Chromis gasping

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I've found a chromis this morning swimming around but at a noticeable nose down angle when stationary. It's also gasping. I've been performing a 8-10% water change over the past three mornings trying to reduce the nitrates and phosphates in order to help reduce the algae invasion. Any thoughts on this? I haven't tested for ammonia but suspect that it's nil with the water change regiment I've been doing.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I've found a chromis this morning swimming around but at a noticeable nose down angle when stationary. It's also gasping. I've been performing a 8-10% water change over the past three mornings trying to reduce the nitrates and phosphates in order to help reduce the algae invasion. Any thoughts on this? I haven't tested for ammonia but suspect that it's nil with the water change regiment I've been doing.
other fish in the tank?
assume nothing.

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about my post being a bit sparse. Tank's been up n going for about 2 years. 34g all in one. 25lbs live rock 3" sand bed. I've had 1 bangai cardinal for over a year probably closer to 18 months. Also had a fire shrimp the same amount of time. Two weeks ago I added 4 small chromis of about 3/4", a small fire fish of about 1" and a royal gramma also about 1".

Don't hate me but I didn't quarantine and yes I know it's risky. I've tried in the past and never had any success in a QT tank.

All fish were drip acclimated for 2.5 hours in a dark room. Then added into a dark tank. Next morning everything was swimming and eating hardily.

Three days after addition 1 chromis dropped and was never seen again. 1 week later another chromis dropped. This one was expected as I saw what appeared to be a bruise on it's right side. Figured it had a rough ride to the pet store. Didn't notice at the store but did once it was home.
Royal gramma dropped a couple days later. I see nor saw any signs of ick or other disease. Nothing was picking at these fish. All were eating and active up to the day before death.

Temp is 77.5 Salt 33ppt ph 7.8, nitrate was 8.88 Sunday (hence the water changes). There is some small amounts of cyano in the tank that I've been sucking out. I've also been vacuuming the sand bed to reduce nutrient build up. I've been doing this slowly. About a 6" square at a time. I've been doing this for a week or so. I've concentrated in one patch over the last three days and plan to move onto a new patch tomorrow.

I've been feeding twice a day. flak or small pellets in the morning. Frozen mysis, brine, dragon roe at night. One variety, not all at once. Also only what they can eat in about 2 mins.

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's no longer gasping.... Found it dead a short while ago. Wish I knew if it was the fish or something in my tank. I don't like loosing fish.

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my frustration I flushed it. Never thought about pics. I didn't see any blotches, spots etc. Looked fine yesterday.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chromis are one of the worst fish you can own imo. They have a very high mortality rate.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me 4 separate tries (batches this year) of fresh shipped chromis in a sanitized tank to get the last batch to not have uronema or issues. Knock on wood they made 3 months quarantine with meds and are living a wonderful life

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me 4 separate tries (batches this year) of fresh shipped chromis in a sanitized tank to get the last batch to not have uronema or issues. Knock on wood they made 3 months quarantine with meds and are living a wonderful life
So you're 4 batches of fish, did the strongest of the batches make it into the tank after each round or did you get 4 separate batches and just keep adding them to the quarantine tank until you had the amount of chromis you wanted in the display tank?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're 4 batches of fish, did the strongest of the batches make it into the tank after each round or did you get 4 separate batches and just keep adding them to the quarantine tank until you had the amount of chromis you wanted in the display tank?
Bought 3. After a few days the red spots showed up and one after one within a week gone. Bleached the tank and filter. Month or so later bought 5. Red spots showed after a week or so. Copper didn’t change anything. They all passed. Also to note it was a chromis only tank. So eventually just happened to go to a lfs. They a new shipment of like 50 chromis. I just started a new tank. Bought 4. Ended up with 4 and wow I’m thankful they are so happy and it worked out never had such a hard time

floatchop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about my post being a bit sparse. Tank's been up n going for about 2 years. 34g all in one. 25lbs live rock 3" sand bed. I've had 1 bangai cardinal for over a year probably closer to 18 months. Also had a fire shrimp the same amount of time. Two weeks ago I added 4 small chromis of about 3/4", a small fire fish of about 1" and a royal gramma also about 1".

Don't hate me but I didn't quarantine and yes I know it's risky. I've tried in the past and never had any success in a QT tank.

All fish were drip acclimated for 2.5 hours in a dark room. Then added into a dark tank. Next morning everything was swimming and eating hardily.

Three days after addition 1 chromis dropped and was never seen again. 1 week later another chromis dropped. This one was expected as I saw what appeared to be a bruise on it's right side. Figured it had a rough ride to the pet store. Didn't notice at the store but did once it was home.
Royal gramma dropped a couple days later. I see nor saw any signs of ick or other disease. Nothing was picking at these fish. All were eating and active up to the day before death.

Temp is 77.5 Salt 33ppt ph 7.8, nitrate was 8.88 Sunday (hence the water changes). There is some small amounts of cyano in the tank that I've been sucking out. I've also been vacuuming the sand bed to reduce nutrient build up. I've been doing this slowly. About a 6" square at a time. I've been doing this for a week or so. I've concentrated in one patch over the last three days and plan to move onto a new patch tomorrow.

I've been feeding twice a day. flak or small pellets in the morning. Frozen mysis, brine, dragon roe at night. One variety, not all at once. Also only what they can eat in about 2 mins.

Sounds like ammonia to me. Six new fish in a small tank would overload your system

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the future, pics would be helpful. They are susceptible to uronema and bacteria.
Parameters that would be of effect would be Ammonia, nitrate, high ph and salinity too high or low,

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back