came alive and active again but now it is again sitting on top of hydrafilter not moving. I also noticed that one of his bottom fins is kind of extended.
I checked the water and all the parametrs are fine.
Please if anyone has experienced this and could help. TIA

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally, many fish, including chromis will find a spot to sleep. mine are active soon after lights on. out of the two i have, one of them is a later riser than the other, so perhaps this is just their sleeping pattern, depending on how long they sit in that spot i guess.
if parameters are "fine", how much surface agitation is there? you will probably have some people ask what the parameters are, so you may as well just post those just to get it done with. apart from a fish disease, and from parameters, oxygenated water would be the first thing i would look for.

Upvote 0

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a full tank shot? If all you have for water movement is that internal filter tank could be low on oxygen.
You have 2 other likely scenarios.
1. Disease, sounds like you didn't quarantine the fish so unless you bought them from someone who does it is unfortunately very possible.
2. Bullying/stress which also will make it more susceptible to the point above

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Albyfit87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally, many fish, including chromis will find a spot to sleep. mine are active soon after lights on. out of the two i have, one of them is a later riser than the other, so perhaps this is just their sleeping pattern, depending on how long they sit in that spot i guess.
if parameters are "fine", how much surface agitation is there? you will probably have some people ask what the parameters are, so you may as well just post those just to get it done with. apart from a fish disease, and from parameters, oxygenated water would be the first thing i would look for.
I have a quite strong wave make to make enough water agitation. I tested ammonia and nitrate this morning and they were zero. Salinity test done with a refractometer was between 1.025 and 1.026. Temperature 25° Celsius.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Albyfit87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a full tank shot? If all you have for water movement is that internal filter tank could be low on oxygen.
You have 2 other likely scenarios.
1. Disease, sounds like you didn't quarantine the fish so unless you bought them from someone who does it is unfortunately very possible.
2. Bullying/stress which also will make it more susceptible to the point above
I believe that the other chromis might have bullied it and hurt it, especially because of the little fin seems hurt.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue green chromis are notorious for murdering each other. Usually when a fish hides in a poor spot (like behind a heater), it is being bullied.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back