Chromis have survived Uronema

Kielos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 4 blue-green chromis several weeks ago and within a few days two showed signs of uronema and quickly died. I happened to have some Flagyl (metronidazole) tablets as my wife is a nurse and so crushed them up and soaked mysis in them to give to the remaining two fish over the next week.
I have lot had much luck with chromis as they seem to always succumb to uronema whilst in quarantine and being in Australia, our LFS's don't sell metroplex.
So anyways, these two remaining fish did start to show the characteristic red band sores within a week and I thought that they would be gone for.
However, five weeks later and they are still alive and well in quarantine and I have not been treating them with anything since the original dose of metro (which may not have even been the right therapeutic dose to be effective).
Thing is they still have the sores. Whilst it looks like they are not as bad, and they may be healing, I am unsure as to whether they are still infected and therefore must stay longer in quarantine, or if they can go into my DT as they have likely "survived" uronema.
Any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I purchased 4 blue-green chromis several weeks ago and within a few days two showed signs of uronema and quickly died. I happened to have some Flagyl (metronidazole) tablets as my wife is a nurse and so crushed them up and soaked mysis in them to give to the remaining two fish over the next week.
I have lot had much luck with chromis as they seem to always succumb to uronema whilst in quarantine and being in Australia, our LFS's don't sell metroplex.
So anyways, these two remaining fish did start to show the characteristic red band sores within a week and I thought that they would be gone for.
However, five weeks later and they are still alive and well in quarantine and I have not been treating them with anything since the original dose of metro (which may not have even been the right therapeutic dose to be effective).
Thing is they still have the sores. Whilst it looks like they are not as bad, and they may be healing, I am unsure as to whether they are still infected and therefore must stay longer in quarantine, or if they can go into my DT as they have likely "survived" uronema.
Any suggestions?
You want to heal and clear them fully as uronema is transmittal. Best treatment choice is a 45 min formalin bath using Quick Cure then finished in a quarantine tank. Once in QT tank, treat and assure that the parasites have been eliminated. You can also soak food in metronidazole for 10-14 days.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I'm not a veterinarian or a scientist or biologist by any means. Lol.
It's a chromis. Similar to a anthias.
Yes they are susceptible to disease as is any fish... a stressed fish is a sick fish.
I don't qt and into the display the fish go.
D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You seem to have 'controlled' - not cured the infection. I would keep feeding the metronidazole as you have been doing. I would not necessarily add another medication/dip/etc. It's unclear exactly what dose the fish is getting - you could perhaps increase it somewhat. In the meantime - make sure they are getting excellent water quality - and excellent nutrition.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back