Chromis issues - Tails and scales

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Can someone please help.
I got 3 chromis and a coral beauty on Saturday and put them in my Qt.

Chromis issues:
1) The biggest chromis (1) chases the other two every now and then.
Second day I noticed the tips of the tails of both #2 and #3 chromis bitten off. The tips were intact the day I got them. I read this is normal behavior for chromis. I think I will create partitions to keep them separate till they recover. Possibly the aggression will decrease a bit when I transfer to the DT.

Concern:
1) Both #2 and #3, on the tails where they are bitten, I am seeing a white deposit or growth (hard to describe). Like crusty salt deposit. It's not huge but it is there. What is this?

2) I also noticed #2 has a few scales raised a bit on the side and some pale red color at the base of the fin on one side.

Can someone advice if I can add API general cure? Will that take care of everything?

Coral beauty poor guy seems to be caught in all this.

Thanks for all help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Pictures are tough to get, but good ones can really help. Chromis sometimes fight, and separating them is the way to go. The growths you are seeing could be lymphocystis, a mild viral disease that will go away on its own.
Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.
Should I start using API general cure?
Will it heal the bitten tail wounds and also possibly the uronema (if that is the raised scales)?

I am so new at all this... Any response will be great help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are really important here. General Cure isn't going to help with bacterial diseases or Uronema.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I will post some pictures once I reach home this evening.

Update:
1) I think the raised scales on chromis #2 have almost gone back in place now. Still a tiny bit raised but much improvement than the day before.
2) All 3 chromis are still eating like crazy. So that must be a good sign.

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
Please see pics below.
Pics 1, 2, 4 - Chromis #2
Pic 3 - Chromis # 3
Pic 5 - Chromis #2 &#3

Note white stuff on tails for both.

And chromis #2 has a white spec on the scales where the scales were raised till yesterday.

Chromis #1 is biggest in size. Pic not taken since he looks fine every way and being complete boss.

IMG_20210310_190506.jpg
IMG_20210310_190539.jpg
IMG_20210310_185049.jpg
IMG_20210310_185122.jpg
IMG_20210310_190604.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tail injuries do look mildly infected. The best thing to do would be to dose them with antibiotics as a precaution. Any broad spectrum gram negative type would be suitable; furan-2, Maracyn 2 or Neoplex perhaps.
Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendation.

So I can order Furan2 and get started on that.

I am so relieved you did not say they have uronema. Almost every post about chromis seems to mention about it. LoL.

Is it okay if I post pictures after a few days for your review again?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, hope things go well. Uronema is always on the body of the fish - red elongated lesions usually.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow...so is Furan2 capable of getting rid of the uronema (if it is on my fish)?

Also I have a coral beauty in the same QT (not eating - 6 days now ☹️) with the Chromis. Anyways should I consider that the CB also has uronema on it?

Otherwise all the fish seem fine and alert/active.

Thanks for all your help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow...so is Furan2 capable of getting rid of the uronema (if it is on my fish)?

Also I have a coral beauty in the same QT (not eating - 6 days now ☹️) with the Chromis. Anyways should I consider that the CB also has uronema on it?

Otherwise all the fish seem fine and alert/active.

Thanks for all your help.
No - all I meant was the fish’s tail problem isn’t Uronema. The CB not eating for that long is a separate, but really big problem! How does your water test out, what foods have you tried on it? Was it eating for the dealer before you got it?
Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand.
So Chromis first - I will get started on the Furan2. And can I also use API general cure along with it? Do I need to? Or just Furan2 is good for now based on pictures.

For the CB - I read online that it is an easy to care fish so got it. My water is new just 4 days old. And I will keep changing it frequently. I have tried bryne shrimp, marine Cuisine, flake food. I am thinking if I should get nori and try it out?

Really two separate issues for a beginner. Huh.

But I appreciate all your responses. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose just the furan 2 for now. I would say that coral beauties are actually very difficult to work with if wild caught. I avoid them myself.
Be sure the ammonia level in such a new tank is kept below 0.25 ppm
Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB seems to lick at the glass, heater wire and every other thing that is not food. I wonder if there is anything growing on surfaces that I cannot see. But I think it's too soon for any growth.

I have just seen it twice take in a brine shrimp and not spit out. Otherwise just not interested in food.

Should I try feeding it nori or clams?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB seems to lick at the glass, heater wire and every other thing that is not food. I wonder if there is anything growing on surfaces that I cannot see. But I think it's too soon for any growth.

I have just seen it twice take in a brine shrimp and not spit out. Otherwise just not interested in food.

Should I try feeding it nori or clams?
I agree, your tank surfaces would not have any food on them. You should try other foods, removing all uneaten food after 30 minutes or so. Ultimately though, some CB arrive in poor condition due to collection problems that they never start eating. Additionally, there could be some unidentified problem in your tank that is causing it not to eat....
Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes I make sure to remove extra uneaten food etc. I might get nori sheets from Walmart or something and see if he eats it.

Update on chromis - I feel some kinda pecking order has been established. They still do the chasing game every now and then but I am not seeing any ripped fins or tails. Infact noticing some slow regrowth of the tails. And that white stuff although not disappeared completely, it has not grown any bigger and infact it seems to have shrunk everywhere.

Also it's been a week now and thankfully I have not seen any red patches or anything (like I see for uronema in pictures). Sorry I keep bringing up Uronema, I guess it's stuck in my head after I read after purchase that Chromis= Uronema hahaha

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question..... What do you recommend in a sump refugium - Chaeto or the sea lettuce?
I haven't used Ulva (sea lettuce) in tropical tanks, only temperate, so I can't advise you on that, sorry.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bluedesertfalcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a diatom outbreak in my display tank. It seems to be covering everything and increasing. My tank was setup in me d December so a good 3 month old and the brown stuff started appearing since the last 2-3 weeks.

Can you advise anything...what should I do?

I read so many forums and getting more confused. And what is PO4, GFO etc..

Please advise. Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back