Chromis now snails

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I had a post a while ago about my blue Chromis that ended up dying. Now after a month, my snails seem to be dying off one by one. About a week prior to the Chromis dying. I added two clown fish. The clown fish were in a QT tank for three weeks and treated with copper. So I don’t think they introduced anything. I think the Chromis may have died due to stress. He was the only tank inhabitant for 3 years.
I’ve had a total of 5 snails in the tank for 6 months. They’ve recently reproduced and I have somewhere between 50-100 snails in this tank. Last week I had a snail the was flipped over. I flipped him back but he never moved again. The following week, another did the same. And now this week I lost another. I also have a conch in the tank. It appears his shell has started to turn white. I first thought it was the snails, they are always on top of him cleaning him. But now I’m thinking maybe it’s a sign of whatever is going on. Here are my parameters.

1150mag- it’s low. And I’m about to start raising it. But I heard only high magnesium is dangerous to snails.

0 phosphates

375 calcium

7.8 alkalinity

0 ammonia

5-10 nitrates

many ideas would be greatly appreciated. I figure maybe someone has seen this before!

OP
OP
T

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ammonia or your magnesium test is off
I thought that too. I do have a hang on ammonia test that is showing zero. I also ordered another salifert ammonia test kit. I’ll see if I can get another magnesium test kit as well.

OP
OP
T

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did another test on magnesium and calcium. I read calcium should be about 3 to 1 ratio to magnesium. My magnesium tested at 1110. Did a calcium test and it came back at 370. So doing the math, it seems the kits are accurate. But I’ll take a sample to the LFS tomorrow just to confirm.

Of course, now I’m wondering. When I draw regent fluid into the salifert syringe. How much of an air bubble is supposed to be present? I’ve seen anywhere from 1.5 to .5. No idea now if it’s even accurately drawing up fluid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, but low Mag shouldn't kill fish or snail. Maybe some contamination?
The only thing I can think of is my filter floss introduced some small fibers into the tank a little bit ago. I’ve since stopped using that floss. But maybe that some how effected the snails. I’m at a loss.

PNWReefer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of is my filter floss introduced some small fibers into the tank a little bit ago. I’ve since stopped using that floss. But maybe that some how effected the snails. I’m at a loss.
What kind of floss? Some have chemical if it's fire retardant.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing snails over time is pretty common, in some cases they just outstrip the algae they need for food and they starve. Losing snails all at the same time, or snails that close up all at the same time is more of an indication of a systemic issues.

Jay

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve seen the plunger should be one 1 and fluid level should be on 85. And yes how fast you draw it up can brace a difference of 5 to 10. They definitely work better when there new.

OP
OP
T

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of floss? Some have chemical if it's fire retardant.

Thank you all for your responses. The floss I’m using is technically a filter pad by lifeguard. I got it from BRS. It’s supposed to be for marine tanks. I’ve just been cutting it into strips and putting it in my filter cup. But I’m tossing it anyway. May start using a sponge too (cleaning it often of course).

Losing snails over time is pretty common, in some cases they just outstrip the algae they need for food and they starve. Losing snails all at the same time, or snails that close up all at the same time is more of an indication of a systemic issues.

Jay

I think this is more what I’m leaning towards. I have up to about 100 snails in my tank. They are probably just keeping it way too clean. I bought some algae tablets to supplement. Maybe this will work.

From what I’ve seen the plunger should be one 1 and fluid level should be on 85. And yes how fast you draw it up can brace a difference of 5 to 10. They definitely work better when there new.

Ok thanks. I’m getting it to be around 10. Maybe I’m drawing fluid too fast. I’m going to take a sample to the LRS and see if he gets the same results. I also may invest in a Hanna kit. They seem to be the most fool proof. Testing parameters seems to be the hardest part for me!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back