Chromis in distress - not eating

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a look at the pic below. I have 3 chromis and 2 are doing great. The one below is not eating, swimming in one spot, and sometimes listing to the side. See the sores on his side. Anyone know what this might be?

The sores are pink/rust color. There is a raised bump on the other side but he won't turn around so I can get a pic.

Chromis.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about as white as I can go with my Kessils. @Jay Hemdal , any ideas?

The sores are pink/rust color. There is a raised bump on the other side but he won't turn around so I can get a pic.

Chromis.jpg

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little guy freaked out when I shut off the lights and used a flashlight. He would not cooperate. I hope these are good enough.

Attachments

• Chromis2.jpg
    Chromis2.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Chromis.jpg
    Chromis.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 42

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a bit like a bite mark.
Is that the only mark on him?
Is that two or just one.
Also frequent with these fish.
I call them the 5,4,3,2,1 fish, cause they seem to be intent on being the only one.
I would not kill them, seems like an over action.
Maybe @Jay Hemdal will chime in.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one mark on the side and two on the other. The 2nd post in this thread shows the two marks on the other side of his body. I know the picture is blue, but I hope it conveys the issue.

Also, I have not witnessed any aggression between the 3 of them.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like uronema how long have you had them?
3 weeks. Been quickly reading up on uronema. Looks like can be typical in new chromis.

If this is uronema, looks like there are no viable treatment option so what should be my next steps?

1. Remove the fish from the DT? My current QT is currently housing hermit crabs on day 56. So no place to put him.
2. Or, do I wait it out to see if the chromis MIGHT survive?
3. Can I reduce the risk of the other chromis and wrasse catching the disease by removing the infected fish?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, all my fish have been professionally quarantined prior to purchase.
It does look like Uronema. A positive diagnosis can't be made without a microscope, but this is so common in green chromis that I think its a safe bet that's it....sorry.

You may have seen this, but here is my article on it:

Chloroquine would sometimes work when a fish had a light infection like this one, but I can't source that now in the US.

Jay

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for advice. 2 of the 3 chromis and carpenter's wrass are still eating agressively. But this chromis is not. Should I remove him and euthanize and hope the others survive, or let him stay and hope he recovers. I am concerned that if I leave him, it may make the tank worse. Just looking for advice and experience.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for advice. 2 of the 3 chromis and carpenter's wrass are still eating agressively. But this chromis is not. Should I remove him and euthanize and hope the others survive, or let him stay and hope he recovers. I am concerned that if I leave him, it may make the tank worse. Just looking for advice and experience.
Uronema is found in most aquariums. The other fish have already been exposed to it. If this one is still eating, I'd say let it go a bit longer - the Uronema diagnosis isn't 100%. If it stops feeding or begins breathing rapidly, then I would euthanize.

jay

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is found in most aquariums. The other fish have already been exposed to it. If this one is still eating, I'd say let it go a bit longer - the Uronema diagnosis isn't 100%. If it stops feeding or begins breathing rapidly, then I would euthanize.

jay
Yes, he is not breathing normally and hasn't eaten in 2 days. I'll give it more time but looks like I might have to put him down. Thank you Jay and everyone else who gave advice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he is not breathing normally and hasn't eaten in 2 days. I'll give it more time but looks like I might have to put him down. Thank you Jay and everyone else who gave advice.
Sorry, just saw the title of your post, yes I would euthanize....
Jay

Back